overgrip + towel

Discussion in 'Grip' started by mjwhitfield, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    I'm planning on trying toweling grip again, however this time I'm planning to apply the towel to some overgrip first. Last time i used towel removing it was a real issue and it destroyed the synthetic grip under it. This time I plan to just remove the overgrip and the towel together which should leave the grip under it untouched.

Is this a good idea or is there an issue i'm not thinking of?

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I use electrical tape under any grips so they do not damage the grip.

I tape the handle then put on a Karakal Kushy, tape over it and then apply a towel grip. When I go to take off the towel and the tape underneath is too takcky or peels I just unwrap and it comes away very easily leaving the kushy underneath unscathed because it is a lot less tacky than the tape on the towel grip which rips the grips underneath apart if they are not covered by something!

Hope this helps

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If yo uuse a towel grip anyway, then what is the point of putting a (expensive) karakal kushy grip underneath, only to tape over it??!!! :confused: :( :confused:

When I have used towel grip, they have been too hard for me, so I need some cushioning underneath. I used to apply them over the standard grip (instead of removing the standard grip, then towelling over)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. kinda a waste of a good grip. there was a recent thread started by Wukong when one of the members says that the non-adhesive hockey tapes works well as an undertape for towel grips. that should provide good insulation and padding.

an alternative would be to use some cheapo grip tape, the downside being some of them do leave horrible residue on the original grip, which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place!

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I put a kushy underneath the towel so the grip is the ideal size, it also gives a bit of cusioning, don't tell me you never thought of that one?

You need the electrical tape because I took off the original grip and I found the grips if applied directly would take of some wood shards from the handle it was that sticky.

#5 Dill, Nov 2, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  6. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

A cheap way of doing it is to put a layer of bandage gauze first on top of the original grip, then a layer of scotch tape, then you can put whatever type of grip you want, towel, etc.... the gauze babndage layer will protect the original grip that came with your racket... :)

7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I recently took the old towelling grip off a racket I was given in 1987. The player had put the towelling over the original grip with the plastic wrapping still on it, so when I took the plastic off, the original factory grip was in perfect pristine condition. The racket hadn't been used so it looked brand new, the gold thread and Yonex logos on the handle are still sparkling :D

8. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

mind showing us some pic...tell us the model...thx

9. marvs

marvs New Member

A much cheaper way is to use Cling wraps :) wrap the orignal grip with Cling wraps or Saran wraps (plastic wraps that are used for food leftovers) then wrap it finally with the grip you want to use.