Weird stringing pattern

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Mr. Anderson, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Regular Member

Molecule builder
    Alright, so my Cab 30MS has finally been strung, but when I looked at the racket, I knew something was "wrong" and that was confirmed when I counted the number of cross strings, there were only 22 of them! The first cross string was left out!

I've searched some threads and it seems that some stringers like to string this way and claim this increases the power/control.

However, is this the case for the 1st cross string (from top to bottom) to be left out? Also is this a normal practice for oval rackets?

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The number of cross strings for non-AT800 racquets is 22, the same as the number of main strings.
    What do you mean by saying the 1st cross string has been left out? The first cross string starts at grommet 7 at the top, the last cross string finishes at grommet 9. So, if you count from grommet 7 at the top to grommet 9 at the throat end, you should get 22.
    Generally, the grommet system is identical for all Yonex non-At800 racquets, oval, Iso included. :D

3. need2know

need2know Regular Member

i thoguht is 23 also... :eek: :eek:

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    most of mine have 23, 2 were restrung, one is factory
    1 has 22, it is "missing" the bottom most cross, this is also factory strung :confused:

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you look at a modern racquet's grommet system, you will see that it is designed for 22 strings for the mains and crosses. Look at the bottom grommet 10, where the last main string comes out for the last time, you can see the string coming out and then going into the bottom grommet 8 for the tie-off knot. At the top look at grommet 6, a large grommet for the starting knot of the cross string. Then look at the bottom grommet 9, another large grommet, where the final cross string comes out and then goes into the last large grommet 7 for the final tie-off knot. If you have 23 strings with the final cross coming out from grommet 8 at the bottom, you will then have to use grommet 6 for the final tie-off. Some racquets with newer grommet systems can not handle this because their bottom grommet 6 has room for only one string.
    However, there are a lot of different stringing patterns, although all of them do have 22 main strings. The only deviation is in the cross strings, some have 21 strings, some 23, but the standard is 22. However, if you prefer 21 or 23 cross strings, don't forget that the 10% higher tension for the cross strings doesn' hold anymore. For 21 strings, the cross should be strung about 15% higher. For 23 strings, the cross should be strung 5% higher. It is the total tension of all the cross strings vs the total of the mains, and the former should be 10% higher. :D

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Are you only talking about Yonex?

Carlton (oval) pattern is 22 main x 23 cross
    I don't know about their new Powerblade headshape.

Someone gave me a Fleet racquet (part of Yehlex) to string the other day.
    It was factory strung with 22 main x 25 cross.
    I emailed Yehlex to check and got this reply
    "We do put 25 cross strings but other people string our racket only use 23. It is really up to the stringer."

Prince is another that is different. Only 18 mains in some racquets.

7. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Regular Member

Molecule builder
    My bad, I remembered wrongly. I thought the standard was 23 instead of 22, sorry for the mistake. (But at least I have gained more knowledge :D)

So 22 mains and crosses is the standard for Yonex rackets, right?

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, 22 for mains and crosses is the standard for Yonex racquets. Many Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers also follow this standard.

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

it all depends on the stringer's habits, preferences of the stringer and the owner, and i guess whether or not they string to manufacturer suggestions or not.

the yonex standard is indeed 22 main x 22 cross.
    most oem jobs i see here come with 22 main x 23 cross.

the three main racquets i use now is strung is 22 main x 22 cross (deleted 21st cross), so in essence, 21 crosses.
    two being carlton, one is black knight.
    the string jobs both deviated from the manufacturer suggestions, by going with the yonex standard string pattern, with the deleted cross, and everything seems to be working fine.

there isn't much of a difference, really. any differences are minute.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    22 cross for cab30ms should be fine. The top one starts @ T7 (knot @ T6), and bottom @ B9 (knot @ B8).

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is not quite right, because the new AT 800 series have only 21 cross strings, due to a change in the AT 800 grommet system. But by and large 22 x 22 is the generally accepted standard. :D

12. Malik

Malik Regular Member

I do my own tension's and I got 24 cross..
    I start in 7. grommet and then goes to 9. grommet...and then goes all up to 6. top..

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You take the cross string coming out of grommet 9 at the throat end and then loop back to the top grommet 6? This is indeed weird. Still, this gives you only 23 cross strings. Where did the 24th cross string go into? :confused:

14. Neil Nicholls

I think he means he strings 1 piece, crosses bottom to top, after the mains he starts the crosses at Bottom 7, skips 8, then does crosses from Bottom 9 all the way up to Top 6. That is 24 crosses.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, I see. The reason for skipping the bottom grommet 8 is obvious, because it looks superflous, and I might also add, possibly illegal. If you look at a racquet, stringing the crosses at grommet 6 at the top and grommet 7 at the bottom risks deforming the affected grommets, creating a possible friction point of contact between the string and the grommets. :D

16. Malik

Malik Regular Member

Couldnt say it any better, thanks ;)

17. Malik

Malik Regular Member

Hmm...I doesn't really understand what you are saying :(
    Yonex-denmark makes there tensions like that...exept that they doesn't go up to 6.grommet...and they don't start at the bottom..

Why I go to 6.grommet is that I've tried a couple of times where the cock has gone through the strings right up in top of the racket! never tried it when I've string it to 6.grommet.. now I'm playing with AT800-OF so now I'm not making it to 6.grommet...and yes I've same problem with the cock goes through the racket (only tried it once with at800 and 2times with my old racket) ;)

Hope that you guys can understand what I'm saying? :eek: I'm not that good at english..hihi...just ask if there is something that doesn't make sense, and I'll try to explain it again ;)

18. Neil Nicholls

Well don't hit it there then :p

19. Malik

Malik Regular Member

HeHe I can only try :rolleyes:
    I don't know if it has/had anything to do with that, but the string didn't eigther break in top of the frame so offen..:confused:

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You must have incredible power to smash the cork so hard that it passed through the strings at the racquet top. I have not seen it done. Or is it possible that the times when the cork went through your racquet strings, there was some gap in the stringbed that was not supposed to be there?