OMG I'm Such a N00b again :0 (holding the raquet)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wedgewenis, Nov 1, 2004.

1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

in an effort to get more control in my clears over the last year i guess

i have held a higher grip on the raquet.. so its somewhere in the middle

but then i was hitting with a friend of mine and he told me i was losing power in both my smashes and clears because i was holding it too high up

then he told me that the base of my palm has to be at the bottom of the raquet cuz it gives you more radius and the swing becomes looser and more whip-like

after trying it i noticed so much more power with even the first few hits... especially on the smash which was way harder

i have been very frustrated with my clears for along time because they were not into the corners ..so i started using a more controlled grip.. i didn't lose power so much as learn to muscle the shot more..its the only way i have done it so i learned to play that way ..but now i gotta start all over

holding it lower feels so awkward now and its very difficult to hit back court drops .. i'd have to switch to my old grip for those in the middle of the rally :0

2. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Well from my knowledge, there are players that will switch grips in the middle of the rally. Although holding the grip closer to the base may produce more powerful, it is alot slower to react. So often, if your doing a drive, or playing in front in doubles, it is advantageous to grip the raquet higher up.. Also, it is alot easier to block smashes if your holding the grip higher up also.

3. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

thats exactly what i was saying

i can do the new grip for smash and clear.. with more power but feels very different and awkward..

but i have to switch to my old grip for any other shot

4. milkteddy

milkteddy Regular Member

student
    well during a rally.. it is better to have a flexible grip ~ when ur doing net shots and drives etc.. it is better to hold it higher up so u can use better finger work and get really tight net shots ... but for smashes and clears you should hold it at the base to get the extra momentum to hit the ball harder.. if u do this often enough .. . it will just come naturally to you :)