User Tag List

Page 248 of 291 FirstFirst ... 148 198 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... LastLast
Results 4,200 to 4,216 of 4942
  1. #4200
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think you are right, 2 players for MS in Asiad badminton and could be based on WR to qualify. If LD plays in March and qualify for WC, then I think he will play in individual MS. With 2 players , then LD will be in opposite half to CL and it will be tough for LCW to possibly play both to win his major.

  2. #4201
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Heard on the radio that he will be taking part in Rio 2016.
    I would expect LD to play RIO16. If LD does not play OLY16, I bet he will kick himself later on for passing up this once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Winning 3rd OLY gold will be a record that is impossible to beat, just imagine the endorsement value going up and up, the sky the limit.
    Looking back, LD really screwed up on OLY04 when he was WR1, if LD had taken OLY04 gold, that would be incredible going for a 4th, but that is hindsight now.
    LD proved he can still win WC13 beating top condition WR1 player with short training and long SS layoff, why not RIO16 if LD gets serious on training and playing the circuit from March 14 onwards?
    LCW will be older too when RIO comes. The threat is CL but if LD can rank next to CL, then it is a sure thing LD will be in opposite half to CL regardless of the draw.
    RIO is a long way to go, more than 2 yrs counting. IMO, the other serious threats are from the current younger players e.g. the 2 KOR, 2 JAP that when RIO comes calling, these players will be 2 years older and wiser, who knows if they peak at the right time.

  3. #4202
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    14,345
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    this is a puzzling news. Park JB says he is vehemently opposed to BWF granting another wild card to Lin Dan in 2014 WC, which will not be held in China.

    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-01-...56983350.shtml
    That's why, imho, PJB cannot compare with LYB who demands from his charges that any tournament/title won without Lee CW's participation doesn't count. Which is also why I believe someone like Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen was elected president of BWF because he looks at the large picture and puts aside his own feelings and preferences; incidentally, he is also recently appointed an IOC member.

    Anyway, let's not rehash this issue here and direct him and other like-minded people to our relevant thread and poll result, i.e. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-got-wild-card , http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...hips-Yes-or-no

  4. #4203
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    this is a puzzling news. Park JB says he is vehemently opposed to BWF granting another wild card to Lin Dan in 2014 WC, which will not be held in China.

    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-01-...56983350.shtml
    I think this is also because if LD wins another WC, he will break PJB's record of 5 WC won

  5. #4204
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    14,345
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I won't be surprised if Lin Dan skips this year's WC. As for the Asian Games, I think the qualification quota is 2 players per nation in each category, not necessarily based on world ranking (that's why WYH's place though she was WR1 was taken by WSX) but picked by the respective national sports body, if I'm not wrong.

    I think it more likely for Lin Dan to participate in the Asian games than the WC as the former is more important for national glory than the latter. My understanding is that Lin Dan's comeback in March is to prepare for the next Olympic cycle, the WC'14 is secondary whether he is qualified or not,otherwise he wouldn't have extended his break another six months after the last WC; the Rio Olympics being his ultimate goal.

  6. #4205
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down The trouble is BWF is not clear with their decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    I won't be surprised if Lin Dan skips this year's WC. As for the Asian Games, I think the qualification quota is 2 players per nation in each category, not necessarily based on world ranking (that's why WYH's place though she was WR1 was taken by WSX) but picked by the respective national sports body, if I'm not wrong.

    I think it more likely for Lin Dan to participate in the Asian games than the WC as the former is more important for national glory than the latter. My understanding is that Lin Dan's comeback in March is to prepare for the next Olympic cycle, the WC'14 is secondary whether he is qualified or not,otherwise he wouldn't have extended his break another six months after the last WC; the Rio Olympics being his ultimate goal.
    .
    It would be great if Lin Dan could participate.

    The trouble is BWF made no decision; as to whether our badminton should be considered as a team sport, or an individual sport.

    If considered as a team sport, players should be selected by their national associations (no matter what rankings their players are placed).

    If considered as an individual sport, players should be accepted only by their world rankings.
    .

  7. #4206
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,786
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    That's why, imho, PJB cannot compare with LYB who demands from his charges that any tournament/title won without Lee CW's participation doesn't count. Which is also why I believe someone like Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen was elected president of BWF because he looks at the large picture and puts aside his own feelings and preferences; incidentally, he is also recently appointed an IOC member.

    Anyway, let's not rehash this issue here and direct him and other like-minded people to our relevant thread and poll result, i.e. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-got-wild-card , http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...hips-Yes-or-no

    Although I don't like LD much personally, in retrospect, LD vs LCW in the final of WC2013 was one of the best badminton matches in recent memory. I think it was a right decision for BWF to have granted LD the wild card.

    But this year, the WC will be held in Denmark, and now there is a change of guard at the top of BWF. I don't know if LD will get wild card twice in one's career.

  8. #4207
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    I won't be surprised if Lin Dan skips this year's WC. As for the Asian Games, I think the qualification quota is 2 players per nation in each category, not necessarily based on world ranking (that's why WYH's place though she was WR1 was taken by WSX) but picked by the respective national sports body, if I'm not wrong.

    I think it more likely for Lin Dan to participate in the Asian games than the WC as the former is more important for national glory than the latter. My understanding is that Lin Dan's comeback in March is to prepare for the next Olympic cycle, the WC'14 is secondary whether he is qualified or not,otherwise he wouldn't have extended his break another six months after the last WC; the Rio Olympics being his ultimate goal.
    I am with you on your post. If LD does comes back in March, AG is his target as well as CHN's too. Agree that WC14 and these SS are secondary, LD has transformed into a gold miner/collector, it is all about OLY16's 3rd gold.
    The way LD played in WC13, he was pacing himself and played just enough to win, than the previous run-and-gun style of play that is open to injury. Smart player. But I still hope he plays WC14, go for the 6th...hoot...hoot...

  9. #4208
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    14,345
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woffle View Post
    I think this is also because if LD wins another WC, he will break PJB's record of 5 WC won
    Interesting point. But PJB's 5 WC record is in MD whereas Lin Dan's is in MS, the blue riband event, no direct comparison to me.

  10. #4209
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    in front of my lappie
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Interesting point. But PJB's 5 WC record is in MD whereas Lin Dan's is in MS, the blue riband event, no direct comparison to me.
    PJB also won some in XD, am i right? He had 2 shots in one WC edition, while LD just have one.

  11. #4210
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,718
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    PJB also won some in XD, am i right? He had 2 shots in one WC edition, while LD just have one.

    PJB won 3 XD WC titles and 2 MD WC titles. In 1985 he won both same year, also in 1991. So he only won gold at 3 world championships. No comparison to modern day badminton and LD.

  12. #4211
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    14,345
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Heard that Lin Dan may start his comeback tournaments with Swiss Open GPG, Mas Open GPG in March and the rebranded and upgraded Badminton Asia Championships in April (BAC, not to be confused with the Asian Games, a multi-sport event in Incheon,Korea, from 19th Sep to 4th Oct 2014).

    For a start, no Superseries tourneys as Lin Dan's ranking of 100+ (103 as of now) is too low to qualify.

  13. #4212
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Heard that Lin Dan may start his comeback tournaments with Swiss Open GPG, Mas Open GPG in March and the rebranded and upgraded Badminton Asia Championships in April (BAC, not to be confused with the Asian Games, a multi-sport event in Incheon,Korea, from 19th Sep to 4th Oct 2014).

    For a start, no Superseries tourneys as Lin Dan's ranking of 100+ (103 as of now) is too low to qualify.
    if he can manage a win and a couple of runner-ups for those 3 t'ments he will be back to top30 or there about thus no more qualifications for SS.

  14. #4213
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As Arnold Schwarzenegger said 'I be back'....and LD will be back, target AG14 for sure but also WC14.

  15. #4214
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Slum
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's purely academic to compare these two. The excitement and fantastic skills LD has created in the last decade will be remembered by people for a very long time until another super talent comes up. I'm pretty sure more people remember Zhao Jianhua than PJB, although he's only won one WC title. I think LD knows very well his status in badminton history.


    Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    PJB also won some in XD, am i right? He had 2 shots in one WC edition, while LD just have one.

  16. #4215
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is about time for CL to carry the flag in this WC. The future of LD will depend on the outcome.

  17. #4216
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    While reading some threads on the forum, i read several posts about lin dan getting back to yonex. Any informations ?

Similar Threads

  1. Lin Dan and Xie Xingfang pics.. ( 林丹 / 谢杏芳 )
    By kwun in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 1832
    : 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •