On "looking good"

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Adel, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    There have been numerous threads on who the most handsome, beautiful, and even ugly player is on this forum. Personally, my take on professional atheletes is that once they reach a certain level in their respective disciplines, they are just too darn great to look "ugly".

Of course, beauty is defined in different ways and most people choose just to concentrate on the face or body. Pehaps I'm one of those who goes for "feel" - I really believe that the confidence athletes exude when competing at such high levels makes them attractive, whether or not they were blessed with a handsome or pretty face in the first place.

A mixture of confidence, finesse and poise - in Singlish (or Hokkien, rather), we call that "seh".

2. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

that's true. personally, i try to look past facial features, or rather concentrate on a particular person's good side. so, when someone says so and so is terrible looking, etc. i even out by saying stuff like, 'but his/her smile isn't too bad', 'looks honest/humble, etcc.'

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian Regular Member

I agree with Adel totally!! In fact, I think if we were to go strictly by facial features, I think not many players in the badminton world can be considered really very handsome or pretty. There are exceptions of course, but I guess what really attracts fans to them is their "seh" and their fighting spirit when they are on court!! :p :D