Shuttle hitting the roof

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Birdie, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Birdie

Birdie Guest

In the rare event this happens (more frequently of course if roof is lower), is the point supposed to be re-played, or the side that hit the shuttle into the roof loses serve for that point? I have heard people claim both...so which is it?

Thanks!

2. Tim Yu

Tim Yu Guest

I've always seen it played as a fault

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Minimum ceiling height?

Does anyone know if there is a minimum ceiling (or overhang obstruction) for a standard badminton court? I've played in some gyms where basketball backboards or air conditioning units are over the court and rather low.

According to (IBF) Law 13.2.4, It is a 'fault'... if in play, the shuttle... touches the ceiling or side walls.

However, I have not seen any mention of a minimum ceiling height.
    Some local tournaments here have been played in substandard gyms. If the court has a ceiling that is too low (or obstructions that are too low) exceptions to Law 13.2.4 are sometimes made. In these situations, a serve that hits the ceiling or obstruction is considered a 'let' and is taken over. However, once a point commences and ceiling or obstruction contact is a fault.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Minimum ceiling height?

i can't find it anymore, but i remember reading from somewhere that in situation like these, the birdie hitting all "permanent structures" are considered fault and others are consider let. i can't find this in the IBF Laws though.

eg. of permanent structures are walls, ceiling, metal beam support, etc.

eg. of non-permanent structures are retractable basketball backboards.

and many times, there are gym rules, different gyms i play in have different rules.

kwun

5. AAA

AAA Guest

If not mistaken, it's 5 metres.

6. viver

viver Regular Member

I've read in the past some documentation about it but memory is failing me. If not mistaken for tournaments, minimum acceptable ceiling height is 12 m.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied

I'd be a little surprised if it was a whole metric number like 5 or 12m since most measurements for badminton were originally developed with the old imperial measurements, inches & feet (still ised in the U.S.).

8. May

May Guest

I think Viver's correct, remember my coach talking abt this regulation sometime ago.