most badminton players are sucko !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wins, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    sorri for this. but i find sch players and most badminton players very very or extreme proud.all the ppl i play with now, most don't play with ppl who is weaker than them. but i do play with ppl who are weaker and most of the time cos i treat them as friends. defend urself if u think i am not right in saying this. i only mean some players not all. i don't find soccer player proud but friendly.

2. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    I dun, but I hate to play with weaker ppl and think they are great, behaving like really pro ex.buying the stuff that the pro use etc.

3. dude

dude Guest

Maybe because you can't afford to buy an expensive racquet.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Playing against weaker players

Provided that they have SOME basic stroke-making skills, I never turn anyone down just because of lack of skills. There are lots of ways to make such uneven games enjoyable. Usually I (silently) impose restrictions on myself. Try playing a game without smashing against a weaker player, for instance! It will really hone your drops and clears...

So, in other words, I don't feel I fit your description, Wins!

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Huh,

That happens to me as well. But now I don't embarass myself by trying to play people way above my level. What do I gain by running around the court like a steam train but only getting a couple of points? A big loss!

It happens all the time and only fuels my determination to improve and match those better people.

6. dude

dude Guest

if they want to buy pro stuff and able to afford it, then what is your problem?
    don't envy people because they have all the nice racquets.
    why don't you get your own expensive racquet.

Actually it's good for beginner to purchase a pro racquet so that it can be an incentive for them to improve their skills.

what makes me sick is people who think that they are so good that they hate not so skilled player to purchase pro racquets.

7. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Re: Playing against weaker players

It is not that I can't afford expensive racket, I just feel that the person over-estimate him/herself as a player.
    If I were that person, I would feel very very ashamed of myself.
    This is how I feel, I am not insulting!

8. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student

that's a wrong way of thinking. those money are theirs not urs. why bother?? why care what they play. i do know ppl who collect racquets but not play. it is ppl businness why be a nosy parker ? just enjoy ur game and racquet is not the winning factor. better racquet boast confidence !

9. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Cheung, in this way. u r supporting my idea too. i prefer playing with better player to improve but some r too prud like they give unfriendly remarks and try to made u seem like a fool. who want to be a fool in their favourite sport ?? i prefer players who play with a smile and teach u but not insult u all along or made u run like a fool. show some sportsmanship pls.

10. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Honestly, I do always play with weaker player and I never made them like a fool, because all of them are my friends and I do not want them to hate me by saying showing off skill or made a fool of weaker opponent.

11. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Heh dude ... please be a 'dud ok', not that Yudhi cannot afford it, he probably finds no need for it. He plays fine with whatever he has now for that matter.

See .....the typical 'sucko' attitude kicking in again...

Yes, I agree with Yudhi that it gets a little annoying at best and outright agitation at times !

When people think they are great just because they've got the coolest rackets around.

But for most part, Wins and Yudhi have both played with my regular group of people. And I would believe they agree if I say that most of us bear to spend the money not to be 'showey' but rather in the hope of finding something that will help in their game or improve their game.( How to be showey if we are always playing together and hardly take our rackets out of the bags unless playing ? ) We all understand that better(more expensive) equipment does not automatically make us better players. But there's reason to hope that it will be a catalyst for better things to come in our quest to constantly improve.

For me, I buy a few rackets here and there every few years or so, not because its flashy or anything or the sort, but its my way of exploring my game. Everytime I buy a racket in say about 2~3 years, it helps me discover a different aspect of my game, be it a strength or a flaw, either way, helps me.

I have quite a few rackets myself, some pretty expensive stuff, some not, guess I've to admit I do fall prey to marketing hype. But fact is, each of these rackets have thier own imbued characteristics which I like as well as dislike. And they in one way or another helps me understand my game/ preferences better.

But to be frank, not all expensive rackets have done me good anyway. A lot of people here simply adore the Ti-10. But I have one too and it really makes me wonder the level of credibility in some of their statements. Its a fine racket no doubt, but its not the all 'wonder' stuff that many here make it out to be! I like my 10-year old Yamaha EOS-90 better actually. And I love my MP-100 and my Carbonex 25 over it as well. Or it just does not suit my style/preference of play ? .. !!

I can understand Wins' impression. Its actually not so bad with schoolboys / girls. Wait till you go play at the public courts and meet with some old men who have been playing longer than you've breathed air ... they cannot even be bothered to talk to you !!! ( Ok, now, thats the really extreme case, not everyone !! )

In any case Wins, drop by our weekend sessions again, you're always welcome to join us. We aren't that great ourselves though I dare say some of us are good enough to put up a fair challenge to most of the people we get to see at public courts. !! We have a very wide mix and range of abilities in our group as you know and have seen, you you defintely won't feel left out!

And Yudhi, this is the exact scenario which I e-mailed you about. I'm really at my wits end as to how to deal with it. Do you think you want to drop by this coming week to see for yourself ??

12. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    I will surely come if it is Saturday but I have to see first if it is on Sunday

13. dude

dude Guest

On the contrary, if i were that person I would be very proud.
    "Even though I am a beginner I have the vision to become a better player !!!"

You have a very pesimistic outlook, 'gee since i'm a bad player i shouldn't buy pro stuff, since i'm not so good looking i shouldn't approach that pretty girl, since i'm not so tall i shouldn't play basketball, since i'm not .....

Be positive dude.

14. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Its on saturday Yudhi...... i'll be there too. i'll seeya there..... yo Yudhi, i didn't really see what racket you were using last weekend..... what was it again?

15. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Dude, maybe you don't need to buy such expensive rackets to play equally as well as players who do buy expensive rackets. I have 4 rackets in my bag whenever i go and play. I normally use my Slim-10 but occasionally switch between my Ti-10 and Cab 21 Special. I play equally as well with each of the rackets.

I don't see the need to buy such expensive rackets when the less expensive ones that suit your style can play just as well.

16. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Actually, theres really no reason to refuse a weaker player or a stronger player in a game.

By playing against better players, you come to realise your shortcomings in the game. And identify them, so that you can work and improve upon them.

By playing against weaker players, you get the chance to experiment and try different strokes which you never ever get to try and hone. It allows one to add repertoire to their game. Isn't that a really good thing ?

Either way it does you good.

For me, thats the bottom line. I improve.

17. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    I am using one of the cheapest racket in the market, ISO-85 VF long

18. i have no problem playing with weaker player, it the player who are unconsistent i try to avoid. you know those player that serve into the net, who smash into the net, who hit it out sideway, who hit it out the backway. you don't really get to hit the shuttle and you win the rally automatically, it ridiculous. i play with this guy in single who have been playing twice as long as i have, in less than ten minutes, we play 2 1/2 games. i serve, he hit it out, i serve again and he smash into the net, etc. those player is unbearable. weaker player is ok, at least you can control how long the rally goes and you get to pratice different strokes but players who doesn't give you any rally are loser.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Digression

Not quite what Wins was on about..

20. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Re: Digression

I was talking to "dude" the person "dude" i wasnt referring to Wins as "dude". Sorry for the confusion, read dude's post, the one i responded to and you'll understand better..... sorry for the confusion