Mp99 Or Mp100????

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by chewybar1986, Nov 20, 2004.

1. chewybar1986

chewybar1986 Regular Member

Student
    Hi
    Ive got a problem, my mate is goin to hong kong in 2 weeks and Ive asked him to get me either the mp99 or mp100 and i would like to know which racquet would be best to get please give me your opinion on the racquets and which one I should get.
    Thanx!:)

2. PoseidonLee

PoseidonLee Regular Member

Technician
    Which is best can only be answer by yourself. MP100 is a very stiff, head heavy racket more for the attacking player. Mp99 is more even balance. Depends on which is ur style. MP100 is not a easy racket to use.

that's my 2 cents worth. ;)

3. chewybar1986

Student
    thanx but I want your personal opinions on the racquets and if you were in this position which racquet would you get or if you have the racquets give me your opinion to which one you would buy

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Different rackets suit different players differently. While an MP-99 may be the favourite of player A, it might be least favourite by player B.

If you haven't tried both rackets yourself, then you'll have to compare based on your existing racket as a reference point.

We have a sticky post, or FAQ available that serves as a guide in racket selection. Knowledgeable advice will only mirror PoseidonLee's, given the amount of information you've posted.

-dave

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

My opinion is that you shouldn't get either of those racquets.

6. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    How long have you been playing? If you have just started a year or two ago, then it is still too soon to get one of the high-end racquets since you have yet developed good techniques to fully use those racquet's full potential. That may still be the case even for 3rd or 4th year players. Racquets do not make that much of a difference [very very small difference] in a game.

As for your question, the Muscle Power 99 is more of an all-around racquet well suited for doubles while the Muscle Power 100 is very offensive since it is the most stiff and powerful racquet that Yonex has ever made making it better suited for single. I have four Muscle Power 100s (three 3Us and a 2U) and a Muscle Power 99 (3U). The MP-99 speed is faster than that of any of my MP-100s which is good for doubles play since the game is faster. The MP-100s sacrifice some speed for a bit more power.

I would recommend you getting a Carbonex 30 MS. That racquet is very good for all level players. I consider that one of the top racquets without a pricey tag. However, if you feel that you are ready then by all means get one.

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    You like bananas or apples? It's your taste that matters.

8. trunks512

trunks512 Regular Member

mp-100 is better
    its more head heavy and stiff

9. chewybar1986

Student
    I've played with both racquets (borrowed them off my mate) but the mp100 had a few cracks on the base of the frame due to many clashes and the mp99, the strings were in terrible condition because of the lack of restringing to the racquet (I belive he hadn't strung the racquet for a year and a bit) so I couldn't really get the best feel for them but I thought that they were quite similar but that might be because of the poor condition they were in, I don't know. But I would say that I would think of my self as a good defensive player but with a good smash but I do rely on my defensive shots alot and I like to string my racquets at 24-25lbs

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I also like prefer the 100 than the 99 but for I would disagree with what most people say; that the mp100 is head heavy in comparison to the mp99. I find it head light, and that the mp99 is more head heavy.

I like the "extra stiff" feel of the mp100, it gives my shots a lot crisper/solid feel.

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I have MP100, but have never played with MP99.
    I would say MP100 is even balance (compared to other racquets I have that are head-heavy or light)

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    yeah, thats a fair comment. I have both the 99 and 100 and find the 100 much more head light than the 99. But its by no means the most head-light racquet I've used.

13. chewybar1986

Student
    So it seems that most of u like the mp100 because of the power that it can generate, but what would you say the mp99 has as an advantage over the mp100?

14. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I've played both for years now, and there really isn't much difference. True, the MP-100 is slightly stiffer, and the MP-99 is a little more head heavy. But the difference is so small that when I switch between them I really don't notice the change -- in any case it doesn't affect my game. They're both great racquets for me. One is not "better" than the other.

If you want one of these, my advice is go for the best priced one.

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The advantage of the Mp99 over the Mp100 is in its control. It has a much more stable face than the Mp100. Also, the Mp100 has a smaller sweetspot than the Mp99 and is therefore less forgiving. Although I prefer the mp100, the 99 is one of the best "control" racquet I have used. Net shots are much easier with the 99.

For me, the main difference between the 99 and the 100 however is the weight of the head. Its particularly noticeable when you are required to play a quick backhand drive with very little take-back. This is where the mp100 is so good.

16. chewybar1986

Student
    but I always thought that the mp 100 was head heavy and the mp99 was of an even balance or atleast thats what the manufactures of yonex tells you. well I guess you cant always believe what you read.:)

17. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    nope definetely the mp 100 is head heavy.i tried playing my patient game while using mp 100 and it felt different from using the mp 99.i could not play the patient game that i had when playing singles,resulting in may unforced errors and mishits.

18. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    It all boils down to what type of player are you and what kind of games do you play. If you are offensive who likes to use power from smashes or any power shot to punish your opponents, then the MP-100 is your choice. It is also true if you play more singles game then doubles. If you are an all around players who uses everything, the MP-99 is perfect for you. It is more of a doubles racquet than a singles racquet.

MP-100 = Ultimate power / Offensive player / Use better in singles then doubles game

MP-99 = Excellent power / All around player-racquet / More for doubles games then singles

However, you must remember that the differences between these two racquets are very minimal. You can use the MP-99 in singles game and the MP-100 in doubles game too. Also, this is just in general and it may not even apply to you. You may like the MP-100 better in your doubles game and/or prefer the MP-99 in your singles game. The best advice/recommendation for this type of questions is to go out and try it.

19. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    I feel that while the MP-100 is the stiffest racquet Yonex has ever made, it is an even-balance racquet. This should also be true for the MP-99 but I think it may be a little more head heavier than the MP-100 due to the slim shaft.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. For those of you that have the MP-99 or planning to get the MP-99, becareful when using it in your doubles games for it is very fragile. This racquet is classified as a slim racquet therefore very susceptible to damage during clashes.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

i think ALL graphite frame rackets are susceptible to damage during clashes.
    I have numerous paint chips (from clashes) on my mp99, slapped on concrete and wood floors numerous times, still one piece.

#20 cooler, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004