Delay in serving

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by mpkishor, Dec 6, 2004.

1. mpkishor

mpkishor New Member

:crying: I noticed in a Doubles tournament that the server of a team delayed getting ready for his service so that his partner can get some breath(air) and be ready. It was noticed that the umpire in not keen to hurry him either.

Can anybody help what the other team can do to stop this happening during the game.

Is a team supposed to take consent from the opponents for a break if needed?

The other reason for this question is that may be the umpire is being partial and letting it happen to a sides advantage. In such cases what can the other team do to get a fair decision during the match.

Is there any rule about this?

Kishor

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The rules say that it is a service fault if a player is guilty of flagrant, repeated or persistent offences under the Law of Continuous Play, etc. The Law of Continuous Play says that play shall be continuous from the first service until the match is concluded, except as allowed between the first and second games and between the second and third games. So, if the umpire thinks that the server is holding up the service for an advantage, i.e. to allow time for his partner to get his wind back, the umpire could call it a service fault.

3. lignofix

lignofix Regular Member

fragrance tech
    16.4.1 rule states that : Under no circumstances shall play be delayed to enable a player to recover strength or wind .
    16.4.2 umpire shall be the sole judge of any delay in play.

Umpire has the right to issue a yellow card for warning for misconduct.

4. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

This May sound Cheap, but if i need wind as a Reciever sometime... i'll jus let them serve it and say that im not ready.... its jus a strat that my partner and i uses soemtimes.... like when the oppenet has the tempo of the game, and we're getting sucked into this fast-pace sorta game, then we'lll jus let the bird drop..... i know its kinda against the rules but.... playing rec. its not the Important ^^

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Receiver's tempo

As a receiver you have some control over the tempo of the next point. The shuttle is usually on your side of the net after the previous point. Pick up the shuttle And get yourself settled into position to receive before you return the shuttle to the other team (so that they can start the next point with their serve).

6. Coldie

Coldie Regular Member

What a lame strat...go work out your lungs...quit playing cheap...eventho you win it's a lame win..."i'll jus let them serve it and say that im not ready"...newbie:cool:

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Just pretend you are really upset and whack the bird over the net and right out the back of the court instead of handing it back to them, by the time they have got it and had a chat to each other (they always do about how rude that was) you will have had a nice rest :p

8. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    :eek: You're kidding, right? Where's your sportsmanship?

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Pffffff! You wanna break? Just tell them you wanna piss and head for the washroom:p. That'll give you a good 2-3 minute break:rolleyes:.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

even some of the professionals do stuff like that to have a rest...
    Ng Mee Fen in the 2002 Commonwealth Games was shocking
    Gao Ling will undo and re-tie her shoelaces if the umpire will not allow a break
    and others

11. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Common courtesy

This practice is fairly common & I have no qualms in employing it. I agree that some of the other suggestions proposed in this thread are pretty lame & smack of unsportsmanlike conduct. However, if the serving team has a habit of rushing the start of the point to such an extent that the receiving team is almost, but not quite ready, then the receiving team should, by all means, let the serve drop & indicate that they were not ready.

As a receiver, I am not ready until my racket is up and I have lifted my head to make eye contact with the server. If the server, initiates the serve just as I am lifting my racket or lifting my eyes (to make eye contact), I may let the server know that I was not ready. As a courtesy, the server should not serve until they are sure that both of their opponents are ready. If either of the receiving opponents is not looking at the server or the head of either receiving opponent is still turning to look at the server, then the server should wait to initiate the serve.

This all seems like common courtesy, but I am amazed how much of the time that servers do not wait for the receiving team to be ready... it seems that it happens in badminton more often than it does in tennis in my own experience. Tennis etiquette has the server waiting for the receiver(s) to be ready before delivering a 1st serve. For a 2nd serve, it is the duty of the receivers to be ready... so that the receiver does not delay the delivery of the 2nd serve to such an extent as to break up the rhythm of the server.

#11 SystemicAnomaly, Dec 7, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  12. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Exactly; it's so common practice among amateur players that it almost seems discorteous to complain. I've seen some particularly bad players serve while my doubles partner has his back to the net, walking to his ready position at the back of the court. Often the best thing to do with incorrigible offenders, who don't even appreciate hand-signals indicating that you are not ready, is to walk to your receiving position before returning the shuttle. This is a useful tactic when your opponents are trying to increase the tempo of the game after winning a point or two.
    Although, some of these people will try everything they can to win cheap points. For example, one annoying habit of someone at Dill's club is that the server will assume the posture of someone about to serve, look at his shuffling feet while shifting his weight side to side very quickly, and while the receiver watches bemused at this 8second or so performance, he will serve without warning -and without even lifting his eyes from the floor - in order to catch the receiver off-guard. Fortunately, the guy's serves are so bad that most of the time you can kill them at the net or comfortably smash them :D . But annoying all the same.

13. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

stall tactics

I'm not sure if you're serious but i think it's a good tactic. If you're out of breath after a long rally why lose a point because you didn't take a few extra seconds to stall? At world class tournaments players are frequently allowed towel breaks by the ump and a chance to basically change the bird whenever they feel like it. I'd guess that 60% of the time there's nothing wrong with the bird, but if the opponent refuses to allow a switch the umpire must examine the bird anyway, which takes time and allows one to catch their breath. If the ump refuses a towel break it is not uncommon for a player to suddenly need to tie their shoe or be coincidentally unready for a serve.

In recreational play there is no umpire and it's expensive to change birds as often as the professionals. To equal the time that players spend resting between points at the professional level one would have to tie their shoe a hell of a lot. At a recreational lvl don't stall unless you're having a heart attack because, come on, its boring to spend that much time between points that usually only last a few seconds anyway, and playing a set of games without breaks is good for fitness. At a critical point in a tournament i say it's worth it to stall somewhat. Chances are your opponent is tired too. If not, then you can mess with his rythem. If you happen to be on the receiving end of some stalling when you have momentum and it's aggrevating, stay relaxed and focused and think about how you can tweak your strategy for the next few rallies. If its getting rediculous bring out some wicked trash talk. (Note: Don't try this if you're losing. :rolleyes: ) Maybe they won't stall the next time they need to and you'll take some easy points.

my bad for repeating a lot of this :)

#13 paulchow, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  14. Coldie

Coldie Regular Member

It's pretty obvious that those so called professionals are just some loser like somebody who's talking right now *ahem*. :D Stalling to catch a breath or to think of a strategy. :rolleyes: Damn that's too professional. Maybe they should be called as the Professional Staller. Too expensive to change birdies :rolleyes: (some one needs to go find themself a job)

15. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    That's pretty cold.

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

yeah, Gao Ling's just a big loser :rolleyes:
    And Zhang Jun, he'd never do anything to try to unsettle his opponents...

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Not to mention poor netiquette:rolleyes:. Did coldie just implied that the Olympic Champions for mixed doubles are losers:p?

18. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

In chinese saying..... winner is the king, loser is nothing is applicable to this situation of delay in watever situation during the match as long as not being fault by the umpire. It really depends on the player's values and belief as well as their perception of the sportmanship should be like. In bad terms, it could be consider cheating, non sportmanship of a player but in other way round, who cares as long as the players win the match? Some people perceive this players are "street smart" who simply smart enough to find a way to overcome the in-form opponent. There is many reason why players trying to use the delay method in tournament..... some want to steal a breath, some want to calm down, some want to distract the opponent, some may use it as a psychology strategy to annoy the opponent..... If you notice, almost every professional players from various country know the strategy to delay for watever reason be it asking for a towel break, tying shoe lace, wiping the floor even there is no sweat, changing shuttle even the shuttle is still good..... etc, etc.... and i believe all this is being taught from young by coaches in order to survive in the competitive world of badminton where results is more important than anything else........ be it for the player, coaches, association.... winning is above everything because there is no absolute fairness in the real world.... as for ethical conducts of sportmanship, it may applicable to the theory part....

19. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Use your judgement. If there is $100 or my NS8k on the line, I will consider push the rule a little. If it is $10,000 on the line. Hell yeah, I will stall as long as the ref does not fault me. I will even take a bathroom break if I can.

On the other hand, I play badminton to make friends now. So what if the older guy takes extra 5 sec to recover. I think I have a lot more 5 sec then the older guy has. I don't want to see him get a heart attack and give him CPR...:D

20. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    this is important
    I think this rule should be revamped, not only according to the umpire

a 15-20 second between the rally won (winner or fault) and the shuttle is hit by serving should be sufficient
    this excludes other things like towel breaks, time outs, changing shuttle, mop floor, injuries,

BUT not tying shoe laces

personally I think tying shoe laces should be done in this time range too