Idea to stop "Repeated and Unwanted Questions"

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by FEND., Nov 14, 2004.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Hey Kwun, since new ones to the forum ask questions like What is 3U and 4U and G3 and G4 and stuff, why not put a quiz in the registering page and the only way for them to know is to read the faqs you put before the quiz? Only if they answer the quiz correctly (after a series of 10 questions perhaps [​IMG]) then they can register?

Prolly that's one way to end the repeated questions.

2. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    why don't kwun make a FAQ section on everything about badminton which can be possibly asked and put it on the left hand side highlighting it RED so its an eye catcher making people click it before they post a question up here on the forums :)

just an idea....

3. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Studying where to stick stuff on computer interfaces is what I do, and I agree with vienly that an FAQ section needs more prominence for new users to the board. Having it as a sticky doesn't cut it as a new user already feel overwhlemed by the amount of information and the number of posts. Clicking on a sticky isn't a natural "affordance" when they just want their questions answer.

I agree that a big fat FAQ section, with the answers to the questions laid out in a visually spaced way (i.e. not one big fat series of text) would go a long way in helping with the repeat post problem.

Also, for new users who have say, less than 10 posts, can we have a popup that says, please check the FAQ before you post and the system accepts the post? The popup box would launch a new page with a link to the FAQ page.

Once you're out of this probation, you won't see this popup box anymore. Is it possible to script this in I wonder with this BB software.

4. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Perhaps a better way of sorting out the repeated questions is if as soon as you start your topic title or start a thread A popup reminder comes up asking you if you have used or know of the search function and how to use it.Also when you start the topic title threads with the same title or words in the other threads are listed and are automatically brought to your attention.Like as in do you mean 2ug grip.I of course know that this is what the function of the search icon is for.The thing is to have an option of turning this function off only after you know of its existence just like in the office 2000 assistant asking the dumb repeated question are you sure?I get annoyed at the same questions as well but if a a popup reminder is ignored with all the pertinent threads pertaining to the thread title then no excuse.Suffer the wrath of longtime users who now have reasonable grounds to be annoyed with the people too lazy to use the resources which have been painstakingly added for everyones benefit.

5. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Are you sure repeated questions=unwanted questions?

How many of you like to take quiz? 10s enough??

So we should prepare "An Introduction to the Basic Essentail Principal of elementary Badminton Central Pre-101 for Newbies" plus a set of 100 badminton quiz + 100 psycholgy quiz. Get some tutor to force the "member-on-probation" study before joining as a true member. Those score poorly should study, study and study but don't ask questions that anyone else had asked before. Excuse me, what time is it now?

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    A suggestion is not to force a newbie to do anything. If newbie is seeking answers/advice, then what will motivate newbie is helpful answers/advice.

Since we know, by history, what the questions will be, then a compilation of answers can be made ready, and a cut and paste method can be used to answer newbie. Then an end-of-message banner can be prepared to the effect of "Please do a search."

Repetitions are a fact of life on BadmintonForum, with influx of new members, and age group as well. We know we can change our approach in welcoming newbies. It's easier anyway, since we are familiar BadmintonForum, the Search Functions, and the search words.

-dave

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

mmm.

RedkingJoe, perhaps that is your own interpretation of it. My idea is a simple one whereby to know the answers to basic questions like what is CP / IP / SP and 3UG4, 2UG5, we can be sure that new members will know the answers to their own questions which we see as basic questions. If they don't know they should be able to read it up via a hint or a URL to a faq besides the question, or perhaps reveal the answer via the pressing of a button so that the answer popups.

Basic equipment questions like speed of shuttle, Us and Gs and Yonex country codes are just a few I suggest.

This is just a proposition and I personally think you're being highly critical over a small matter.

My 1.5 cents

#7 FEND., Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  8. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Dear FEND,
    Sorry. I apologize to you. I just wanted to demonstrate the "style" of answering from some guy who keeps on trying to answer to newbie with a mocking way.
    Sorry, if I had hurt your feelings. I had no intention and you are really a helpful guy in this Forum.

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

It's alright, no hard feelings.

10. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Fend,

Thanks.:)

11. nanospeed7000

nanospeed7000 Regular Member

designer
    So right. I just dare not ask question. I saw few new members received some nasty reply to "help" them. These new members never post again.

12. nanospeed7000

designer
    To stop repeated and unwanted questions: shut this forum down. You will never ever receive repeated and unwanted Qs. You don't need to force people to study and take tests.

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    man y do u guys make things so complex?

Simple and easy (without having ppl takin quizzes)

do wut Dave sez...

OR

Just ignore those threads with the repeated questions. This way we wont offend everyone who we tell them to "use the search function" or "do a search" and we wont feel bad for lecturing ppl on how to do things and having them yell at you for trying to help

OR

we can do wut the guy upstairs sez

BUT

personally I think combining the repeated threads n putting them up at the top of the section as stickies could also work (of course this will be more work on the moderators part... so... im not gonna make any calls here! These r jus SUGGESTIONS :D)

#13 JChen99, Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  14. nanospeed7000

designer
    yes yes Chen...what you are saying has been said lots of time..pls do a search! :D

15. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    How could you be so harsh to oldbie? I will force you to sudy Newbie 101 and take a quiz or delete your post or membership.
    (PS you forget to mention: don't tell me you forget to search this topic first before posting )

16. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I do not see "combining repeated threads" suggested anywhere on this thread or as a matter of fact within the entire BF.

Searched: "combine repeat" "combine repeat" "combine thread" "combining repeat" and "combining repeat" with nothing turning up.

You should read the question (or in this case statement) first before u start giving out suggestions. It's alreadi enough having people discussing this topic about newbies, dont give people a reason to start another discussion on handing out faulty, useless suggestions.

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I think it is getting to the stage where we have all seen repeated questions raised in the forum, I think the best way to action this "problem" if it is indeed a problem is to have a PM or e-mail sent to all on registration reminding each newbie to read the FAQ's and supply a link.

The other method would be to nominate someone who can go round all the new members post's and do a search and pase in the links with the search results for them because the header about doing a search before posting is clearly not working.

As Kwun has stated before putting the stickies totaly in red creates a lot of work for him, so that is not the answer, we do not need quizes but possibly the PM or e-mail suggestion might work better since it is passing on information about the very questions a beginner is likley to ask.

18. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    website mechanics

in order to create a new thread, the thread-starter does have to press the "NEW THREAD" button. on most threads, there is also a "similar discussions" list that is at the bottom of the page.

why not marry the two, and a possible check for a new thread selection is to request the thread starter with an option button to search on the keywords or topic, then give them the option to start a new thread (and get the suitable flaming if it gets repeated).

but let's keep as much flexibility as possible to encourage newbies to engage in the forum. we have always encouraged newbies in badminton with trying and practicing. we should also exhibit a similar response to posting. we've all been there to varying degrees.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Or they found the answer ;)

Vienly has proposed a truly useful solution. We'll just have to put it to Kwun to see if he thinks its useful as well.

20. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I'm not sure if this would be less complicated (to the Mod & Kwun) if we were to

1) as DILL has mentioned, have someone paste the links on duplicate posts & politely refer the newbie to use the search function prior to future posts

2) advise the member if he/she starts 3 more duplicate posts, the member will be restricted from posting in the forum for

2a) a preset duration (ex 30 days) & increases in duration with repeated offences
    2b) can only post in the Introduction & ChitChat section
    2c) has to answer a 5 question quiz that forces them to use the search function to find threads/posts to answer the quiz before they can post again

Cheers!