User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up I think you lost that point

looks like you lost that rally. Almost all the badminton post that I have play with or see were setup outside the court or right beside the court. So if you are playing single, then definitely you have lost the point by where the post are. Also, I think any interference with the bird beside your racket is a automatic fault, unless specify otherwise (of course beside hitting the top of the net and rolled over the other side).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this exact scenario happened to me, but my opponent was adament that it was a fault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting point Neil makes about singles as the posts are clearly outside the boundries of the marked court

For doubles it is not a fault, the posts are considered as part of the net and as the shuttle can hit the net and tumble over it can also hit the post and tumble over as most posts are placed on the doubles lines of the court and as such count as part of the court.

Properly set up posts should never be outside the marked area of play, the outer edge of the post should be at right angles to the outside edge of the doubles line, the inside should be at right angles to the inside of the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello

Thanks guys for discussing

so i conclude that if the post is on the doubles line (following regulations) and:

-if singles, it is OUT, as the post is outside the court

-if doubles it is IN, as the pole is still on the line (in-court)

I hope this is correct

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dykp83
    hello

Thanks guys for discussing

so i conclude that if the post is on the doubles line (following regulations) and:

-if singles, it is OUT, as the post is outside the court

-if doubles it is IN, as the pole is still on the line (in-court)

I hope this is correct

Thanks again
    From my understanding, the post is part of the net and if your shot hit the post and went in, it should be called IN regardless whether it's doubles or single.

I think the law 13.2.6 touches any other object or person outside the immediate surroundings of the court refers to objects that are not part of the court like lights, umpire chairs, walls etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite so. The posts are by definition part of the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm...the post is part of the net .....makes sense....

so regardless of doubles or singles, its still IN then? ok...

thanks everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this likely to ever happen in singles unless you are hitting a shuttle that is blatantly out, or driving a shuttle which would land way outside the side line? (except for the above example)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    Quite so. The posts are by definition part of the net.
    what about the supports for the post, when present?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a trick question: according to Rule 1.4, posts that extend into court are illegal. The Laws of Badminton can't help in cases where the equipment does not apply to the rules, can they?

Don't make things more complicated than they are. If the shuttle hits the floor support after going over the net (however unlikely that is), common sense would say that it's in if the point of impact is on or inside court boundaries, otherwise it should be a fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    That's a trick question: according to Rule 1.4, posts that extend into court are illegal. The Laws of Badminton can't help in cases where the equipment does not apply to the rules, can they?

Don't make things more complicated than they are. If the shuttle hits the floor support after going over the net (however unlikely that is), common sense would say that it's in if the point of impact is on or inside court boundaries, otherwise it should be a fault.
    It has happened to me !
    Common sense shouldn't have to come in to it. The laws are at fault for being vague. And not just in this area.

and it used to be legal for posts to extend into court
    1.4 ... [until 1 August 2004, the limitation on extensions into the court will apply only to IBF sanctioned events]

P.S.
    where is it that "The posts are by definition part of the net."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ibf laws only work for equips within ibf standards.

lets have some common sense here.
    i had played with posts that is 10 ft high, or extends 2 to 3 feet outside the double lines. I'm certain to say that the shuttle is obvious 'out' in order to hit those posts, even if the shuttle eventually landed 'in', it's really a fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most posts specifically made for badminton are the same thickness as the tape used for marking the lines, that is why they are part of the marked court boundaries. The outside edge of the pole is an extension upwards of the outside line on the doubles court similarly the inside edge of the post is an extension of the inside line of the doubles court.

You do get multi-purpose poles for volleyball and badminton which have eyelets for a badminton net but they are far too tall and extend upwards, they are designed to be outside of the doubles court with their inner edge being an extension of the outside of the doubles line.

Phew that took a while..............hope it makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simple, if the poles are inside the court boundries for singles( that is rather impossible, and agianst the rules),or doubles(illegal too) it is in then.if the poles are outside...its out! both for singles and doubles

but isnce kwun says it is in....i think i am wrong.

but no..the clause he posted........is agianst my statements...so maybe its in...but what my common sense tells me..its out
    Last edited by Furqan; 11-27-2004 at 02:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this talk of where the post is is silly!

1.5 The posts shall be placed on the doubles side lines as in Diagram A irrespective of whether singles or doubles is being played.

So if the post isn't where it should be and it affects a rally then a let is surly the only sporting way to sort it?! If the post is where it should be, it is IN. This has come up in a match I've played before and it was ruled in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjhuk
    All this talk of where the post is is silly!

1.5 The posts shall be placed on the doubles side lines as in Diagram A irrespective of whether singles or doubles is being played.

So if the post isn't where it should be and it affects a rally then a let is surly the only sporting way to sort it?! If the post is where it should be, it is IN. This has come up in a match I've played before and it was ruled in
    if a post is on doubles side line( this means its outside the surroundings of the singles court....)..its still in u say when shuttle hits it?

rule states "outside the immediate surroundings of the court", im confused about it, if the post is on doubles side line...and singles is being played...and the shuttle hits the post...and comes in..to opponents side...would it be considered "outside" the surroundings of the singles court?? or it would still be in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furqan
    if a post is on doubles side line( this means its outside the surroundings of the singles court....)..its still in u say when shuttle hits it?

rule states "outside the immediate surroundings of the court", im confused about it, if the post is on doubles side line...and singles is being played...and the shuttle hits the post...and comes in..to opponents side...would it be considered "outside" the surroundings of the singles court?? or it would still be in?
    If you hit the post in singles and the shuttle fall towards your opponent side, the shuttle is still in play. (Law 15.2). The argument is that the pole is outside surrrounding of the court and should be a fault. But if you refer to (Law 1.5) it states that the post should be place on the doubles sidelines regardless of singles or doubles. Meaning the post is part of the court not considered outside the court surrounding otherwise they would have specified that the post be move for single match or the single sidelines be indicated. As for non-comforming post it cleary stated in appendix 1 that sideline be inidicated either by a post or strip of material, and be placed on the double sidelines refering to law 1.5.

A shuttle is not in play when
    15.2 it strikes the net or post and starts to fall towards the surface of the court on the striker's side of the net;

1.5 The post shall be placed on the doubles side lines as in Diagram A irrespective of whether singles or doubles is being played.

Appendix 1
    Variations in court and equipment
    1. Where it is not practicable to have posts on the sidelines, some method shall be used to indicated the position of the sidelines where they pass under the net, eg by the use of this post or strips of material 40 mm wide, fixed to the side lines and rising vertically to the net cord.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast