Vancouver clubs??

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by bad-min-ton, Nov 7, 2004.

1. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    is there any badminton clubs in Vancouver or Burnaby??
    is there a place to get trainners around here??

2. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Personal trainer is expensive. When I started out, I registered badminton courses from Vancouver community centres (cheaper). At that time, I was lucky to have a chinese instructor. More so, people started to drop out and another lady and I are the only students left. I know we can now register courses online. I forgot which one, Burnaby or Vancouver, that they offer one "advance" class (not necessary a chinese teacher now). Too bad the schedule doesn't fit mine. A person I met at school is from Vancouver Raquet Club (near the QE park, ontario street). Quite a few people on this forum are members of VRC. I would join the club if I am not a student because we have free play at our university during drop-in hours.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You might wanna do a search in the forum, especially in the West Canada subforum. There are many threads about Vancouver baddy scenes.

VRC is definitely a club you should check out. However, despite the friendliness of the members, it's not a "drop-in" place. Once you joined, you're committed to playing a certain amount to get back the return on investment (annual and monthly paid membership). IMO, bare minimum would be three visits a week regularly. Also you have to provide your own feather shuttles when you play. So it's not a decision to be taken lightly.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    you shouldn't think of the vrc membership as a return on investment by playing as often as you can. although that is an initial tendency, the membership and what you get from it (lifestyle, friendships, freedom of playing, etc) often cannot be compared to the cost of membership. of course, this is coming from a director who has been so busy and been to the club a countable number of times since the summer...

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Amen to that:D! Any way you see the club membership, it's a serious decision to join.

6. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    *AHEM* "Now as the social director of Vancouver Racquets Club, I feel it is my duty to say some nice crap to make everyone feel good about themselves..." *COUGH* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA~~ J/K~ :D :D :D

Seriously though, when I first joined VRC I was driven to show up three times a week by ritual as well, just to get my money's worth. But now even if I go just once a week, its worth far more to me than playing many times any where else. In other words, what started out as being about quantity, has now become all about quality. VRC is my 2nd home. ;) :D

#6 timeless, Nov 8, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And VRC is not the place for a guy to meet pretty gals :rolleyes: . ha ha ha

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Heh, I'm sure the girls say the same about the guys :p.

9. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    what the hell are you talking about...you seem to have forgotten about me?

10. RacquetChat

RacquetChat Regular Member

Now, I may be sticking my head out here amongst all you VRC guys, but you may want to check out the Vancouver Lawn and Tennis Club (www.vanlawn.com) as an alternative. It's obviously pricier (initiation fees start @ ~$9000) and monthly dues are around $100-$200, but if you consider the extra facilities (swimming pool, 16 tennis courts, 3 squash, fitness room, 3 dining areas, an awesome pub, etc etc etc) along with the obvious social benefits/friendships then the cost is just a drop in the bucket.

You also get access to the best (badminton) coaching in the province -- There are only 2 level 5 coaches in Canada and both are @ vanlawn. I could go on and on, but I'm scared I'm going to get flamed. :)

I'm obviously a happy customer, but just ask my son, who at the age of 8, is absolutely obsessed with badminton and plays 5 days a week. Maybe we'll see some of you at the Jr Rememberance Day tourney this week?

RacquetChat.com

11. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student

:eek: I am speechless. :eek:

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Dude, Vanlawn is simply too expensive for the normal mortals.
    Most of us would join if we were millionaires. A friend of mine who used to be an investment banker choose VRC over Vanlawn & Hollyburn. He prefers VRC for its friendlier atmosphere. Vanlawn & Hollyburn are too snob snob :D

13. viver

viver Regular Member

The fees are a bit too much for me even though VLTC has really really nice facilities. Been there once for a badminton coaching course years ago. Considering that I used to pay (in my birthplace) about CAD $3/month for club membership which entitled me 2 nights (3 hours)/week access to gym courts.

Coaches are free, usually volunteers from the club - coaches (first level) have to pass a 60 hour theoretical/practical courses conducted by Chinese professional coaches (at least Chinese provincial level coaches) and also first-aid, etc. If you are good enough you could be selected into the select team and will have access to professional Chinese coaches (National level) free of charge.

Both VLTC and VRC have excellent facilities for badminton - if one day I'd be serious enough to consider joining a club I would choose VRC for economical reasons. After all, what I want is play badminton.

No offence intended, if I needed/wanted to improve my badminton skills, Yao XiMing, the badminto coach in VRC is not a bad choice either. He may not have level 5, but he is a former world champion and also part of the Chinese Thomas cup team ;).

14. SmashingBird

Hahaha, I wonder who here can afford to pay $9000 for initiation plus ~$1200-2400/year for badminton, and I doubt anyone would have the time to use up all the facility really.

And do you guys supply your own birds too?..haha..like high quality ones that cost $30/tube

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    some private clubs here cost 10k to 20k initiation fee plus 1.2-2k/year annual due. One has 5-7 years waiting list, and the 20k one say:

We currently have an extensive waiting list and are not accepting new applications at this time.

16. SmashingBird

Yeah, I mean its true there is a lot of people out there that would play..like a lot of people own really expansive cars, but still the percentage of these people relative to the total population is still low.

17. RacquetChat

Yo mates -- thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'm going to take off my flame-retardant-suit now. Phew! :)

I know VanLawn is inaccessible to most people because of its fees. Most of my baddie friends can't even justify VRC fees.

I sit on a number of badminton committees, and the sad thing is there is limited access for kids in the lower mainland. I started a low-key and kid-friendly website for my son and his friends to talk about badminton, and one of our goals at vanlawn is to work with other groups to increase access for kids. In North America, it's an uphill battle. But after seeing my son totally take to badminton, it's worth it.

RacquetChat.com

18. SmashingBird

Thats good you are working to give kids more chance to play, but then how many kids can really afford to play at VLT, many kids can't even play at VRC. But if you can create a facility with low rates offered only to kids, then it would be great! :D

19. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    oh yes, and you can wear any colour outfit on the VLT courts as long as it's white...

as with most private clubs, the VLT, Arbutus Club and Hollyburn offer much more than a specific sport. the facilities have a long standing tradition rich in Vancouver history and can offer a family much more recreational opportunities.

20. RacquetChat

Hey SB -- just to clarify:

1. we want to increase access for kids at ALL centres, or create new centres, or improve access through schools, tournaments, etc. It's the big picture we're after.

2. VLT has an awesome "guest-of-pro" program.

My apologies to the thread author for hijacking the thread :)

RacquetChat.com