BG65 snapped in less than 2 hrs

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by roby2003, Nov 9, 2004.

1. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

Just restrung a relatively "new" Cab 15 yesterday with BG65 at 21 main x 23 cross with 4 knots.
    The racquet was given to me as a gift, previous owner hardly used it. Thought I'd try an oval shaped racquet since I own MP99 & MP88.

Played for less than 2 hrs. and the main string snapped at the top grommet.
    Close inspection reveals no sharp edges at the grommet to warrant it cutting into the string.
    Was using Mavis 300 thoroughout the night. Games involved were doubles & mixed.

Any feedback to the reason for the quick breakage ? My initial reaction was perhaps a defect with BG65, not the grommet or racquet.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    String might be damaged during stringjob :rolleyes:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how did it snap? did the birdie hit the strings just inside the frame?

4. surge

surge Regular Member

i have similar experience with proace65Ti too. recently strung a racket at 25lb and it snap in less than 2 hours play too. have been using the string at this tension for other rackets too and till total they are still ok. only this one snap. maybe the string already was defective or was demage duri stringing.still i don think its a common problem but just stand alone cases...just your luck le

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yonex strings have reasonably good quality control. It is unlikely the strings broke because of defective quality. If a new string is not handled probably it can be easily bruised. Strings kink easily and stringers often use an awl to poke at the strings. Sometimes the clamp and the gripper in the machine are at fault.

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    BG65 is not so easy to break. Either there is something wrong with your racquet (although you didn't find anything), or you must have mishit the shuttle. A mishit near the top can cause any string to snap.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

In my experience,
    mains break through mishits
    (usually at the top of the racquet)

crosses break through wear
    a mishit on the side of the racquet twists the racquet in your hand which reduces the force on the strings.

That's quite a generalisation, and there can be other reasons (as already mentioned)

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    damaged during stringing? yes that is possible but the fact is that could happen at any other groment as well. how convenient it would be to happen exactly at the spot (the top) where strings normally burst due to 'too high' a mishit.
    chances of that happening is so slim it would only be plausible in an episode of C.S.I (and C.S.I miami :D )

9. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Bg65 is dun break that easily.I think maybe there defect in the string,string problem

10. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

Great feedback.

It wasn't a mishit (IMO). I didn't realize the break until the few shots when I felt lack of tension in returns. Looked and saw the snap.
    I agree, BG65 is very durable & my favourite string. Being using for years and never had problems.
    For me, the string would fray first before it snap.

Went back to the string seller, he told me it was bought in China => the F*** word came into mind ! But packaging is excellent and looked genuine.
    So I bought another BG65 from him to test on the CAB again. This time I'm doing 20 lbs. Main & 22 lbs. Cross and with 2 knots. Let's see...

BTW, any stringers here realize that there is an unique smell to new strings and would last even being strung on a racquet ?
    This BG65 from China does NOT have that smell. Interesting...

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it will be immensely helpful if you can post a picture or a scan of the package and the string. if you have the equipment, a close-up cross section of the string will likely reveal the composition of the string and can tell us if it is a genuine bg65 or not.

12. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

Another BG 65 broke...
    This is the second string I bought from this guy.
    First string went onto the CAB 15. Broke after 2 hours.

2nd string on MP 88 @ 20 lbs x 23 lbs. String snapped at main grommet T1 due to mishit (I think). Strung on Feb 24, broke on Mar 2 after 3 sessions.

My conclusion: his strings are old and/or fake. I will NEVER buy from him again.
    Can't dispute his strings are fake as I can't prove it to him. But other buyers have the same experience re: his strings as well.

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I think the string is fake because a legit stringer can get cheaper real yy strings from country like Taiwan or Singapore. If it is from China, it has high chance of being fake. I will suggest you to ask your friends where you can get a good string job inyour area...

Also, the missing of new string smell is another give away that string is a fake. Just don't get a high from the smell of new string.:D

#13 silentheart, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  14. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    WAHH! TAAANNKK!! :eek:

15. catbear

catbear Regular Member

I have never seen any fake Yonex string. Can you please post pictures about the package, the string, and the broken points?

I recently broke Bg65 on my AT800DE after 10 mins of play. It was due to a mishit...

CB