does Yonex coolfit really work?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by ironchef, Oct 30, 2004.

1. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

Does yonex's Coolfit stuff really work? What about Adidas' and Nike's Climalite and Dri-fit...it seems like they've just repackaged polyester, made it thinner, and called it sweat absorbent. I know that Yonex's coolfit stuff is supposed to be polyester on the side touchign the skin, and cotton on the outside for faster evaporation...but are they comfortable to wear?

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I don't know how well the coolfit evaporates sweat. But I do know it's faster than normal cotton shirts, IMHO. Since I'm living in a humid climate I find it useful. Doesn't leave the shirt as heavy as cotton shirts. But it's comfortable.

My 2 cents.

3. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

I give u guys a review when i got mine in next few weeks

4. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    I wear Nike dri-fit shirts now. I used to wear cotton shirts, and the major difference for me is that the discomfort of having your clothes stick to your sweaty body is gone when I switched to dri-fit shirts.

Additionally, the shirt feels lighter.

Anna

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Yes, the very cool does work but the thing I have noticed is that last years bog standard shirt was made of 100% Polyester and the very cool range from Yonex is also 100% Polyester, so why are they double the price (in the UK anyway, normal Yonex shirt => £25-30, very cool => £55-60) ???

The heat capsule works very well also!

6. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

ahahahah it's a marketing GIMMICK! maybe it's a bit thinner than their normal polyester shirts...but i doubt it. Also, hong kong sells a lot of "very cool" yonex shirts, but their composition is part polyester, part cotton...and I remember reading that very cool has a polyester layer next to the skin so the sweat is wicked away, and a cotton upper layer, so the sweat evaporates faster...

7. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

this is very fishy...

http://www.yonex.co.jp/intl/tennis/products/clothing.html

if you read the description of very cool...it says they use "xylitol impregnated very cool polo shirts".

from xylitol.org

"Pure xylitol is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar. On food labels, xylitol is classified broadly as a carbohydrate and more narrowly as a polyol. Because xylitol is only slowly absorbed and partially utilized, a reduced calorie claim is allowed: 2.4 calories per gram or 40% less than other carbohydrates.

Xylitol has been used in foods since the 1960’s. It is a popular sweetener for the diabetic diet in some countries. In the U.S., xylitol is approved as a food additive in unlimited quantity for foods with special dietary purposes.

Over 25 years of testing in widely different conditions confirm that xylitol is the best sweetener for teeth. Xylitol use reduces tooth decay rates both in high-risk groups (high caries prevalence, poor nutrition, and poor oral hygiene) and in low risk groups (low caries incidence using all current prevention recommendations). Sugarfree chewing gums and candies made with xylitol as the principal sweetener have already received official endorsements from six national dental associations."

So yonex has figured out a way to turn a food sweetener/sugar substitute into a material that can keep us cool. absolutely GENIUS! their shirts do look nice though...

8. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

Used to wear cotton T-shirt, it stick to your body and the shirt will still be wet when i reach home after a game.

Wearing Nike Dri-fit shirt now, its lighter and dry much much faster.
    IMO Its more comfortable than a cotton T-shirt.
    1 bad thing about the Dri fit is my Dri fit shirt still stink no matter how i wash it...

Anyone tried the adidas climalite?

Its much cheaper than the Dri fit in my nearby mall, may buy 1 to test.

9. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

i find adidas climalite pretty thick and heavy...sort of how yonex polyester is to MMOA polyester shirts...the MMOA shirts are much lighter to wear.

10. liajy

liajy Regular Member

2 cents worth

i bought 2 round neck "very cool" shirts in japan, and they cost about £14 each (though proper match shirts did feel much higher quality and work out around £35), and think they definately work; since wearing them, instead of cotton shirts, they don't stick so much and they feel much drier after a long session

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am also wearing the Nike Dri-Fit T-Shirts and Nike Sphere Dry now. They are both indeed very nice and smooth. :) Personally, I like the Sphere a lot....it's very cool-looking!!

Especially they are on sale at the Nike outlet in Ohio.... only $35 USD for both :)

12. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

I wear a shirt that uses Nike Dri-Fit technology and it's pretty cool, literally. If it's cold enough, I can actually feel the air rush through the shirt, can feel it when I'm playing sometimes, too.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes, they do work.

13. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Cool fit shirts?

Ok, I am a person who sweats like a pig. Literally, every time i play, I look like I just jumped into a pool with my shirt on.

Do cool fit shirts really work? Any other technological shirts that would help me keep cool and not sweat as much. Thanks.

14. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

ya most of these cool fit shirts that are made of that kind of material work very well. the sweat never really soaks into the material, but kind of picks it off your skin almost, plus they are usually very breathable and i love them. i wear the nike dri-fit, and an underarmour loose shirt too

15. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    The dry-fit shirts make me sweat more though. But they're "absorption" feels better.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I use Adidas Climalite for both badminton and soccer during the summer. Because I don't sweat much, I find it necessary only during the hotter months. I have no complaints - it's cool and comfortable. Also use other less expensive polyester/cotton blends with similar satisfaction.

17. krantikt

krantikt Regular Member

Agree with others

The dri fit technology does help.

I use the fila aero fit by Fila, basically the same technology as the dri fit.
    Feels much lighter, especially when taking a breather in between the long singles rallies, it does not stick to your body as much. I only have to change one of these where I earlier used to change 2 to 3 cotton t-shirts. I sweat a lot.

18. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Is yonex 100% polyester shirts work the same as very cool technology?

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yonex's shirts have 2 version "Cool Fit" and "Very Cool"
    Both are different. Coot Fit have a higher percentage of cotton and some of them are 100% cotton however "VeryCool" are mostly made of Polyester and Very Cool "mesh".

I have both version , but personally i prefer VERYCOOL since i can feel that my sweat evaporate faster and i don't feel hot that much compare to wearing a CoolFit Shirt.
    I do also wear DriFit , the performance in terms of Sweat Evaporation is equally good. But VeryCool is more comfortable than DriFit.

Something about VeryCool Shirts

VERY COOL
    Discover the comfort of cool, soothing Very Cool.
    Thanks to the cooling effect of Xylitol - a natural material that absorbs the heat of perspiration - Yonex Xylitol-impregnated Very Cool Polo Shirts lower body heat by 3 degrees for more comfort during the heat of play. In addition to the inherent cooling and soothing effect of Xylitol, Very Cool Polo Shirts have ultraviolet and infrared filtering functions which intercept 96% of UV radiation and 81% of IR radiation to suppress heat build-up in clothing during sports activity. Very Cool 's mesh material further provides effective ventilation performance.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Some data Research on Very Cool Shirts

First 2 body pictures is a scanned body temperature of a person in "Very Cool" mesh and after 15mins exercise compare to the 3rd and 4th picture of a scanned body temperature in 100% Polyester shirt and after 15mins of working out.

Attached Files: