What do you normally do before you play with a top 5 seeded player in the first round

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SmashingSlash, Dec 7, 2004.

1. SmashingSlash

SmashingSlash Regular Member

Student
    Hey y'all ..i'm an intermediate player and i'm gonna play in a state close tournament in about 2 weeks time...i jus wanna get myself mentally ready if i'm gonna play with a top seeded player in the first round. For the last 3 tournaments i've played ..i've always met top seeded player before the quaterfinals...and i always got nervous playing with them cos i dun wanna lose too early in the tournament cos it's only held once a year and i've been training very hard all year round..and then when i got nervous i dun play my normal game..most of the time doing stupid mistake... are there any tip... how do you all calm yrself down before u play with a player better than u..but u know that u can give him a good fight or even beat him...

2. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

I suggest that you make sure you have some kind of a plan of what you're going to do before you go on court. Come up with a plan and and it'll give you something to focus on, it'll take away from your nerves.

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Seeds don't exist

Just concentrate on you and how you have trained hard for this, nothing else!!

Being seeded just means that the person is "expected" to get to a specific stage in the competition judging by previous results, not their form on the day or the fact that they might have had easy draws, people withdrawing etc.

4. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

Hi there...I suggest if you want to calm your self, just do the breathing exercise. The chinese call it 'chi qong'..I used to do that at least twice a day. that's why i can feel more focus and relax everytime i play a match even in tournaments. It can also increase your stamina if you keep doing it.The breathing exersice is like this...you must breath with your nose only and do not sit on the sofa or whatever its soft. you must sit in a straight position. Its ok to lean but as long as your body is straight. when you breath in, you must breath in very slowly until you cant breath in anymore..and when you breath out, breath out slowly also. you do this continuesly for about 15 minutes. I guarantee you after you do the breathing exersice, you will feel very relax and calm. but you must do at least twice a day..and do it everyday. You can message me if you have any problem..
    Hope this can help.......

5. fan

fan Regular Member

get a good night sleep before the match. :)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You could also say to yourself, the other guy has all the pressure on him because he is expected to win. Remember what happened to Lin Dan at the Olympics. Hot favourite had the pressure and he lost!

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. I am sure you put in a lot of effort to be qualified in the tourny, however, u need to know the higher seed players also put a lot of effort into their own development. They got the higher seeds not because of nothing, but their previous impressive record.

2. When you play them, u should feel "there's nothing to lose". Sometimes, the "underdog" has a much easier life in a match, especially a rubber set type.

3. If you lose, that's no shame about it. You just got beaten by someone who has better skill, better experience, and "suppose to win". What u need to do next is to work harder, and continue with all ur good work, and looking forward to improve urself.

4. On the court, don't think too much like "what if...". Just 1 point at a time. If u win this rally, does not mean u will win all the way. If u lose this rally, does not mean u will never have a chance any more. Try to analyze ur game, play smart, attack his/her weakness, and try for the best.

5. If the skill gap is way too much, no need to get upset. Try to fight hard, and have some fun. Focus on the future training, analyze urself, see what categories u need to put more effort into, and do the best u can.

8. SmashingSlash

SmashingSlash Regular Member

Student
    does listening to music works?what kind of music should i listen to before a match..to calm myself down , or make u feel pump or sumthing..if it works wat kind of music helps..anyway thx for yr replys y'all

9. fan

fan Regular Member

In terms of calming yourself down, chewing gum may also work. A lot of pro sport players chew gums, baseball players like to chew tobacco, before and during the game. If you try, you may want to get rid of it before the game starts. Don’t get choke on. :)

10. RedWeenie

RedWeenie Regular Member

I think listening to music is the best way to get ready for a match... it gets you all pumped up and "in da zone". Fast paced music is the best... personally I like rap/hip-hop.