Am I too late to become an International level players???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Darma Sucipto, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hey there...Im Darma...I always visit this forum and at first i didnt know how to join the forum. After visiting this forum for about 7 months, finally i can join this forum!!! hahaha....

Anyway guys, i just wanna ask some questions..the story is like this...
    I started training badminton when i was 13 years old and i am now 15. i have been training for 2 years...I am a singles player. many people said i have improved a lot compared to last time. i am now my school's best singles player and my housing area best singles player for my age. well...i still lose to state players. i also go for coaching twice a week but most of the time i train myself everyday. i train my self at least about twice a day (1 time court training and 1 time fitness training) sometimes i even train myself 3 times a day too!!

My question is if i keep training everyday like what i mentioned, do i have the chance to represent my country in the future? i mean i want to represent either indonesia or malaysia for singles. If yes, about how old can i represent my country?

anyone just reply me...i will be very appriciating your answer... thank you!!!

2. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

I think you must make the break at the state level first before you can stand a chance. So, focus on your weaknesses. Analyze your games against state players, that is, what are you lacking when you play against them that make u lose, is it fitness, defence, attack, backhand, strategy,lack of confidence...etc???

. I think ur question better ask a coach to advise since it is the best person who can comment on ur skills. I think more exposure in tournaments will help. i think a good coach will make difference.

If cannot, maybe come to Singapore, represent Singapore then.

Regards

CS

3. Darma Sucipto

Anyway thanks for your advice... i just realize that i am supposed to post this forum in techniques forum..anyway if u guys wanna reply this forum, go to techniques forum. I have posted the same forum there...dun reply here

4. Darma Sucipto

anyway guys sorry...i'm mistaken again.if u all wanna reply to thread in this forum, reply here...

5. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    ah yes you can. just make it an aim. a strong AIm...just make a feel isndie you.
    anyways...make a video of yourself playing, then watch it with a coach or something...then discuss the aspects lacking.....like focus on footwork...in that video...you should nkow what u look like playing anyway:)

best of luck

regards:::
    Furqan.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Get yourself noticed more often by participating in important tournaments. A good talent will always stand out and I am sure there will be a lot of coaches and badminton officials who will take notice. If you have a coach, why don't you discuss this with him and see if he can be of help in your quest to play for your country?

7. Darma Sucipto

Thanks for your guys reply! i will follow your advice!!! hehe:)

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hi Darma, well first of all, I don't think it is too late for you. What you really need to do though, is get more coaching from a reputable coach. A good coach can do a lot in correcting your wrong ways.

From what you've mentioned, it seems to me that you have been spending lots of court time doing footwork, yes? If so, your footwork must be really good already and I suggest taking up more court time in a club doing techniques practice and drilling.

I've tried training to be a professional before, and here's what I can tell you from my experience. There is four factors that makes a complete player:

Technique: Stroke and Footwork
    Fitness: Strength, Agility, Endurance and Speed
    Tactical Play
    Self-Temperament and Concentration (Your psychological self.)

If you'd like to talk a bit more about it, contact me at MSN iwan_jie@hotmail.com or ICQ 78606494

9. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

man i got the same goal as u do...i hope someday i might be able to be the 2nd kendrick lee...lolx

10. Darma Sucipto

Haha okay....anymore replies???

11. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    hey still got me.you have been training for so long do you need to study???there is no time definetely for me to train everday not even twice a day.but how bad can you be.ive only started intensive training when im 14.and im still 14 but definetely making progress.so dont look down on yourself.have more confidence.have more confidence in yourself.like making short term goals of beating that state player and maybe aiming to represent your country in the world junior championship.but you must be really strong then to improve so fast in 2 years.i think i should compare youself and i to spur myself on improving.

12. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

hey ur really lucky...u have a very high chance of becoming an international player because u are in a country were badminton is highly respected unlike us in the United States. So for u if u just keep working hard and believing urself...u will be fine.

13. Darma Sucipto

I am now on holidays....that is why i have so much time to train...and somemore i have finished my national exam and i can relax until next year...about next year..im planing to wake up at 4 am in the morning and train my fitness while in the afternoon i will train in the court...dun worry..i have set some time to study too about 2 hours a day~~~hehe...thanks for your compliment anyway...

14. Darma Sucipto

anyway thanks for your encouragement~~~but the thing is if you are in the country where badminton is highly respected, it doesnt mean you have a bright future in badminton~~hehe:) because country like indonesia have a lot of population and it's seriously not easy to represent the country....and somemore there are a lot of talented players to~~~

I hope you get what i mean.......

15. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    May be go to Canada to compete. They have all kinds of "talent discovery" activities in Alberta, BC.....and follow up with lot of training activities if discovered. Of course you need to train hard first....

16. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ya really i think seriously it should be easier for you dere in the states.there is abundant of talent here to search for.you have read in singapore even ronald susilo was not local born and he had a strong basic training at the duno wad badminton centre in indonesia.that famous place that produce talents like hendrawan and taufik.so its definetely more difficult.

17. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    UK is very good too. Each county has a lot of "talent show" each year. You can even walk into the Badminton Development Office and tell them that you are the talent and you want to start with the Squad after you show your proof.

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would reccomend you stay where you are. If you really want to make it at international level, the best way is in a "Badminton country". Why would you want to come to the UK to become a pro badminton player? Especially in Singles.

1. Get yourself a good...I mean Good coach, who understands you, and knows your goals, and is capable and willing to help you attain them.

2.Do what he says.

15/16 is not too late (although your chances of you reaching No.1 are slim, and reducing daily until you get quality training), but will take a lot of effort and full time dedication to the sport.

19. Average

Average Regular Member

15 isnt late at all, at the rate you're training and the dedication you have towards badminton, reaching your goal may only require a good coach like everyone else have said.

20. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I agree with jamesd20. You should not come to a country where badminton is a very small minority sport. In fact, the Canadian olympic committee here has publicly stated they will cut funding to "chronic underperforming sports such as badminton." Staying where you are, you will have the best chance for top level coaching and progress through the "system".

Be sure to come back to us when you turn pro. We'll get Kwun to make you a forum of your own!