User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default How to prevent injuries in badminton

    Hello, i'm a beginner and i seemed to have injured my shoulder. Whenever i do a smash i feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. What would be the best way to fix it?
    And how should i prevent future injuries like this from occuring? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Could be a whole host of things, please go see a doctor or phisiotherapist.

    The only way to avoid injury in the future is to wrap yourself in cotton wool, if you are playing any sports there is always a chance you can and will get injured.

    The ways to reduce the risk is to do a warmup to prevent muscular injuries and to make sure you use the correct technique and footwork.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ways to reduce injury occurence:

    1.Full warm up (20mins light excercise, stretching-Skipping/jogging etc.)
    2.Correct technique
    3.PLay within yourself (play hard, but for short periods-when you are tired..STOP)

    4.Gentle stretches/light excercise everyday 5-10mins before/after sleep/wake up. (this should keep your muscles ticking over and increase flexibility)


    As for your injury, see a doctor!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you start to feel an injury coming on at any stage, stop playing immediatly. That way you will minimise the time you spend out of the game. Playing on at all just prolongs the injury.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The no.1 reason for injuries among beginners and intermediates is improper technique. You maybe torquing your arms too much to induce power. So, the first thing to do is unlearn what you acquired so far and get a qualified coach to teach you the basic strokes and footworks. After getting a general idea of how you should be moving around the court, practice slowly before increasing to normal speed. I was told that Korean amateurs in training spent hours upons hours just swinging their racquets overhead w/o shuttle. If you wanna get good, be prepared to spent an enormous amount of time to establish the fundamentals.

    Doing some crosstraining would also help balance out your body as some muscles are under-utilised in badminton. Most if not all pros incorporate some form of resistence training in their routines.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    I was told that Korean amateurs in training spent hours upons hours just swinging their racquets overhead w/o shuttle.
    I remember one of Lin Dan's interview, he was talking about the 1st several yrs of training when he was young, he just practiced footwork, and swing rackets, w/o using shuttles at all.

  7. #7
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,149
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    just want to echo what other have said. a common type of injury happens when you are using the wrong technique. i have seen somebody who plays badminton with his arm only. and he swings very hard with it as well. one day in the gym, he arm just gave in. he had to be brought to the hospital with a dislocated shoulder. if he had used the proper techinque, that would never have happened. although this is kind of extreme, it is a complete true story and tells you bad technique can really damage your body.

    the other type of injury is overuse injury. while good technique does help prevent it, if one play a lot of badminton, overuse injury is hard to avoid, all pro players have it. the key to these type of injury is to see a doctor and make sure you rest your injury properly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    As an example, I have recently overused my knees. I feel their pain when I turned in bed!!! Now I have to rest for a week as suggested by the doctor.

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    just want to echo what other have said. a common type of injury happens when you are using the wrong technique. i have seen somebody who plays badminton with his arm only. and he swings very hard with it as well. one day in the gym, he arm just gave in. he had to be brought to the hospital with a dislocated shoulder. if he had used the proper techinque, that would never have happened. although this is kind of extreme, it is a complete true story and tells you bad technique can really damage your body.

    the other type of injury is overuse injury. while good technique does help prevent it, if one play a lot of badminton, overuse injury is hard to avoid, all pro players have it. the key to these type of injury is to see a doctor and make sure you rest your injury properly.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oab729
    Hello, i'm a beginner and i seemed to have injured my shoulder. Whenever i do a smash i feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. What would be the best way to fix it?
    And how should i prevent future injuries like this from occuring? Thanks in advance.
    Not really related to this injury, but to prevent having a tennis elbow later you can do this: take a soft ball (diameter 7 cm or so) and pinch in it. I do this while watching TV or so, so you don't loose any time doing this and I've heard it's effective

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    As an example, I have recently overused my knees. I feel their pain when I turned in bed!!! Now I have to rest for a week as suggested by the doctor.
    I'll go with that, I feel that my knees became sore after putting in more hours trying to get ready for a satellite which I was stuffed out in the first rounds.

    All that pain for no gain, it would be ok if I made the second rounds

    And on that note I'm off out for a game of badminton

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hard to take the baddy out of a hardcore badder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    And on that note I'm off out for a game of badminton

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Hard to take the baddy out of a hardcore badder.

    The level wasn't that good and I'm wary of short sharp direction changes and twisting the knees now, just in case it makes things worse.

    I do have to say that the pain has made virtually no difference in the amount I play (yes I know it's stupid)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My knee hurts most after baddy and the morning after. Strangely enough, just the thought of stepping onto a court makes the pain go away temporarily. Do you play singles or doubles more? I find that it's safer to play doubles when one has bad knees. Probably due to more lateral movement in doubles.

    Also, check out http://www.mattfurey.com I have been doing the guy's bodyweight workout for a week everyday and my knees actually feel stronger. I got his workout tape for lungs and legs on ebay. Sadly not the whole package.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    The level wasn't that good and I'm wary of short sharp direction changes and twisting the knees now, just in case it makes things worse.

    I do have to say that the pain has made virtually no difference in the amount I play (yes I know it's stupid)

Similar Threads

  1. Prevent injuries and improve skills by warming up
    By jajvirta in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 7
    : 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
  2. What exercises best prevent knee injuries?
    By WileECoyote in forum Injuries
    Replies: 5
    : 07-24-2009, 02:33 AM
  3. Badminton injuries and how to prevent them
    By Furre in forum General Forum
    Replies: 2
    : 10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
  4. What exercises best prevent knee injuries?
    By WileECoyote in forum Thomas/Uber Cups 2004
    Replies: 2
    : 05-17-2005, 01:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •