Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Name: Dan LIN
    Date of Birth: 14 OCT 1983
    Height: 1.76 m / 5'10"
    Profession:
    Hobbies:
    Other Sports Activities:
    Olympic Event: Badminton
    Olympic Qualification:
    NOC Code: CHN
    Place of Birth:
    Weight: 72 kg / 159 lbs
    Marital Status:
    Started Competing:
    National Coach:
    Personal Best:
    Season Best:
    Olympic Solidarity: No

General Interests
    Nickname: Super Dan. (nbcolympics.com 19/07/04)
    Handedness: L
    AddInformation: Other Information
    CROWD FAVOURITE
    He entertains the crowd with his attention-getting theatrics include pirouetting up after diving to make a shot and, more famously, tearing off his shirt and tossing it into the crowd after a particularly satisfying win. (nbcolympics.com 19/07/04)

Highlights
    The Competition Highlights section contains the following results:
    Last Olympic Cycle; Top 8 results at Olympic Games and World Championships. Top 3 results at World Grand Prix competitions.
    Historical; Medals at Olympic Games and World Championships.
    Rnk Event Year Venue
    World Grand Prix
    Winner Singles 2004 Yonex German Open
    Winner Singles 2004 Denmark Open
    Winner Singles 2004 Yonex All England Open
    Winner Singles 2004 Swiss Open
    Winner Singles 2003 Realkredit Denmark Open
    Winner Singles 2003 Hong Kong Open
    Winner Singles 2003 China Open
    Winner Singles 2002 Noonnoppi Korea Open
    Runner-up Singles 2003 Yonex German Open
    Runner-up Singles 2001 Denmark Open
    Semi Final Singles 2004 Yonex Japan Open
    Semi Final Singles 2002 All England Open

#1 seawell, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  2. seawell

seawell Regular Member

3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Lin Dan talked about his inspiration (anyone good in translation could help to convert into English):

http://sports.sohu.com/20091002/n267042074.shtml

(btw, surprisingly there is no long thread under Lin Dan, only this very old one...., perhaps people feel no need to talk about him....)

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Partly..^^

..BC wasn't as populated and as active back then. People were still buzzing abt Taufik, Gade, Chen Hong back in 2004.

5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Eddy Choong, Tang Hsienhu 'The Thing', Rudy Hartono, Liem Swee King, Erland Kops, Morten Frost, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua.

The above are legends in the game (am sure there are a few more). I never had the chance to watch them in action.

BUT ... I am glad I get to see Lin Dan who is up there with this special group.

Legends.

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    First, LD height at 5' 10". When I approached LD at WC05 and asked to take a photo of him, he obliged, he sure is about my height at 5' 8". Either LD is wearing high heels, grow a few inches since then or I must have shrunk, or a combination of both:p:D
    My wife just came back from MAS, she happened to turn on the TV and saw LD in action in CO09 in MAS. She has heard me talked about LD many times before but she would not see video or go see live play of baddy, saying it is boring and rather see Survivor, etc. and would not go to WC05 at that time with us.
    This time on TV at MAS, she was so impressed with LD play on TV and said LD played so easy and actually toying around. Now, she wants to see LD play LIVE (that is the magic of LD, guys, when LD is done, we sure would miss his play and so is Dato too), so I said, then let's go to the next WC in Europe or Asia and then a European/Asian vacation after that, and I told her, if Dato play LD in final, that is worth the price of admission alone. I have been looking for company to WC10, now I got one..hope she doesn't change her mind...hahaha!!!:p

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-If you want her to watch LinDan play live..

..and at the same time be close to her family, plan ahead for a trip back to M'sia for next yr's Thomas & Uber Cup. I read there will possibly be a big BC get-together...You'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone...I'm sure your wifey would prefer that plan better than traveling to Europe..;):cool:

9. ct3833

ct3833 Regular Member

Manager
    Hope no misrepresentation in the translation. Here is goes.........

Lin Dan has this to say in one of the interview, "Don’t mention one is an Olympic champion, or for which world champion is he, how many world number one title one has captured, for how long he could continue to be world number one, I feel that these are not what I want, " . This article shares with the reader Lin Dan’s aspiration, and it starts from his three turning points.

The first turning point of Lin Dan was in 1997, when he was 14 years old, and still a small team player of People's Liberation Army. "We were at the end of 1997 to Fujian Putian Nanri Island military training for 20 days, because at that time I still fancy sci-fi films, US movies, or worshipping of celebrities, after returning from the more than 20 days of People's Liberation Army training, I felt that the PLA and officers are impressive, I just feel could not take it any more from the 20 days of experience, upon returned, I realized that if you want to be a good athlete, one will have to be serious and dedicated to do his job well. "said Lin Dan.

The experience made Lin Dan learned to be serious, even now he remains the most serious players on the training ground. "Lin Dan’s training is of the best quality in the China's badminton team," said Zhong Bo, the Deputy Chief coach of the China badminton team. "Basically, no one could reach his level of training, his attitude of training really have very very high expectation upon himself, so he is quite different from other athletes in this aspect. He would practice how the way he should be, and is very committed, I think this could extend Lin Dan’s presence in sport.

Lin Dan benefits significantly from the army life, until today he still preserved his signature action after his victory- the military salute. "One is a tribute to the PLA, and the other one is to tell people I am also a PLA athlete, I am also a PLA, I am not just the national team athletes, I am also a PLA athlete, I am very proud." Lin Dan explained his signature action.

Because of his commitment and dedication, Lin Dan has soon stood out from the same group of players. In 2001 the Ninth National Games men's singles semi-finals, the 18-year-old Lin Dan beaten famous player Chen Gang, to be selected in the national team(I think like division A). "At that time I felt that I was finally being selected into the national first division teams, and to ask what size you wear Lin Dan ah, very excited to be issued a national jersey, with a China national flag and your name, this is my first ever jersey. " Said Lin Dan with his recollection.

Shortly one year after putting on the national team jersey, Lin Dan captured the first championship in 2002 Badminton Open competition , in 2004, being the primary player of the men's singles, he had helped China to recoup the Thomas Cup, winning his first world champion. Just when he was branded "talented player", he experienced a second turning point

He lost out in the first round of 2004 Athens Olympic Games, in 2005 World Championship Final, he lost to Taufik Hidayat with a huge margin. "Then my biggest experience was that you can climb really fast, but you could fall even faster. From the younger time when you feel like you are still ok, until being beaten by the reality of poor competition results again and again, I began to realize that it was not the case, no one player can be a genius, he has to put in a great deal of effort, may be in return for only a small gain. " Lin Dan relate his view to his failures.

Lin Dan learned from the second turning point to be hard working, serious and hard working, coupled with his talent in badminton. the era of Super Dan began in 2006, two consecutive World Championship titles in 06 and 07, two Sudirman in 05 and 07 Cup champion, 05 and 06 two-time World Cup champion, 04,06 and 08 three time consecutive Thomas Cup champion, Lin Dan was eagered and looking forward to win the gold medal in 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, so as to become the first person in the world badminton Grand Slam. This desire has driven Lin Dan in the way he prepared for the Olympic Games, both in training intensity and psychological state, are closed to the extreme limit. "He treated his own training too hard," said Xie XF, "I was very worried, I said you train so hard now, I am afraid you will overwork, you may become too tired during the Olympic Game, are know very well that was not a good condition, he told me no, I have to treat every daily training like playing Olympic Games final.

Could some one help continue.....thanks.

jiunn likes this.
  10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Actually, that is what I am thinking too as I will be making a trip home next year, I am debating on MAS Open or TC (forget about UC, there is no fun with nobody to compete against CHN anyway)...TC is held in July/August, that may conflict with our vacation plan here.;)

11. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Any Lin dan fans , here know what Lin dan is using now for his string and his shoes has switched to another Li ning model, any Lin dan fans can help..?

Thanks!

12. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    for five years, this Lin Dan fan thread has gotten only 10 reply's with 3000+ views. wow......lol

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Go for the T&UC..

..they're much more fun; besides LinDan might not show up for next yr's M'sia Open...as for when next yr's TC & UC will be held, i'll let you read & find out in this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55740

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    You may be right LD might not play MO10 but then again, he might play just to prove that he can win and silence the critic...TC, I am quite sure he would play and again in 2012...and if (that is a big IF) HH responds well to Hendrawan training and play 3rd singles against BCL, MAS might have a slim chance, provided Dato beat LD at home, WCH play sacrificial lamb to CJ, KKK/TBH win, Fuzzy could win too...maybe too much to hope for;)

15. nicholai

nicholai New Member

Student
    Very Good Player

I think there is no player can defeat Lin Dan easily nowadays. Very SUPERB!!!:p

16. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

... I thought he deserves a thread solely under his name like this, therefore re-activate this old thread...

... this could also be more neutral platform than addition of any personally preferred description like the one you attached..., so that people would not just focus on one point throughout the whole thread... ;)

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

whether you like LD or not, he does have this kinds of magic and charm in attacting more fans to badminton, this is good for badminton sport as a whole...

for a sport to prosper, you do need stars, who are not only able to win champions, but to win more new fans (and then more financial support) to the sport....

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, this is pretty impressive indeed:p lol.
    1 Badminton central.:cool:

19. SImplelenna

SImplelenna Regular Member

what happened to Fan of LD ? there are a lot of news about Him, and the new one is his birthday , I saw the pic on News paper but pity I can't translated it,I can't read the language:)

20. kooixh

kooixh Regular Member

student
    why lin dan dint attend so many ss