Simple test on stringing quality

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by taneepak, Nov 11, 2004.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is a very simple test on the quality of the stringing job done on your racquet. Just compare the first and second cross strings at the top, and also the last cross string and the cross string before the last cross string at the bottom of the frame. If you find the first and the last cross strings tension are much lower than their companion's, the stringer hasn't figured out a way how to do it right. You should avoid using them and go and find another stringer. :D

2. robinhood47

robinhood47 Regular Member

It's good you reminded me. I assume that's normal all along.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I know what you mean, but there might be other factors involved:

1. If a string job has been done for days, the difference in tension will be much less significant. Therefore, if you "exam" the quality w/o knowing when it's been done might not be fair.

2. I remember in one of ur old thread, u metioned that certain machine has the advantage to just tension while making the knots. If so, that will make the test even more "pointless", as certain stringers (with ur type of machine) can simply making the knots while maintaining tension, others might not. Note: For Klipper M140 user, such attempt might be dangerous, as it will snap the string with pretty high possibility. :crying:

3. I know the alternative way to main tension is to string the last cross with a bit more tension. (say, tension the last piece with 25, if the customer is asking for 22). However, such attempt might endanger the racket, especially for high tension. Imagine if the racket is asked to be 28, then the extra will be 31+.

4. Also, many ppl recommend to use "string from middle" method for 2 point machine. However, such method will somehow left the top and bottom cross to be less tensioned. So, if someone just use "from top to bottom" or "from bottom to top" method with high tension on a 2 point machine, and greatly endanger a racket, u think they actually doing a better job??? Just because, at least 1 of the "last" cross (depend on where they start) will be fully tensioned? However, such attempt is even worse than "string from teh middle" for 2 point machine. Therefore, I would rather worry about racket breakage then 2-3 lb less in the last cross.

5. Of course, to maintain same tension for cross is important. However, i would worry more about the scratches, tension distribution (balance), breakage and overall tension accuracy much more than 3 lb less tension for the last cross.

:rolleyes:

#3 LazyBuddy, Nov 11, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The end crosses will always be easier to move than the inner crosses because there is no more weave in the mains to help hold them in place.
    (similar for side mains)

how do you propose to check the tension in the crosses?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

That is not quite true. All my stringing jobs don't show obvious loose tension on the end crosses. Using the gripper to pull the knot helps but it cannot be used on the top crosses. ;)

6. kvyra

kvyra Regular Member

hmmm....but why are tensions at the edges so important? just to question? i mean...i personally think that as long as the tension holds around the center strings....its fine...as we should never be hitting outside the sweet spot...doing so damages the strings and the racket...especially with high tension.

i have used many different stringers and some of them string leaving a gap before the last 2 rows of strings at the bottom. With such a string pattern, u will definetely have lower tensions at the bottom...so much as the strings at the bottom might even sag when pressed. Contary to what it might seem, this type of stringing is actually quite common in asia, and as long as the center mains hold a 26 x 22.5 tension(my favourite tension)...i personally never felt a difference.

cheers

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Lose tension at the edges is a source of creeping tension loss. FYI, Yonex R&D is looking hard at reducing such cross string tension loss at the tie-off knot.
    You can have any stringing pattern you care to use, but Yonex's warranty says " it does not cover loss or damage to the Yonex racquet due to failure to comply with the manufacturer's instructions on stringing of the Yonex racquet". Starting from this year's Yonex catalog, Yonex has issued two stringing patterns. You draw your own conclusions. :D

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, if taneepak's idea is to used for judge how well a stringer's "knotting" skill (or, how well the string machine's knotting availability), I don't have a problem at all.

However, there are tons of much more important factors involved in a string process. Just use such a "simple test" to draw the conclusion whether a stringer is doing a good job, I think it's kinda "rush for a conclusion". :rolleyes:

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i didnt made comment on this earlier coz i dont want to get an impression that i jump on taneepak's post all the time :D but...that simple test amounts to kicking a tire or 2 to check on a wheel alignment job done on your car. :p

#9 cooler, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  10. kklam

kklam Regular Member

engineer
    When I string the cross, I usually start from the top. When I string the last cross at the bottom, I'll add 2 Lbs to compensate the tension loss while tieing the knot. What is your practice then.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    On the contrary, some people prefer having the feel of 'looser' cross ends. :p

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12870&highlight=weird+pattern

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I am quoting part of an email I received from Yonex R&D people in Japan: "With pulling + 10% more for cross tie-off at 6, you could avoid losing tension". I disagree with Yonex on the cross tie-off at 6, explaining to them why grommet 7 is preferred. Since then, I have had no response to my followup with them.
    From what Yonex says above, it could mean pulling the tie-off knot at 10% higher tension, or it could also mean pulling the string coming into the tie-off grommet at 10% higher tension. The first could be dangerous for some stringers with unsuitable machines, the second would mean the need of an awl at the tie-off grommet to hold the 10% more tension before knotting.
    :D