BF bit torrent tracker

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by bigredlemon, Nov 4, 2004.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

This is the official request for Badminton central to have its own badminton tracker. The advantage is obvious:

1. people can quickly and easily share badminton files.
    BT is superios to eMule in that it uses less resources, and is more efficient at the initial distribution phase. BT is a lot faster once a download starts because it maximizes available resources. BT is also alot more popular.

2. leechers are kept to a minimum as a memeber's share ratio is visble to all. (people are shamed into sharing more, and perpetual leechers can be banned.)

3. we will be able to see a list of all badminton videos. people will no longer need to search. duplicates are easily spotted. A dead file can be more easily brought to life through a seeding request from the forum.

4. trackers use minimum bandwidth and cpu

BT is open source; most other P2P are not. Also, there is existing open software available for BC/BF to use with minimal configuration.

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Hi BRL, i've been reading about this since i have a fair few baddy vids shared thru emule - which seems to have gone down the pan of late. if i set up the tracker on my host, is it just the torrent files that need to be hosted there? or do the baddy files need to be on there as well?

thanks

coops

3. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hi - i'm replying to myself, has anybody looked at supernova.org - it appears to offer a tracker for torrent files - does anbody think we can use this?

4. Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir Regular Member

From my own experience, it seems you have not posted in the best places as a "request". It seems that the most effective way is to send a PM to Kwun. Kwun is the ultimate guy here.

5. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Copyright is an issue.

In Japan, they were recently successful in penalizing a guy uploading the vedio in internet. AT same time, the Japanese was also successful in charging the one who assisted(this guy did not know about the exchange, I believe) in providing the "access" for the "exchange".

I don't how this file sharing thing will run on this forum. Will TV have the copy right of some vedio(we are talking may be a lot of files)and eventually come to sue somebody in sharing the vedios pubicly, say ten years later?:confused:

#5 redkingjoe, Dec 5, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  6. bigredlemon

The video files will be stored on your own computer. A torrent file (basically hashes of segements of the actual file and a reference to the tracker) will be stored on a web site. A tracker (a program that we'll need Kwun to run) will keep tracker of the uploaders and downloaders and direct them to each other. The advantage of this is that the server will know how much each person uploads and downloads, and can thus penalize perpetual leechers by barring access. This threat ensures fast speeds for everyone.

This has been used to huge success. I can download most torrent files at very high speeds (some files easily reach 300KB/s) Here's a little andectote: I tried looking for a rare file and found it on eMule. After 7 hours, I had only gotten 150k. Frsutrated, I eventually found a torrent site that had this type of file, and PMed a member to seed it for me. He did so, and within minutes, I was downloading at over 150K/s!!

There is really no reason to use eMule when torrents can do a much better job.

7. bigredlemon

Suprnova is site that hosts a collection of torrent files. They do not run a tracker however... you supply your own when you're uploading new files to that site.

8. bigredlemon

It depends... I doubt people would go after us because we're not costing anyone money. If a person downloads a movie, the production company might loose a sale. This doesn't happen with badminton matches because 99.9% of us can't even watch it if we wanted to.

9. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    as an accountant, i have been used to caring about the potential legal liabilities. you know, no one wants to stay in the prison for even just a while.

10. bigredlemon

sharing videos is at worest a tort. Nothing you'd go to jail over...

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    at this point, there is no plans for BC to start a bittorrent tracker. there are public ones and they are managed by ppl who knows what they are doing (there are, right?) and we can use those. if you find one and want to use it, feel free to use that as the standard one and post it in the video sharing forum.

emule users are already making use of the video sharing forum quite effectively.