Importance of Stamina

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdie, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Birdie

Birdie Guest

When I'm fresh and playing against some people I know, I can defeat them just about every single time.

However, while I can play several doubles games in a row without being totally tired, it takes about 2 singles games to drain me out. The same people from above can then defeat me.

I find it quite frustrating to know that technically I'm good but I still lose games due to stamina reasons. I don't like going to the gym but play soccer every now and then.

So what can I do to improve my stamina? Or should I change my style of play (especially in singles since I'm highly offensive minded)?

Thanks!

2. Wedge

Wedge Guest

i have the same problem so here's what i'm goign to do

i run , distance.. about 5 - 10 km .. 3 times a week, dont do this everyday .. take a day off after each run..

running gets you in the best physical condition in the shortest period of time.. provided u do it regularly .. the first time u will feel uncomfortable and you legs will get sore quickly .. after the 2nd and 3rd time out tho it will be easier ..and eventually you will not get sore after a run unless you up the pace / and or distance considerably .. after about 3 weeks you will feel a difference in that it will no longer feel uncomfortable in your breathing .. thas when u can tell that its paying off.

u can also shorten your distance but throw in periods of fast and slow running.. intervals of sprints and slower running

u can also do footwork drills, use a court and practice doing your footwork almost full out for however long u think the rallies will last, it has to get your heartrate up tho or your not working endurance.. just the steps.

u can aslo skip/jump rope ,,, and add in fast and slow skipping,, double jumps and mix it up, put on sum fast music when u do this and skipp to the beat of whatever it is.

and always stretch your legs after for 10 mins or so after this stuff or your muscles will become less flexible and it might slow you down on court ;p

also .. u can play other sports .. perferably soemthing that also requires endurance.. before my badminton season starts i'll be taking classes in TaeKwonDo.. which is also very good for endurance... find something to do when your no playing Badminton that will also benifit your badminton game ;p

thats basically everything i'm doing .. or will be doing before the season starts

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I also have some stamina problems as well. I play mostly singles but now that i'm on my summer break i play lots of doubles and almost no singles. When i tried to switch back to singles it was really hard as the running is much less in doubles.

What i try to do is run more like Wedge suggested, but only 2.4km. I try to do it everyday, but i get lazy. So what i do is do swimming instead, its much more refreshing...... hehehe, and for me, psychologically, its less tiring coz the water feels so nice and cooling..... lol.....

4. jayes

jayes Guest

Yes, as Wedge has eloquently pointed out - long distance running, endurance training when not playing, etc, etc will help your badminton playing.

One aspect that you might want to consider is to improve on your breathing technique when you do your stroke (and also with other activities). I find that with proper breathing technique, I can improve on my stamina. I also find that strong and positive mental attitude also help my stamina (among other things) -- especially in tournaments.

Hope these few tidbits help.

Good luck.

5. Dimo

Dimo Guest

I make a habit of going for a run before playing badminton - I play in the UK at a a large college and run round the entire perimeter and include sprints. This has helped over the last 2 months. For a competition I would restrict myself to jogging so that I don't tire too much in the latter stages. Anyway, running is the best way to increase stamina in my opinion and experience.

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    While having a good aerobic base is very beneficial for stamina, note that, for the most part, badminton is NOT an aerobic activity. Not to say that you shouldn't do those long runs (or other cardio work), but interval training (as well as jumping rope & plyometrics) may very well be even more important for badminton stamina.

Check out previous posts on training. There has been a fair amount of discussion in the past couple weeks.

7. May

May Guest

Running's gud, when u have the time and commitment. Taekwondo's supposed to be gud, not tt my brother thinks tt there's any difference. Do u breathe correctly??? Many other factors, none of which i can name.