After remove overgrip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by cnkan, Nov 30, 2004.

1. cnkan

cnkan New Member

How to remove the holdover on original grip after remove the overgrip ?

2. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't quite get u? Can explain again?
    Do u mean this:

I have afew questions that my friends and I are arguing about with regards to the grip:
    1. Over grip and re-grip are 2 different product designed to be used differently?
    2. never remove the original grip that came with the racket, always wrap over it?
    3. remove the orignal grip, then apply new grip over the wooden handle
    4. Over grip are thin, re-grip are thick like tower grips
    So which is fact and which is fiction?

3. cnkan

cnkan New Member

I mean the waste remained.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In my opinion an overgrip should never be used on a badminton racquet, from a purist's point. You buy a racquet with an idea of what grip size suits you. Some people buy a G5 grip because they want to put on a thicker towel grip, which completely replaces the original grip to achieve a desired size G3 grip. This is understandable and acceptable. If you are happy with say a size G3 grip, you should replace the original grip with a replacement grip and not an overgrip.
    The only situation which makes sense using an overgrip is that you have made a mistake buying a racquet with a grip smaller than what suits you. It is like correcting a fundamental mistake. In all other cases, my advice is never use an overgrip. From a purist point of view, REPLACEMENT GRIP is the way to go. Using an overgrip is plain silly. :p

5. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Why I use overgrips:
    1. More cushioning, can replace easily when it loses its "cushiness"
    2. Cheap to replace: $7 for 3 pieces.
    3. More color choice: I get red strings and red overgrip to match my racket.
    4. Absorbs sweat better.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, in regions that carry wide range of selections, you might get a point.

In US, Yonex only has G4 for all models. And even G4 is a bit too big for me, therefore, i remove the original grip, and wrap overgrip(s) instead. Lucky that I am not in CAN, which only offers G3.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The grip and the strings on a badminton racquet are a maintenance item that require renewal and replacement. Keeping the original grip, which in most modern racquets is of questionable quality, is a hold-out from days of old when what is original must be kept intact. Like the strings, grips must be replaced : using an overgrip is just a band-aid. In the past when a string broke you just replaced the one strand of broken string. Nowadays replacement means exactly that-you replace with a new string completely, not just a single strand.
    The top priority in a grip is friction, much more than cushioning. A replacement grip, if wrapped closely, will provide much better friction, and also better cushioning than an overgrip. An overgrip may be cheaper but its useful service life is much shorter than a replacement grip. It is debatable whether an overgrip absorbes perspiration better. Replacement grips seem to have better ventilation holes and ridges. ;)

8. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I've got that problem too...
    My At800 and Ti-10 came with a G5 - a little too small for me
    Therefore an overgrip is necessary

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You as the customer shouldn't be solving the problem for the manufacturer. Make a fuss with the stores, the distributor, and if that fails, then send a nasty email to Sunrise in Sigapore and Yonex HQ in Tokyo. If they don't offer a choice of weights and grip sizes, bring this up with them. Silence means acceptance.
    :confused:

10. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I guess I could insist etc ..
    Hmm... actually, I didn't think much of it as it doesn't really bother me... I put overgrips on all my rackets anyway and the type of overgrip depends on the grip thickness.. I don't remove the original grips at all (except for rackets I buy off Bfers')...

Also, sometimes the lack of the right size works in my favour when bargaining....:cool:

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's a nice idea - insisting on the right grip size; strike a blow for consumer power, and so on. But realistically, there aren't enough people who care about this. I will be a lone voice in the wilderness, so the racket shops won't change their policies.

Say I want to buy a Yonex MP99. Where am I going to get a G2 grip in the UK? What am I supposed to do? Import, or just not buy the racket at all?

I could probably find a G2 racket on Ebay. But it might be a rubbishy fake too.

#11 Gollum, Dec 1, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as mentioned, there isn't any widely available grip sizes now. even in HK, not all rackets readily comes in all grip sizes. some rackets don't even have supply anymore, i just bought a racket from HK and they only have G5 left and the racket isn't in production anymore.

even if we do complain to Yonex local and Yonex HQ, the process will take a while, meanwhile, the majority of us will have to stick with adjusting our grip size and softness with overgrips.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back to the original topic.

by the wasted remain, you mean the residue that got stuck in the underlying grip?

i suggest you not worry about it. you need to wrap over it with another overgrip anyway, why bother with something that you won't see?