places in edmonton alberta canada where i can buy top end racquets?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by trunks512, Oct 31, 2004.

1. trunks512

trunks512 Regular Member

all i know is to go to sportchek for racquets (best they have is mp 24)
    there are no yonex dealers here i think
    i heard there is a place called Lee's? is this in edmonton?
    i prefer not to buy off ebay tho

any info would help alot

thanks

2. trunks512

trunks512 Regular Member

well also anywhere in calgary would be good too
    since i could probably just go there pick one up and it wouldnt cost too hefty

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in calgary, go to

'what's your racket'

'glencoe club' pro shop

'calgary winter club' pro shop

i think you can bargain hard with them as they more flexible these days

4. NoIso4Me

NoIso4Me Regular Member

you may also try buying off of the forums

many people here are looking to sell and trade rackets all the time.
    I just bought 2 x Carlton Rasmussen Tour (2004 model) from singapore, lightly used. These rackets aren't even available in North America and after conversion it was a great price. I'm expecting them to arrive any day now and can't wait. One of the only people using these rackets in the Western Hemisphere. How cool is that?

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

you can check out:

Sweet Spot - http://www.sweetspotcanada.com

or the Royal Glenora Pro shop.

both places are pretty hefty..but you might be able to bargain with them. Royal Glenora pro shop prices will most likely stay the same but the guy working sweet spot might bend the price a lil.

6. trunks512

trunks512 Regular Member

wow thanks, you guys helpful

the at800 too hefty for me :crying:

but the armortec 700 doesnt look to bad if i can bargain them down to 270 with stringing

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! That's cuz he owned the store:D! Rob from SweetSpot is a nice guy but I think your better bet is to buy from oversea. Know anybody going back to HK or China? Just ask them to bring one or two racquets back.

8. trunks512

trunks512 Regular Member

yah my mom bought two from malaysia
    one was fake mp 88
    other was real but broke in a huge clash :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ugh! Sorry to hear that, trunks512:(. MP88s are really fragile, that's the first Yonex racquet I broke with my own racquet in a clash... and it's my friend's:eek:.

Might I suggest that you try United Cycle along Whyte Ave. They have a few choice selections of Victor and Black Knight racquets that are really decent and not too much of a hit on your pocketbook. Nothing too fancy, but they could order in a specific model out of the Victor catalogue if you know what you like in a racquet.

10. trunks512

trunks512 Regular Member

im a yonex sucker :eek:

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! To the detriment of mom dearest's pocketbook:D. Seriously though, you pay premium for the brand in Alberta. Unless you can score a good deal online or oversea, there's not many places that'll give you a good price for Yonex racquets. For badminton racquets, durability is definitely not a performance trait... at least not in the current Yonex lines:(. If you get your racquets strung by Rob at Sweet Spot, maybe you can get him to give you some discount on a purchase.

PS: Lee's in Toronto:p.

12. mishiranu

mishiranu Regular Member

Student
    I was also looking for shops in Edmonton to buy badminton equipment (grips, strings, shirts etc) from but i live in Grande Prairie. All I know is The Sweet Spot and heard they were expensive. I'm going to Edmonton in a few days and was going to get a new racket, if anyone knows where there are other places that sell yonex rackets in Edmonton could you kindly post it for me? Thanks

13. pho73

pho73 New Member

I'm from Edmonton, AB. You can try Sportchek, Sportmart, Canadian Tire (Mostly Carlton).

pho

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You could use Badminton Direct, however keep in mind they are not a Yonex authorized dealer. When it come to warrenty claims if something happend to the racket, Yonex will not honor the warrenty because it was not purchased from an authorized dealer.

Therefore to be on the safe side, if you want to save money, it would be better obtain the racket from Yonex authorized dealer overseas by shopping online. Keep in mind, if you need to do a warrenty claim, the racket will need to be sent back to where it came from.

#14 Matt, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Add on to the last part.

or to the appropriate Yonex subsidary/distributor.

16. RSX

RSX Regular Member

I do not know much about their operation, but IF Badminton Direct sources from an Authorized Yonex Dealer, they would be able to make the claim on your behalf.

Either way, whether you buy from Badminton Direct or an overseas authorized Yonex dealer, for any warranty claim you need to pay for return shipping (which is not cheap for 1 racquet).

So it's not true you would be "saving money" by buying from an overseas dealer. Just wanted to clarify that misleading info.

Regards.

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    With unauthorized dealers they are not obligated to perform the warrenty claim back to the authorized dealer - there shops that exactly do just that, some of them even act if they do not know you once you walk out the door after they get the customer's money.

"Saving money" is not leading because since if the shop is not going to assist you - you will have to purchase a brand new racket. Now, compare that to assuming if you have to pay for return shipping, the price will not be anywhere close to the cost of purchasing a new racket.

#17 Matt, May 30, 2007
  18. RSX

RSX Regular Member

The point is you don't know (as I don't) what the policy is for Badminton Direct. The customer would need to confirm the policy before purchase if warranty is a concern.

But you stated you would "save money" by purchasing from overseas, which is inaccurate since you are making assumptions about the operations policy, and assuming that the purchase will involve a warranty claim. What percentage of Yonex racquetsare broken due to a manufacturer's defect ?
    Not many.

#18 RSX, May 30, 2007
  19. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I strongly do not believe it is inaccurate at all.

I have already read the policy on their website, 7 day warrenty? Impact damage, well it sounds like it is up to the store's discretion for that.

In terms of the racket percentage broken by defects, it would be small; however that Yonex has replaced rackets other than manufacturing defects which is helpful to the customer. The authorized shops from time to time have done warranty claims other than manufacturing defects and Yonex just replaces them per case basis.

20. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Matt, let me re-phrase what RSX is asking you as I don't think you are getting his point:

Your claim that you will save money by purchasing from overseas hinges on the assumption that the purchase will involve a warranty claim, . To support your claim, you will have to show how likely would a warranty claim be needed. You said the likelyhood is small, how small? 1%, 2%, 10%? Do you even know? If you cannot answer this then it is clear you are making a claim that you cannot support.

#20 pedro22, May 30, 2007