Looking for a practice partner in Surrey

Discussion in 'UK' started by Gollum, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'd like to find someone to practise badminton with locally. The main aim is to improve technique; we could also do some tactical practices.

I live in Kingswood, Surrey. Some possible venues where I could play: Reigate, Dorking, Epsom. If you live in this area, and are interested in improving your badminton, please read on :)

About me:

23 year old male; good local league standard (though haven't played for a while); qualified coach (CP1/level 2).

About you:

Skill level: you don't need to be as skilled as I am, but you do need to be a competent player with the ability to hit most basic shots. You don't need to have a backhand clear/smash/whatever, nor does it matter if you have lots of weaknesses (so do I). Of course, if you are better than I am, then I will be happy too :)

About the sessions:

Time: I'm very flexible about when we practise.
    Duration: 2 hours or longer
    Frequency: once a week, perhaps
    Shuttles: feather
    Cost: shared

You also get some free coaching ;) Bear in mind that this will be casual and of limited use, since your standard will be too high for me to coach effectively. Nevertheless, there are advantages to having a practice partner who is also a coach.

Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

2. ManuelUK

ManuelUK Regular Member

Bank
    Hi Gollum,

I live in London, Victoria/Pimlico area (UK) and I am currently playing in Wimbledon. But it is quite far from where I am and it costs really a lot. But this is not the major problem. The problem is they only play doubles all the time, no practice at all, no singles, and I have to wait quite a while before I get picked (because I am new).
    I play at the A level here in the club's, don't know if that is good, but I've been playing for over 10 years with 6 years of coaching. I had excellent coaching.
    I really would like to practice once in a week, do drills etc....But I don't have a car as well, that's why I am quite restricted to where I can play.
    I would only be able to play in the evenings. (I am 27 years old).

Regards,
    Manuel

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I should mention:

I will answer all replies by private message; if I find someone, then I'll post to say so.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i run into similar dilemma too, hard to find people to do drills or practice with, they all want to play games, 95% time doubles too. I too had to resort to finding people (usually juniors) that are more receptive to practising.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Indeed. It's hardly surprising that many of the club players I know have had the same skills for 10 years. They don't practise, so they don't improve; simple as that!

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I've noticed the same thing in the clubs where I play, no one ever changes and the games become stale and familiar after so long. No one wants to do drills or general practice because they all consider themselves good in their little comfort zone, and will only ever play games.

It is bloody difficult to find a good coach up here as they are all employed by squads or contracted and are unable to offer much time after they have finished with the squads and extra hours with the players in them :mad:

I've been trying to find a coach prefered Advanced level in Glasgow area for the best part of 10 months without much luck :( :crying:

Sorry Gollum, had to get that rant out :eek: