How to prevent injuries in badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by oab729, Dec 2, 2004.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Hello, i'm a beginner and i seemed to have injured my shoulder. Whenever i do a smash i feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. What would be the best way to fix it?
    And how should i prevent future injuries like this from occuring? Thanks in advance.

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Could be a whole host of things, please go see a doctor or phisiotherapist.

The only way to avoid injury in the future is to wrap yourself in cotton wool, if you are playing any sports there is always a chance you can and will get injured.

The ways to reduce the risk is to do a warmup to prevent muscular injuries and to make sure you use the correct technique and footwork.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Ways to reduce injury occurence:

1.Full warm up (20mins light excercise, stretching-Skipping/jogging etc.)
    2.Correct technique
    3.PLay within yourself (play hard, but for short periods-when you are tired..STOP)

4.Gentle stretches/light excercise everyday 5-10mins before/after sleep/wake up. (this should keep your muscles ticking over and increase flexibility)

As for your injury, see a doctor!

4. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

If you start to feel an injury coming on at any stage, stop playing immediatly. That way you will minimise the time you spend out of the game. Playing on at all just prolongs the injury.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The no.1 reason for injuries among beginners and intermediates is improper technique. You maybe torquing your arms too much to induce power. So, the first thing to do is unlearn what you acquired so far and get a qualified coach to teach you the basic strokes and footworks. After getting a general idea of how you should be moving around the court, practice slowly before increasing to normal speed. I was told that Korean amateurs in training spent hours upons hours just swinging their racquets overhead w/o shuttle. If you wanna get good, be prepared to spent an enormous amount of time to establish the fundamentals.

Doing some crosstraining would also help balance out your body as some muscles are under-utilised in badminton. Most if not all pros incorporate some form of resistence training in their routines.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I remember one of Lin Dan's interview, he was talking about the 1st several yrs of training when he was young, he just practiced footwork, and swing rackets, w/o using shuttles at all. ;)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just want to echo what other have said. a common type of injury happens when you are using the wrong technique. i have seen somebody who plays badminton with his arm only. and he swings very hard with it as well. one day in the gym, he arm just gave in. he had to be brought to the hospital with a dislocated shoulder. if he had used the proper techinque, that would never have happened. although this is kind of extreme, it is a complete true story and tells you bad technique can really damage your body.

the other type of injury is overuse injury. while good technique does help prevent it, if one play a lot of badminton, overuse injury is hard to avoid, all pro players have it. the key to these type of injury is to see a doctor and make sure you rest your injury properly.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    As an example, I have recently overused my knees. I feel their pain when I turned in bed!!! Now I have to rest for a week :rolleyes: as suggested by the doctor.

9. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Not really related to this injury, but to prevent having a tennis elbow later you can do this: take a soft ball (diameter 7 cm or so) and pinch in it. I do this while watching TV or so, so you don't loose any time doing this and I've heard it's effective :)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I'll go with that, I feel that my knees became sore after putting in more hours trying to get ready for a satellite which I was stuffed out in the first rounds.

All that pain for no gain, it would be ok if I made the second rounds :rolleyes:

And on that note I'm off out for a game of badminton

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hard to take the baddy out of a hardcore badder:D.

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

The level wasn't that good and I'm wary of short sharp direction changes and twisting the knees now, just in case it makes things worse.

I do have to say that the pain has made virtually no difference in the amount I play (yes I know it's stupid)

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

My knee hurts most after baddy and the morning after. Strangely enough, just the thought of stepping onto a court makes the pain go away temporarily:). Do you play singles or doubles more? I find that it's safer to play doubles when one has bad knees. Probably due to more lateral movement in doubles.

Also, check out http://www.mattfurey.com I have been doing the guy's bodyweight workout for a week everyday and my knees actually feel stronger. I got his workout tape for lungs and legs on ebay. Sadly not the whole package:(.