INCREDIBLE forearm pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by exalted, Nov 29, 2004.

1. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    I am sorry if this is posted before or anything - but I would like to ask a question - is having INCREDIBLE forearm pain, I've never experienced such a painful soreness doing any other activity "normal" when starting in badminton?

I am trying to grip the racket correctly and I think i am 90% correct - although i know many times pain comes from doing something incorrectly. I don't play that often, and the pain comes from say, 40 minutes of "light" playing with friends, and then it'll stay for at least another hour and it's REALLY intense - I have no problem with soreness but this is just really really bad and I was wondering if there were any things that I could do to alleviate it and more importantly if it was normal or if other users experienced the same issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    It would be good if you posted where exactly in the forearm you feel the pain. Also, what type of motions cause it to feel most painful? What type of a pain would you best characterize it has a sharp pain, a dull pain, or a warm or burning pain?

3. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    Do a search inside the Techniques formu under "General guide line to arm and should injury and prevention" posted by bigredlemon. Hope you can find what you are looking for and get well soon.:p

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The short answer is: "No, incredible pain is not normal when playing badminton".

Pain is a warning. Extreme pain is an urgent warning. You must stop looking in Badminton Forum, and consult a doctor instead.

Do not play again until you have discussed this pain with a doctor.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Gollum is spot on, pain is the bodys way of telling you something is wrong!!

Go see a doctor!!!

6. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Thanks for all the concerns and replies - I will not play badminton until this issue is resolved. Just to try to clairfy things - I don't get this pain anywhere outside of badminton, I'm not really an athletic person but before I started badminton i lifted weights semi-regularly (2 times a week for a short period), the pain is sharp (as in I cannot ignore it when it is there) but I woudlnt' consider it "burning".

Will look into seeing a doctor.

7. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    you have a problem, it shouldnt be so serious. see a doctor.:p

8. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

try holding the raquet further down the grip

rest the side/end of your palm against the bottom of the grip... where its wider on the bottom - this allows a more relaxed swing and more power will less effort - almost like letting go at the end of the swing

but as far as your pain goes i wouldn't even play untill you feel no pain away from playing

oh and if it does hurt, then you should ICE it after you play and perhaps heat it before you play