Buying racquets questions.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by lightsmash, Nov 6, 2004.

1. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum...have some doubts and queries...hope someone can help.
    I seen some apacs racquets, and i understand that their armor power are actually clones of yonex armor tec(after doing some search on the forum). My question is that, for these clones is it true that the racquet cannot be strung too tightly...like 24lb? and does the racquet just break if there are accidental clashes. i have other choices as well...like fleet, proace and bedini brands.

i hope someone can advise which type of racquet is more suitable for me. i smash alot...and i'm afraid these 4u racquet breaks easily. sorry if i didnt phrase them correctly.

2. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Actually,some clone are kinda good(maybe even better :p)
    so there should not be any problem strunging at 24lb(already considered low to me)
    Some clone that are lousy will not be able to handle the tension.But i dun think apac break that easily

3. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

i'm currently using apac's clone of at700
    i strung it up till 26lbs before, no problem, except that the string broke after a month :rolleyes:

4. lightsmash

Target board
    i see...thanks for the advice. the apacs i've seen got a few models i like...which is

ArmorPower 980 Offensive
    ArmorPower 880 Defensive (not sure correct model ornot)
    ArmorPower 300

do u recommend this series of racquet for ppl like me who like to smash alot?
    my current carbonex 8sp is of u-g5 doesnt smash very powerful.

5. butch

butch Regular Member

Hi. i too have a fake Armortec 500 and i strung it at 24lb and its doing fine. What i just experience frequently with it is that the strings dont last long. I dunno what causes it. Is it because am using the wrong string at that tension? Or maybe the grommets are not good. Nevertheless, with regards to your querry regarding durability, i have smashed it with my partner's racquet but somehow his breaks while mine got only a paint chip-off. I sometimes rub it on the floor when picking up ground balls and its still in one piece.

6. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

I had never tried those before,but if you are able to handle a Carbonex 8sp ,which is a all rounded racket,well,there you should be able to use other racket without too much problem

7. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    where can u buy armorpower ?? is it any good ??

8. butch

butch Regular Member

What brand is ArmorPower?

9. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

ArmorPower is a series by Apac(brand)
    It is a clone to Yonex Armourtec Series

10. lightsmash

Target board
    i've gotten myself an APACS armor power 300(4UG2), feeling pretty good, and i strung it with bg-68 ti

11. neo_Rabbit

neo_Rabbit Regular Member

does anyone know where to get yonex clones in hk?

thanks in advance:D :D

12. pelican

pelican Regular Member

Confuse over what racket to buy

hi all,
    i am currently using a Cab 20 special. i want to get a new racket because i felt that this racket is a bit heavy and i have difficulty doing overhead clear and smashes when i am tired, also because my wrist is not strong enough. I look through the site and sports shops and is even more confuse.
    i will give yonex a miss because it is more expensive compared to similar range of rackets from other brands.

i am considering
    1. victor challenger ti-77, S$100 with strings and new hand grip
    2. ashaway MP 99 (clone of yonex MP99)
    3. pro ace 868 (i think), a friend's recommendation and its going for S$65 with strings.

anybody has any advise or is there any other models i should use. preferably with a budget of S$100.

i played doubles, recreationally. i like to defend and counter attack by pushing the shuttle to empty space or the back corner when the opponents miscommunicte or when they hit a poor return. i tend to smash only when there is a 80% of winning a point because my smash is not very powerful and smashing takes up a lot of my strength. At the same time i am also working on my drop-shots, especially back hand drop-shot and also trying to improve my back-hand over head returns could only go half or 3/4 of the court.
    My net play also need improvement and i believe that control is very important in any game. So my preference will be a racket that gives better control over powerful but at the same time i also need the racket to help me generate power on my smashes.

And where can i buy rackets at a good or reasonable price?Anywhere i can get good stringing?

Do help.
    thanks

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A little bit out of topic, but please make it clear, that FAKE and CLONE (especially reputable brands) are totally different issues as we discussed many times in other threads.

Also, I think the frequent string breakage might because of the gromments (if near the side), or string pattern (i.e. strings being separated widely). :rolleyes: