Is Indonesian Really Unfair To Their Players???

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Darma Sucipto, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

Hi there....
    I just heard the Indonesian Badminton association (PBSI) are very unfair to their players...especially chinese..that's why players like mia audina, agus hariyanto, ronald susilo, etc....goes to other country and play. Guys......what do you think?????:eek:

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Candra Wijaya, Eng Hian, Alven Yulianto and Anggun Nugroho are all Chinese. But they still are with PBSI.

Btw what do you mean by unfair ?

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Being called unfair depends on several things:

(i) Unfairness needs to be compared to something that has happened before
    (ii) You need to make sure you have both sides to the story
    (iii) You need to know the truth of the situation, mitigating factors etc.

4. viver

viver Regular Member

Go and read the thread about Coach Fang in this forum. It will give you some insights. ;)

5. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor
    In another thread, I read that the PBSI took 50% of every player's price money. I don't know how other national sports associations arrange these things, but 50% seems excessive. On the other hand, they cover a lot of expenses, like training facilities, trainers, staff, travel, administration and so on. So they have to get the funds from somewhere.

In Holland that would be partly subsidized by the government (so by us taxpayers) and partly by every badminton player who pays an annual membership contribution fee through their club to the association. It's difficult to say if the govt subsidy and players' contributions are enough to keep the associations afloat. But I'm pretty sure that Dutch players get to keep their price money and money received from their sponsorship deals.

In the end, I think that Indonesian players moved to another country for a variety of reasons. Some players moved to another country because they were not good enough to be in the national team and therefore didn't get the resources from the PBSI. Taufik considered moving to Singapore because his trainer went there. And I'm sure that some moved because they felt they were being treated unfairly and could get better financial deals abroad.

6. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    well, anything is possible, but do u really think so? i mean, i am an indonesian(pure,not chinese) but i'll say that chinese indonesians rule:D !(in badminton) and i dont think such thing like unfairness because of racism REALLY exist (i mean it MAY exist, but not like it affects anything to players)

7. Darma Sucipto

the unfair thing that i have heard is discrimination againts chinese....i know this because i live in Indonesia. I heard that indon chinese players for example like lim seiw king have been dicriminated too..the indonesian badminton association have 2 good players that time...1 is lim seiw king which i've mentioned and another 1 is icuk sugiarto. Actually Lim Seiw King is better than Icuk Sugiarto...but because he is chinese, the pbsi put icuk as their main player rather than lim seiw king...thats what i heard~~~~ About Rudy Hartono case it was different because Rudy was very very unbeatable that time...

I hope you all get what i mean....

8. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    thats sad, even tho im not chine indo i feel like thats just not right, but lets just hope that it wont happen again, i wonder wat would happen if PBSI leader is chnese?maybe it all can change, but do you yhink that there will be a new kind of discrimination, i mean pure indo being discriminated:(

9. Darma Sucipto

nah...i believe it wont happen...i believe 1 day the chinese indo's are not going to be discriminated again...lets pray for it! hehe:D

10. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    hoho,yea i dont think that would happen too:D ,do u think that the discrimination is being lessen, or at least going that way?why cant they just do wat they have to do as indonesians,not separated to 2 groups like that, :D , does discrimination also exist among players, i mean do chinese just close to chinese, and indonesian like that too ? cause from wat ive heard it was almost always beetwen player and pbsi and not between players

11. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    The Chinese Indo's are discriminated is not a new thing in Indonesia.
    In all aspects except in sport.

Why ? (in my opinion) Because sport can set Indonesia 'higher' in international level. Also it is a show to the world that Indo's gouverment has no discrimonation in its book.

You can see that many of Indo's atlets are from China origine, especially Badminton.
    Tan Joe Hok, Njo Kim Bie, Lie Po Djian, Tan King Gwan, Darmadi (Wong Pak Soon), Muljadi (Ang Jing Siang), Rudy Hartono (Liang Hai Liang), Liem Swie King, Christian, Ade Chandra, Tjun Tjun, Johan Wahyudi, Imelda Wiguna, Theresia Widiastuti, Rudy Gunawan, Kartono, Rudy Heryanto, Arbi brothers, Alan BK, Ardy BW, Susi Susanti, Elisabeth, Sarwendah, Ratih Komaladewi, Hendrawan, Candra Wijaya, Tony Gunawan, Halim Haryanto, Eng Hian, Limpele, etc..... etc....

And now Simon Santoso, Maria Kristine.

In the past, there were more Chinese Indo's in Indo's team, but now much less. Is it because of discrimonation ? I am sure, the answer is NO. Just coincident. :D

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I agree with you. I am old enough to know about Indonesian badminton from the days of Ferry Sonneville and Tan Joe Hock to the present to categorically say that there was never any discrimination against the Indonesian players of Chinese descent. It is the same with Malaysia.

13. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Susilo came to singapore at 10+(if im not wrong)even before he is a national player...so there no way he will get discrimate...

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If I remember correctly, Liem is older than Sugiarto. Liem started going downhill when Sugiarto emerged as a world class player. So I doubt if placing Sugiarto ahead of Liem can be used as an example of discrimination. Both are legends. It's really hard to compare who is better. :)

15. Darma Sucipto

ohhh...okay...now only i know the truth...thanks to you guys!!

16. viver

viver Regular Member

Sugiarto beat Liem Swie King in World Championships finals in 1983, if not mistaken. I don't know Liem's age but can't say he was old at that time. I think Liem was still playing for Indonesia in 1986 Thomas cup edition.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

It seems 2 possibilities - either you know the facts or the gentlemen in the coach Fang's thread is not telling everything. :confused:

18. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    ok, so ,,wats the answer of the topic:D ,,,unfair or not?

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Just did some research, Liem Swie King was borned in 02/28/1956. Icko Sugiarto was borned in 10/04/1962. Almost seven years difference. :)

20. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

Just food for thought here are some articules written by researchers outside Malaysia and Indonesia that provide a fuller perspective on discrimination and race relations.

The Malaysia article does not explain the situation for badminton players, but does explain a quid pro quo agreement between the races to no longer dicsuss the issues after 1969's turbulent events. However, I can quote a former Malaysian top national doubles player from the 70's in saying that race was a consideration during the Thomas Cup selection process for players, managers and coaches.

As for Indonesia the Sports, Politics and Ethnicity article puts discrimination into context that Badminton Champions enjoyed less discrimination than other ethnic group at large.

Please read these and judge for yourselves.

Derek

A History of Race Relations in Malaysia
    http://salinankarbon.com/info/AHistoryOfRaceRelationInMalaysia.pdf

Sport, Politics, Ethnicity
    http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ASAA/conference/proceedings/Brown-C-ASAA2004.pdf