Yonex Main and Cross stringing recommendation.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by CanuckBur, Nov 20, 2004.

1. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Hi,

This is my Yonex racquet's factory spec:

Stringing Recommendation
    Main: 14-16 lbs. (6-7 kg)
    Cross: 16-28 lbs. (7-8 kg)

By looking at this, how much tension does the company recommend for the tension?

We usually ask for a shop to string it at a number of pounds. How a stringer breaks the tension into Main and Cross tensions? Thanks.

2. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Recommended tension is what they already said but usually it can go slightly higher like 3lbs or so...and seperating the tensions i am not very sure...but my stringer always free weave the main then build the tension and do so for the cross

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Depends on whether the stringer knows/follows Yonex recommendations or not.

If you asked for 16lb you might get:

16lb Main
    18lb Cross

or

16lb Main
    16lb Cross

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    That should be 18 lbs. Based on Yonex's stringing recommendation, your cross needed to be 2 lbs higher than your mains to maintain the Isometric shape of the racquet so if you string at the max. recommended, you would string 16 lbs main and 18 lbs cross. As you said, most of us just asked for a number (e.g. 22lbs) which depending on your stringer, he could string it at 22/24lbs or 20/22 lbs or worse/better still, he could just string it at 16/18lbs without informing you ('coz he thinks that you don't know what you need).

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I will give them 21/23lb to get the average of 22lb. :)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even 3 lbs is a very safe approach. Most ppl tend to go above 22lb, even the rec. tension says 14-16. Unless the string tension is set to be unbelieveable high, most the brokeage are actual not due to high tension, but mis-usage.

7. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Regular Member

Molecule builder
    Yeah but if you string at a high tension and encounter an unexperienced stringer then your racket will break in the process of stringing!

In fact Yonex has very strict regulations on stringing and even more so at high tensions (just found a document containing all the details), it even goes as far as recommending the type of stringing machine to be used! :eek:

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I'll start the rush of people saying:
    document
    what document?
    where can I see that?
    can you post it on here?

9. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Regular Member

Molecule builder
    http://www.bbesports.com/yonex/howtostring.htm

Well it's all in Chinese so you'll need a translator. ;)

But one important thing about stringing at extra high tension: As the first five and last four cross strings are relatively shorter, in order to preserve their life span, it is recommended that the first five cross strings be stringed at no more than 25 pounds and the last four no more than 28 pounds.

Yonex also recommends stringing the crosses 2 pounds/10 % higher than the mains.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The reason for the suggested limits on the first 5 strings and the last four cross strings is to minimize the racquet bulge towards the top and bottom of the frame coupled with the thickness of the racquet beam and the fact that the side-to-side compressive elasticity or modulus of the frame diminishes from the centre towards the head and throat. You can actually test this with an unstrung racquet by compressing the sides of the racquet inwards with both your hands. The centre can collapse 1" or more without distress whilst the inward movement of the top and throat is more limited. However, these limits, whilst prudent on 2-point machines, do not apply to machines with at least 2-4 side supports. :D

11. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Yea... Mine went over 22 even if they said 14-18 or something like that...was trying to approach 23 but didnt do so in the end

12. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Thanks for all your answers! Other than Tad's and VRC, do you know anyone in GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional Districts) is a good stringer and string it at a cheaper price? (so I can spread the news to my friends. Some of them have racquets wait to be strung but don't want to spend too much on stringing.) Thanks.

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Flex Pro at Main and 21st, strings racket for $15 dollars (string included, FlexPro brand though) or something like that.

-dave

14. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    But is their reputation established yet? I mean that are the new kids on the block. Tads and Abbies have had I'm sure thousands of badders who can attest to their reliability.

15. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You're looking for commercial stringers, right? Cheap and good are rare combinations.

I can't vouch for FlexPro being good stringers yet, but they are cheap.

-dave

16. other

other Regular Member

Student
    Do you mean then that if the stringer uses a 4+ point machine, then it is better (less stress on racquet frame) to string both directions at the same required tension?

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Please note that 4 side support is not the same as 4-point. You can have more than 4-point support on 2-support system. The key is that the 4 supports must be on the sides of the racquet, specifically at the 1-2 o'clock, 4-5 o'clock, 7-8 o'clock and 10-11 o'clock positions. There are generally two types of side supports. The most popular one is the V-shaped support that prevents the frame from moving outwards. The other is the clamp-down system that clamps these 4 locations in a locked position, preventing the frame from moving both inwards and outwards. The latter is, in my opinion, a better system but it requires special care to avoid bruising the frame. The greatest stress and danger during high tension stringing occurs during the cross string stringing process, where the frame is literally being wrenched sideways with great force. The side supports minimize or prevent such sideways movement. Such systems with multiple side supports can withstand higher tension than the head and throat support system, but they are not normally used in stringing stores because of its extremely slow stringing job turnaround and hence loss of business. :D

18. other

other Regular Member

Student
    ah ok....but 23-24lbs won't be regarded as high tension? I understand that with the 4 side supports the racquet will have less stress while strung, but after you take it off, won't the tension of the strings start to stress the racquet, but the mains and crosses don't need to be at different tensions?

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

After you have strung the racquet, dismounting it from the machine will not stress the racquet at all, because the racquet is being pulled inwards by opposing forces-mains offsetting the crosses-that in theory should result in a state similar to its unstrung state. In reality, there is a very small amount of stress, but if you deviate too much from the 10% main/cross tension differential the stress will be greater.
    Try to visualize what will happen to your strung racquet if you were to cut just the cross strings. This will result in the loss of the cross string opposing forces, and you will see what mighty forces your main strings are capable in the absence of the cross strings. :D

20. other

other Regular Member

Student
    so basically, there should be a 10% main/cross difference if the racquet is gping to be used for longer than 1 game (ie. non-professionals) for ISO heads, including MP and AT?