Psychology VS Reality

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I was just reading some posts in a thread in the equipment forum about shaft flex and its effects.

I can play equally as well with a Ti-10 and a Cab 21 Special as well as a Slim-10 which are all very different rackets to each other.

I find that all this stuff about the Ti Mesh and Muscle power and shaft flex don't really have much of an effect of the racket performance. What i find is that its all personal preference.

I also believe that things like shaft flexiness, Ti Mesh and Muscle Power etc have a small effect up to a certain extent.

Anyone have any comments on this?

thanx

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    borrowing kwun's expression.
    DING !

3. May

May Guest

i kinda agree with u byro, cos my Cab8TiPower does seem to be better than my 880, even though it kinda seems lighter @ times, and i thoroughly dislike too-light racquets.

4. jayes

jayes Guest

I agree with your underlying premise that it doesn't matter on what racquet you play with, it depends on the player who wield the racquet. With practice, one can adjust to any racquet.

However, I think that psychology also helps reality. For example, if a player "thinks" that he (or she) can play best with a certain type of racquet(s) (for whatever reason - use it more in practice, won points using that racquet, etc.), it will boost the confidence of that player. Thus he may win more (at least it helps to have more points, if not winning the game?).

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    remember, having good racket skill and footwork also work positively on anyone psychic too.

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hmm ...

Byron, well yes I agree, its a lot to do with preferences than the actual racket most of the time.

But I have to say, certain rackets allow me to do certain things which others don't !

Like my Carb 25, MP-100 and Ti-10 allows me to do a neat cross-court backhand drop while I never seem to be able to do so with my ISO 900 ! ?? Strange but true !

The last time I could do that was with my long departed Boron 2 !!

But its also extremely dependant on your style of play. For me I like to vary my strokes a great deal in any game hence I'm pretty sensitive to what a racket sets my limits on.

And as I observed and as you admitted, you love to whack 'mindlessly hard' even when uncalled for ?? Perhaps thats why? TO me most rackets whack the same to me once I adjust to them. But when you play delicate shots a great deal, you find that the subtle differences set in ! And you tend to play very safe, simple shots unless you've got the extra time opportunity don't you ?

Thats my take at least, but I think you may not agree to that .. :p

7. May

May Guest

Crack sound when u hit the shuttle

Tt's where I get my confidence from, shld be thinking of changing my racquet string soon:D:D