Halim to Follow Tony to the US?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by tama-aki, Nov 2, 2004.

1. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    From badminton-indonesia.com
    ------------------
    http://badminton-indonesia.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=149&mode=&order=0&thold=0

The mixed doubles player--who is normally partnered with Anggun Nugroho--is given the nod to pursue her career in United States. Rumours are also strongly indicated Halim is following his former pair Tony Gunawan to play for Uncle Sam.

Enny's achievement with Anggun has never been sophisticated. Years after years they still could not keep themselves up with other world's player. If their teammates Nova Widiyanto/Vita Marissa's performance is improving and manage to compete with world's players, Anggun/Enny are more often losing in the first rounds.

Head of Performance Development Icuk Sugiarto gave the green light to Enny when she asked for permission to leave the national training camp. Her partner Anggun will now have a new partner Tetty Yunita and will start their first grand prix at China Open.

It is not the same case with Halim Haryanto. The rumour about his intention to play for United States sparked when he went to the low-ranked US Open this year. Tony Gunawan--once his partner and both had amazing career--is said to have invited him to play there. Halim has always tried to avoid the rumour saying that he has no intention yet.

Halim apparently has cleared out his things from his room at the national training camp although he had received an invitation letter to stay in there. He is also unreachable when some reporters tried to contact his number.

If Halim were to move to the states, then PBSI will have to work hard to find a partner for Trikus Harjanto since Sigit is now paired with Chandra again.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If Halim really goes over, then where would it leave Howard Bach? Howard was really happy winning the Dutch Open.

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Halim wouldn't be elligible to represent USA at the world championships anyway, so I should think Tony would keep playing with Howard Bach until the world champs at least...

4. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

i hear he's coming not really to play, but to be more of a sparring partner and go to school here...but you might see him partnering with bob maybe if he does decide to come.

5. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    It's Official!!!!

So he's actually submitted his letter in October.....

news.badminton-indonesia.com

Finally the All-England champion withdrew from the national training camp of Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI). Halim says he wants to help his parents with their business and also a possibility to further his studies.

Rumours have been going around about the state of Halim's in the Indonesian squad. After failing to qualify for the Olympics with partner Chandra Wijaya, Halim has never been in a tournament. Chandra/Halim was paired after Chandra was upset with Sigit's "lack of discipline".

Now Chandra and Sigit are together again and are prepared for the China Open next week, Halim is no where to be found. His belongings in the room of the camp were already cleared out and attempts to contact him did not succeed. His partner Trikus is waiting for him desperately more than anyone else.

The 28-year-old, as reported by local newspaper Kompas, said he had intended to submit his resignation in May but he postponed it until the new administration came in. PBSI approved his resignation in an official letter dated back on 22 October 2004.

"I just knew it today that the letter was out since then," says Halim after picking up the letter at the camp today. Asked about his plan in the future, he said he was still deciding his next step but currently busy with his parents business that make him travel Bandung-Jakarta frequently. Continuing his education is also in his mind, he added.

Halim is world champion with Tony Gunawan. With the same partner, he took an All-England title. His participation in the US Open recently is seen as a start of his moving to the country, following his former partner. Halim and Trikus Haryanto saved Indonesia from lost at Thomas Cup final in Guangzhou when Indonesia was lagging behind Malaysia 1-2. Indonesia then took the cup.

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Was Halim at US Open this year ? I did not see him, can someone please confirm ?

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Confirmed! :D
    He lost in the semi in MD.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. that's what they all say. Tony was there for the same reason originally.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, badminton players sure know about deception, especially the pros ;) :D

10. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Yeah, although I think it'll be good to see Tony-Halim together again and rule the world he he he....under Uncle Sam's flag... :crying:

11. shasa03

shasa03 Regular Member

10% stuDent,30%dReaMeR,60% sHoPPeR =))
    i watched "lensa olahraga" they said he officially steps out from PBSI. his wife(i think)will study there..but theyre not sure whether he's going 2 play fot he US or not

12. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I guess the only way to find out is wait till Halim actually gets to the US and settle down for few months. Otherwise, he might not be able to get a visa or leave the country, one way or another ..:p

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

I think for the long run, it's better to seperate Halim and Tony. US already dominates the American continents. But still a long way to catch up with the badminton powerhouses. If Tony and Halim team up with some younger players, they should help them to develop.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i agree.
    maybe kevin han should delay his retirement.
    no need for tony and halim to play together to prove a point again, we know what they can destroy together :)

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Make that, *teams up with some promising youngsters* :p

Seriously though. I don't Tony and Halim can team up for the Worlds becuase Halim has to undergo a two year period from last representing his own country (which is the Olympics). The world champs are usually held in May so that would exclude Halim for the coming two consecutive WC.

16. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Honestly even if Tony/Halim can start playing together right now, I doubt if they can reach quarterfinal of any major tournments. At least 9 teams are better than them.

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    That period has been changed to three years now + the necessity of having an american passport ...
    But Halim didn't represent Indonesia in the Olympics, in the Thomas Cup neither... and not even in the 2003 world champs!
    When is last time Halim represented Indonesia in an IBF event? :confused: (Grand Prix events don't count)

18. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Considering how well Tony is performing with Howard Bach, I think he would still be a big threat to all the other top pairs if he was partnering Halim! :cool:

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You're right! He didn't even get to the Olympics. I was wrong. He definately represented Indonesia in 2002 TC though....

That would mean being to represent another country in May 2005.... :)

20. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Provided he gets his passport in time, I suppose yes!! (unless he played in 2003 Sudirman Cup? I can't remember him playing...)