Training with Olympic Gold Medalist Tony Gunawan!

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Lefty, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Hi everyone around the San Francisco Bay Area,

Olympic Gold Medalist Tony Gunawan and US National Team member Howard Bach will be coming to the SF Bay Area to conduct a training camp on the weekend of January 15.

Tentatively it will be going on from Friday January 14 to Sunday January 16.

Once we finalize the location on the training camp, I wil provide more update.

Please PM me if you are interested to attend this training camp. We're working to raise money for them to compete in more international tournament and qualify for the 2005 World Championship.

Thank you.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Could you tell us the content of this training camp? Thanks!

3. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Training Camp

Hi everyone,

Currently we are finalizing the location and ways to run the training camp. If you have any suggestion, please feel free to let me know as well.

I will keep everyone updated on this forum. Thank you very much.

4. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    We want your input

Hi everyone,

Now we know that we will have the training camp taking place in San Francisco on 1/15 and 1/16.

We currently plan on having 5 sessions, each session is 2.5 hours. Each session is limited to 8-12 students and we will have Tony and Howard coaching in the same time.

We will try to group student in the similar level and try to get separate singles players and double players so you can learn more about the difference in strategy and techniques.

I want to get everyone's input so we can provide a program that everyone is happy with. Please let me know what you would like to learn in the training camp and what do you expect to gain from the taining camp.

Thank you very much.

Lefty

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lefty, for the benefit of those who are interested, it will be helpful to let them know the exact location as well as cost...

:)

6. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Hi Kwun,

Currently we have only confirmed the gym at San Francisco. It will be close to Japan Town and we will have 4 courts available.

We are looking for additional gym on Friday night and possible the following Monday (Martin Luther King day).

As I get more information, I will post them here.

Regarding cost, we are trying to determining between $50-$75 per session. We want to make sure it is economical yet worthwhile for Tony and Howard to come up here.

I want to let everyone know that all the tuition goes to Tony and Howard, all the people working on this are volunteering their time.

For people who is interested in the training, please let us know what you would like to learn so we can include it in our training program.

Thank you very much!

Lefty

7. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Update Information!

Hi everyone, please see below for detail info regarding the training camp. The location has changed to San Francisco City College. You can also PM me if you have any question regarding the camp. I have also attached the application with this post.

Lefty

Bay Area Badminton Clinic

by

2000 Olympic Men’s Double Gold Medalist Tony Gunawan

and

2004 US Open/Dutch Open Men’s Double Champion Howard Bach

Objective: Introduce “Competitive Badminton†to local players around the Bay Area.

When: January 15th and January 16th 2005

Format: The clinic is divided into three sessions per day for two full days. Each session consists of quality training with 6 to 8 players PER COACH for two and a half hours.

Sat 1/15 Session 1: (10:00am-12:30pm)
    Session 2: (1:00pm-3:30pm)
    Session 3: (4:00pm-6:30pm)

Sun 1/16 Session 1: (10:00am-12:30pm)
    Session 2: (12:45pm-3:15pm)
    Session 3: (3:30pm-6:00pm)

Agenda: The clinic consists of basic Badminton footwork, strokes, shots, tactics and game strategies for the first two hours. The remaining half hour will be used for questions, comments or game play purposes.

Cost: The cost is $65.00 dollars each person per session. Space is limited so please sign up as soon as possible. (No Refunds and No Exceptions)

Shuttlecocks: Complementary shuttlecocks will be provided for those who are signed up for the clinic.

If you have further questions, comments and inquiries regarding this clinic, please don’t hesitate to contact Mr. Joseph Hsu at 415-759-9386 or email us at gunawanbachclinic@yahoo.com

You may mail the completed application and cash or check payment to: P.O. Box 320763, San Francisco, CA 94132. Please make checks payable to: “Howard Bach or Tony Gunawanâ€.

Attached Files:

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lefty, make sure you post some pics of the training session this coming weekend!

9. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Training Camp

Hi Kwun,

I will definitely try to get some picture if I can.

Currently there are still few spots open, I hope more people from this forum will sign up.

Lefty

10. Chrispywu

Chrispywu Regular Member

man i really want to go... i wish it was the next weekend.. i got a ton of finals to study for... -sigh- maybe next time

11. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    How did it go ?

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i was in one of tony's groups.

it wasn't bad, considering 2.5 hours went by fast. got a few good technique tips/pointers/reminders, and footwork moves.

did some drills i'd like to work on more often, but they'll be hard to do regularly due to court time/constraints at the various open play gym's.