Are there any good up and coming junior players in your club????

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Konnichiwa, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente
    Tell me, do any of you have any talented junior players in your local club and do they have a chance on the professional circuit???

#1 Konnichiwa, Nov 19, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  2. dex

dex Regular Member

Student

It's really funny Konnichiwa.....in your personal profile, it says you're born in 1950 and you're now a student...... :rolleyes: :confused: :cool: :eek:

3. Konnichiwa

Studente
    oh , about that, lol , ill be sure to change that thank you dex.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In reply to your question, yes there are talented juniors at the clubs I play at and no they will not make it on the professional circuit

5. Konnichiwa

Studente
    Thank you for Responding Dill, how old are the junior players in your club? why dont you think they will have a chance on the proffesional circuit?
    Syonara!!!!!

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Could be a mature student, there is no age limit to go to school you know.

Konnichiwa, they are a couple of different ages but the main ones are about 15 and 17, the younger is good but not good enough if you know what I mean, no age group victories or specific squad playing. The elder is putting in more effort but has only been playing for 2 years, mentally he crumbles easily and I think he is nearly 18 so he will need to move into seniors and has not got the goods to deliver against older experienced players.

As a coach they still have a lot of work to put in to be technically sound and as a player if I can take them to a high score on the court then they have a long way to go indeed, but by that time they will be playing against the big boys in senior tournaments without the protection of specific age groups and also knowing all the players, seniors is a different ball game alltogether.

7. Konnichiwa

Studente
    Hi Dill i know what you mean. He is not good enough yet, but theres always room for improvement. Do you think 18 is too late, i mean in seniors there will definetley be good players, experienced and very talented. I dont know how the system of seniors work in Scotland. If he doesnt have a mental state of mind it will make it even harder. Good luck .

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

No age is too late but the prefered method in most places with regaards to juniors is to be able to hold your own in the age group above and sometimes the one above that as well, top juniors should be playing in the European circuit and also the English challenger series.

So to start at 15-16 and think you can make it in juniors is a bit off since you would be required to be playing some senior tournaments when you are only starting out.

To think you are good when you can barely hit a high serve over the doubles line for singles will get you blown out of the water and to let go mentally if things are tough is unforgivable, but maybe it is down to lack of experience?

9. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

The best young player from where I play is probably Scott Evans, he's 17 or 18 and according to worldbadminton.net his doubles ranking is 98. He's talented alright, dunno how far he'll get, time will tell. It'd be nice to have some Irish players up at the top though :D.