Thomas Cup Starting Line ups

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by Byro-Nenium, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Shamefully for me to say, i don't know when the next Thomas Cup is to be held but i would just like to voice my opinions and like to hear some of yours....

In INA's next Thomas Cup i believe that their biggest rivals will be China if not Denmark.

But assuming its China, which i believe its more likely to be, i wonder how the INA's starting line up will be like.

China:

Chen Hong
    Zhang/Zhang
    Either Chen Yu or Xia Xuanze
    ??
    Xiao Hui or Ji Xinpeng??

I think INA should field Rony in 1st singles as he had a very good performance at the Malaysia Open with wins over Gopichand, Hendrawan and Chen Hong. Taufik in 2nd singles to take on the China's no.2. And either Johan or Budi in 3rd singles.

I feel that Taufik should play 2nd singles instead of 1st like he did last year behind Hendrawan. This way INA should be able to end the Thomas Cup defense without having to go into the 2nd doubles and 3rd singles.

Any opinons on this or any opinions on any of the other countries' starting line ups?

thanx

2. Al

Al Guest

The line up in Thomas/Uber Cup is according to the players world ranking. If Taufik ranks higher then Rony, he could not be fielded after Rony. Should they field Rony as 1st singles, then Taufik would have to be dropped.

3. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    It's to prevent teams from purposely throwing away their weaker players in the early rubbers and letting their stronger ones stage a surprise attack in the later ones.

4. Al

Al Guest

Spot on... Where was the story from? Eastern Dynasty, Wu Tzi Hsu or something?

5. happyding

happyding Guest

It's called "Tian JI sai ma" in Chinese proverb. Tian ji is a clever guy and in the horse racing agaist his majesty, although his first class, second class and third class horses are all inferior to the corresponding horses of his majesty, he put his worst agaist the majesty's best, and middle one against the majesty's worst, and best against the majesty's middle one. the, he won 2 out of 3 matches.

6. Al

Al Guest

That's the one. Tks...:)