Badminton Physics

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by flymordecai, Nov 4, 2004.

1. flymordecai

flymordecai Regular Member

I have a research project for my Physics class and I was thinking of doing it on badminton. I was wondering if people have any ideas what I could do? I was thinking maybe find out who has the fastest smash among my friends or whatever. Or perhaps find the velocity of the bird when it's smashed. Also, any books/websites and places where I could maybe find material on badminton as it relates to Physics?

2. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    I think you should get your materials from academic papers (reputable). Go to the university/college and ask for access to their computers. Also, the librarian can assist you in the matter of searching for your materials. So, go to the university library and ask for assistance. Is this an experiment? You may want to do statistics too. This is interesting. What do you have to do in your physics project?

3. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I'd be interested in the formula for the rate of decelaration of the shuttle.

4. AlmostRandom

AlmostRandom Regular Member

A compison of the flight paths of plastic and feather shuttles maybe? Hypothese on trajectories and prove something realated to the differences between them.

What level is the project at high school/a-level/uni? -- what are you studying for?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem is, you can hardly find any devices to be accurate enough to take such measurements. :rolleyes:

6. Pball

Pball Regular Member

I wonder if the measuring device used for bullet velocity could be modified..

Flymordecai - you could also do some research on the relation of high and low tension stringing with the acceleration of the bird.. and help us settle some long winded discussions...

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. A student is hard to get access to such devices.

2. Shuttle is light and decrease in speed significantly in a fraction of a sec. Not sure if the radar guns can work effectively or not.

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

We should know (or be able to calculate) that already.
    There was a thread a while back with a link to some research that found the terminal velocity of a shuttle.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that was different Neil. Terminal V is a more or less fixed number dependent on shuttle shape factor and surrounding fluid medium. Slanter is looking for jerks :p :D

10. Neil Nicholls

at terminal velocity though, deceleration is 0. You know the mass of the shuttle, and the forces acting on it balance out. ie gravity trying to accelerate it and air resistance trying to decelerate it. Given the terminal velocity, and that the research stated that the air resistance force was proportional to the square of the velocity (I think), surely all the information you need is available there somewhere.

11. Neil Nicholls