User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess it is legal because the net is attached to it... i dunno... whatever... never happened to me anyway...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hitting the posts

from the original interpretation of the laws of badminton, if the shuttle hits the post which the net is connected, and continues over the net, it is still considered in play. the consideration however was for posts that are regulation height, and properly installed at the side of the court and the law did not originally anticipate multi-purpose posts that provide volley ball heights as well. unfortunately i have seen this interpretation of the rule to imply that hitting anywhere on this post, then the shuttle continuing onto the other side of the court to be considered in play, even though the post may be 1 or 2 feet from the side of the court (ie in some gyms the net is hanging over the court, with court posts standing maybe 1 to 2 feet from the side edge).

if this is a tournament or competition using this style of post, this rule must be clearly mentioned as to what is considered a fault or permitted.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

there is a rule that says:

13. FAULTS
    It is a 'fault':
    13.2 if in play the shuttle:
    13.2.6 touches any other object or person outside the immediate surroundings of the court;

i believe the support is considered outside the immediate surrounding of the court.

other objects that would be outside the immediate surrounding would be:

- the service judge
    - the box of used/unused shuttles
    - the umpire's high chair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUT in the very beginning of the rules posts are included in the list of the court equipment (even though their height is restricted - but no instructions what 2 do if they are higher), so they are supposed to be part of the net (and not the part of "immediate surrounding") and therefore this shuttles should be ok - the player who made such a crazy shot should score. And BTW he/she deserves it, don't you think so?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mikie is right. The poles are by definition part of the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, they are. Actually, at the very beginning the baseline was wider than the net and the court was shaped like an hourglass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oké then:-), then now i go pratice to hit the "tower"

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"The Law" says:

1.4 The posts shall be 1.55 metres in height from the surface of the court and shall remain vertical when the net is strained as provided in Law 1.10.

1.5 The posts shall be placed on the doubles side lines as in Diagram A, irrespective of whether singles or doubles is being played.

i re-read Kevin's original post that prompted this discussion. he never mentioned whether the post is oversized or standard. i agree with badrad, if there are non-standard poles, the rules should be ammended by the local gym or tournament officials...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default it happened one night...

this was argued and had to have two officials to resolve during a tournament. the tournament was a small gym using multi-purpose standards the ones that have two sides and capable to support two volleyball nets. the standard is mounted almost 2 feet from the side of the court, a typical rec center scenario.

during play the shuttle was hit out of bounds, passed through the standard hitting a piece of the metal bar then falling back onto the opponent side in-bound. needless to say the argument that ensued - this was not clearly mentioned at the beginning of the tournament to outline the boundaries, so it was argued that the shuttle was legitimate, as per the badminton laws. for all practical purposes, the shuttle would have wound up hitting the wall or side court, but it was disputed.

after almost 10 minutes of arguing, the first official said it was a legal play. a second opinion was requested on the fact that the standard was not mounted in an official position therefore it was not considered part of the court. the second official declared that this was in fact not a regulation installation of the standard. and ruled it out. they had to make an announcement to clarify that since the posts were not install in the proper location, hitting of any post was considered a fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default shuttle deflects off post and into play

hello everyone

what if my shot hits the netpost and deflects into the opposing half, and the opponent makes a mistake by hitting the shuttle to the net or shoots outside of the court (i.e. lose the rally).

Did i won the rally, or did i lose the rally when the shuttle hit the post?

It's an important question. Please help.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won the rally.

It is NOT a fault if the shuttle hits the net post and your opponent touches it (or if it lands within court boundaries on his/hers side). Rule 15.2 of the Laws of Badminton applies here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot Mag !

Really appreciate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Smackdown

It might be open to debate if it was Singles.

If it was doubles I would say
    You won the rally as long as the shuttle went either
    a) over the net
    OR
    b) around the outside of the post

Law 13.2

It is a fault if in play, the shuttle
    13.2.1 lands outside the boundaries of the court
    13.2.2 passes through or under the net
    13.2.3 fails to pass the net
    13.2.4 touches the ceiling or side walls
    13.2.5 touches the person or dress of a player
    13.2.6 touches any other object or person outside the immediate surroundings of the court

None of 13.2 apply

13.2.6 comes close, but because of Laws

1.3 All lines form part of the area they define
    1.5 The posts shall be placed on the doubles side lines irrespective of whether singles or doubles is being played.

In doubles, the posts are inside the boundaries of the court, so they cannot be "outside the immediate surroundings of the court"

In singles, the posts are outside the boundaries of the singles court, so are they "outside the immediate surroundings of the court"?
    I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    You won the rally.

It is NOT a fault if the shuttle hits the net post and your opponent touches it (or if it lands within court boundaries on his/hers side). Rule 15.2 of the Laws of Badminton applies here.

this is assuming that the shuttle was over the net and hit the top part of the pole correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oops

I was thinking of a case where you hit the post and the shuttle lands in court on the other side of the net (without the opponent hitting it).

and part of Law 1.4 contradicts my deductions based on 1.3 and 1.5
    1.4 ... Posts shall not extend into the court.

I confused myself because I was remembering a situation I was once in where I lost a rally.
    In singles, I played a cross-court drop shot that would have been wide, but it hit the net, rolled over and landed in the tramlines....BUT, it landed on the foot of the support for the net post and bounced back into the singles court.

I tried to claim the point, but my opponent (my coach) refused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    You won the rally.

I don't see why dykp83 would have won the rally and I don't see why 15.2 would apply
    A shuttle is not in play when:
    15.2 it strikes the net or post and starts to fall towards the surface of the court on the striker’s side of the net;
    I am assuming here that the reason why the shuttle would deflect off the post and in was because the post is taller than the net (which then would count as an obstruction). If the post is the same height as the net (as in regulations posts), then there is no way that a shuttle deflecting off the post can land on the opponent's court AND be over the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on what kind of post.

this thread should clear things up

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...highlight=post

if the post is on the game line, it's in
    if the post is located outside the game line, it's out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast