backhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Dec 2, 2004.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

hi i'm a beginner, i was just wondering how to backhand clear. Or should i avoid this skill and practice my footwork first? thanks in advance

2. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

I think this has been discussed here previously - if you do a search on "backhand" or "backhand clear", you will find loads of valuable information.

I came to realise that I can't hit a backhand clear without good footwork.

3. a3olus

a3olus Regular Member

well...you must understand that to execute a backhand clear, you have to reach the shuttle at a specific position. Hence, footwork is important in this sense. Without proper footwork, you probably won't reach the shuttle in time to catch at the right position for a backhand clear. But the stroke itself requires a strong wrist flick. Your wrist needs to be relaxed as you go into the shot. If not, the shuttle will probably end up only in mid court or in the net...

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

Yes. There are many other threads on the backhand and in particular clearing.

a3olus is quite right though in that the position of where you hit it is very important... many people seem to hit there backhands too close to their body, and cannot hit correctly because of this. It takes time to get the feeling, remember how many forehand clears you have done and compare the two..there should be a correlation somewhere!

5. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

there should be a bold sticky or something on the first page for backhand Clears and actually really help and not just say best backhand is not to use backhand because sometimes you are forced to, no rth possible or even more risky.....

6. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    in my training, my coach taught me the technique, but we really didn't practiced on it very much. He wanted me to get used to 'around the head' shots (which I do almost all the time now...).