Tensioning range

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by hongyi_2000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

Hi guys...would u guys plz tell me wad's the highest tension that a 2U MP-100 can stands? i currently strung it at 28Lb...wanna try 31.Lb but afraid it cannot tkae it...it's a expensive racket so i wun wanna risk it

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Officially, you are already well over the maximum recommended tension (Yonex recommends something like 22 lbs). Unofficially, who knows? Few of us have tested our rackets at such extreme tensions. Most people around here seem to string at 23-24lbs.

But why on earth would you want 31 lbs of tension? That's high even for professionals. You're obviously not a pro - they don't come to BF asking equipment questions. Are you phenomenally strong, with incredibly quick racket swings?

Or are you just another "high tension = big ****" macho amateur?

Anyway, I think 31 lbs is dangerous for a MP100. It is much more likely to break, as you pointlessly increase the string tension.

#2 Gollum, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  3. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Now now, remember what kwun said about being nice to newbies. :eek:

hongyi, Gollum does have a point that having 31 Ib provides no benefit to your game. In fact what you want is the ideal tension that optimizes your style, strength, and ability at this time. Of course as your game matures, you can change that tension (up OR DOWN). But I'd say untill you have a solid grasp on many more aspects of your technique, your equipment certainly won't be the limiting factor at this time.

Afterall, a good player with a wooden racquet can easily beat someone with the latest Yonex racquet. That should be a good hint that the greatest gains are within yourself. Equipment is just the fine tuning.

4. crovax

crovax Regular Member

This is what i heard..
    Higher tension = Better for smashing
    Lower tension = Better for net play(drop shots)

Is that right??

5. 604badder

604badder Member

No no, the other way around. Have a search on this site crovax, and also there is a sticky on ideal tension too, please read that over. In short, higher tension gives better control, so in your words, better for net play (and other accuracy related issues too for just about any shot).

Lower tension will give you more contact time with the shuttle (due to the string bed bending), so you will have imparted a force on the shuttle for a longer time, giving more power (i.e. better for smashing)

6. crovax

crovax Regular Member

Oh ok
    Thanks badder..

7. Infernal

Infernal Regular Member

hmm..but isn't there a limit to that?..i mean a 14lb tension racqet is not gonan give more power than a 20lb tension is it??

8. Mikell

Mikell Regular Member

There is surely a limit. Normally we are talking about tension 18-32 or even more.

Well, hongyi might just want to have a try of such high tension. You dont know the feeling better unless you try it out yourself. I myself sometimes want to try such HIGH tension. :p :p

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    If you are not a stringer, or if you don't know how to string, you better watch out for one thing.

Some beginner kid went to some shop and ask for stringing his MP100 for 30 pounds, the store owner looked at him and said ok. The next day, this kid picked his racket up and played with my friends and me. Guess what, from the touch of the stringbed, I say the racket is in fact, around 20 pounds, not over 22 pound the most. I can tell as I am a stringer myslef. But that kid is so pround of himself for being able to use "30 pounds". (Of course I didn't tell him because he will feel bad). :rolleyes:

So, here you go. If you are a beginner or just normal player and you think you have your racket strung at 30 or any other high tension, you better make sure if that's the truth :rolleyes: .

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    At high tensions, above 30lbs, the string doesn't move from what I've seen. It's so taut and straight that when you hit your hand it's like using a plank of wood and hitting it.

If you're sure you can handle that stiffness in the string, go for it. But it is harder to find the sweet spot with such high tensions.

P.S At 30lbs and above using BG66 and a Cab30, it makes a pretty good fly swatter. Just hit the fly and you hear no sound at all, and you'll see 2 black bits on the floor ;)

11. 604badder

604badder Member

Most definitely there is a limit to that. As the other posters said, the range will be 18 and up all the way to whatever causes your racquet to self implode. :D :D The agreed upon standard number we here at BF have decided to recommend for beginners and intermediates is 23lb. It's a you can't go wrong level. Have a look up for that thread. And as you have guessed, as you go very low or very high, there will be diminishing gains in the property that you are looking for (i.e. more power, or more control)

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I used to use my trusty MP99 with BG66 to do that all the time. But it was too disgusting..... :p

Now I use my Cab20 with BG65 to do that. The fly now will still be one piece because I simply just knock it out (it will hit the wall HARD and it woud just pass out). Then I just pick it up and throw it outside of my door :)

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Since you are at 28lb now, why not satisfy your curiousity by going 31lb? I applaud your willingness to try to find out your upper limits. No venture, no gain.
    BTW stringing to 31lb is not a problem if you use a good stringer, even with a 2-point stringing machine, although a machine with 4 V-shaped side supports is inherently safer. :D

14. hongyi_2000

OK...guys...first...im not a noob jus curious...2nd i had no prob clearing from base a cross court wif a 28lb sometime still can get out...so i would like to have a higher control instead of power...thanks guys

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Work on your technique!! Work on your technique!! Work on your technique!!

16. hongyi_2000

erm...Im looking for a coach but to no avail...

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is good to hear you can easily clear cross court from the back corner of one end to the opposite corner of the other end. But try that when you are stranded in mid-court and the shuttle has almost reached the corner end on your side. Everything is relative. ;)

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I think Jens Eriksen used/uses an MP100 and he has it strung at a very high tension. Maybe 35/36 lb.
    But he doesn't have to worry about how much an MP100 costs...

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I agree. If the re-string job won't cost too much for you, and be careful with ur racket (no bump, clash, etc), why not take a shot? Also, be nice to ur arm, if u feel tired easily, don't over push for it.

If you don't like the feeling of 31lb, just cut the string, and go back to 28.

20. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    rememebr that its not just about clearing at whatever tension your at. its about hitting with taht tension for hours on end and not feeling pain. I can hit with 30 lbs for an hour, but past that , i feel extreme fatigue and my arm is sore already. As for the hour i used it, it felt great but.... my shots were short ^_^. I was able to clear full court, but once i was out of position even just a bit, they were so short.. . Don't forget drives. Your drives will slow down A LOT. So if you want more contorl, i say just practice your shots. Going up in tension cost more money to restring and risks the life of your racket even more than it is at risk.