Problem with smashes.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ckloo, Nov 25, 2004.

1. ckloo

ckloo Regular Member

I always suffer bad smashes either it is not accurate or too weak...​
    Sometime I even miss it.Is it because the shuttle I receive is not high enough?​
    I am standing at 180cm tall...and some frens told me,I no need to go for a jumping smash as my height is good enough for a killer smash.One more question,how can I accurately get my timing rite?Because from my observation,I think my main prob is because of timing....​
    Thanks​

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I'd start slow and make sure you get good extension on your swing. The next step is the scissor kick which with help with hip/body rotation that will bring more power to your smash. Practise makes perfect.

I would experiment with hitting the bird right over top of you and slightly in front of you to see where best contact is made.

Some people, like myself, smash harder while I'm moving backwards, other do better when they get behind the bird and jump into it ( which is better as your momentum is forward to take the next shot)

3. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't run before you learn how to walk.

Take it easy bro....at 180cm tall who needs to jump. Get the swing and foot work (aka positioning) right first. Once u master this meaning u can hit as and when u want and the birdy 85% goes to the place u want then u progress.

You keep missing and say no power and know ur timing wrong still keep jumping...u will look silly and risk injury.

At 180cm...a good swing and positioning will send ur oppenents begging. Jumping does not always give best shots....though is looks very impressive. Jumping also make the player tired fast.

I think u are infected with the amature myth of smashing. Take care and Good luck.

4. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    im also having problems recently.im diff im only 164cm:crying: .i really think my timing is out and usuaslly when i smash from the baseline, i will have to jump.but sometimes i can really feel that my timing is out.i really dont know how to cope with it.or not the smash will go to the net.most of the my smash is also always floating.can some1 tell me what i can do:confused: :confused:

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Don't smash from the baseline as the angle is just not there unless you jump about 1 metre into the air.

The further back on the court you are the flatter the smash will be if you take it from the same point all the time, jumping gives you this angle but smashing from the baseline is a last resort even in doubles.

6. notnimdab

notnimdab New Member

I am a very tall player and when i smash i extend my are fully, also your racket should be at a 60 degree angle to the ground theis will help you hit the birdie down instead of flat also you should keep your wrist loose then when you come through you need to thghten it so you get a powerful stroke, another thing i like to do is fake a smash then place a drop shot right over the net good luck

7. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Practice makes perfect. Start with clears. Same motion. Once you can hit the perfect clear, smashing is really easy. Make sure you hit the sweet spot. Same generation of power. (I hope I'm right)

8. altreality

altreality Regular Member

This I wholeheartedly agree...

Unless you can get that kind of height and accuracy, any smash from the baseline is likely to be diffused quite easily... I find it a waste of energy, especially if the opponent does a close net return of your smash - you then have to rush to the front - and probably play a defensive shot...

So smashes are not the be all and end all - a good clear and a simple drop can be far more effective....