Singles strategy

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ploppers, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Hi, I've been playing for about 7 months and I've started to really play seriously. Now, I am going to be playing at high performance, but when ever I play against my club's 1st seat player, I never seem to be able to hit the right shots. My drops and net shots are better than him, but he is a fast and very deceptive player. I've especially have had trouble when he hits a net serve because I do not know where to stand. Could you help me out with where to stand after a net seve and also where to hit if it is near you backhand, but you can round the head hit it (I can't seem to get it in far corner).

Thanks

2. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Yea... i used to be a double player... but swopped to single... had a hard time playing catching birdies coz i really dun have the speed ... but now i am fine with it... Just set a point (somewhere in a centre for mobility to cover all 4 corners in 1-3 steps) and return to that point after every shot return.... it tends to be rather tiring... but thats the best way to return...

3. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

since this guys a fast player...slow down the game a little, use slower clears to break his rythm. A coach once told me that the person who controls the rythm of the game usually is the winner.

hope that helps....

4. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

My problem is that he has a fairly strong baseline smash which may end up with him getting a point quite often. I try serving a net serve and standing slightly to my left in case of a backhand shot, but whenever I do that, he nabs me and cross drops to my right corner (I'm right handed) which then I have to rush and waste a lot of energy. I know I am more in shape than him, but his short rally shots always kill me (I always kill him in long rallys ;p).

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    try turning him. When he hits straight, play cross court - this can break the rhythm of the rusher and can also work for players who are taller than you.

Obviously its not a hard and fast rule, but give it a try it might work. ;)

6. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

My main problem is that I'm not sure If I should stand in the middle after net serves because whenever I do, I leave my backhand more venrable. Should I stand closer to the left when I serve a net serve from my right side to his.

7. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    if your afraid your opponent will smash at you after you serve, then try doing some low serves. That'll certainly take away his offensive attributes and of course if he's not expecting it, get you a free point.

\

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

In the middle.
    If you can't reach the right-hand corner maybe:
    you're footwork isn't good enough
    you are moving to early (anticipating/guessing your opponent's reply)
    you're ready position isn't good enough (are you on the balls of your feet?)
    you're low serve isn't good enough (is your opponent taking it when the shuttle is quite high?)

If you have to cover your backhand corner maybe:
    you're backhand isn't good enough
    you're footwork isn't good enough
    you are moving to early (anticipating/guessing your opponent's reply)

maybe you shouldn't be doing a low serve against this player (until you improve other parts of your game)

9. Neil Nicholls

Is your high serve really deep enough?
    Where are your opponents feet when he hits the smash?
    Behind the baseline (good serve)
    In the tramlines (OK-ish serve)
    closer to the net than the tramlines (poor serve)

If your opponent can hit a winner from the baseline off a serve, he can probably hit a winner anytime you lift the shuttle, so you may need to work on your defence. If he can't hit winners any time you lift, work out what is different between him replying to a clear and to a serve.

Is your ready position good enough?
    Are you on the balls of your feet?
    Are your knees bent?
    What are you watching? The shuttle, his racquet, his body, his eyes?

10. Neil Nicholls

One of the advantages of the round-the-head shot is that you can see the court and the opponent.

If you can't clear to the far corner, you have 3 corners left to choose between.
    Shots available include:
    straight drop
    straight smash
    straight clear (attacking)
    clear to centre (defensive)
    cross-court drop
    cross-court smash

Play a mixture of shots so that you opponent can't guess what is coming.

11. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Thnx guys, I think I am usually just caught a bit flat footed when I serve short.
    I will try to develop better footwork and crouch a bit more. I also agree that I do sometimes anticipate the shot far to much. Thnx 4 the help.

12. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Seems to me like this is your answer for the meantime. Try to lengthen the rallies with more safe defensive shots and less risky attacking shots.

13. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i'd just suggest lots of footwork to increase speed and reaction time. hopefully it means you are more in position to play your shots, and you'll have more options as well when you are in the proper prepared position, instead of being too rushed...like i am when i move too slow :rolleyes: