Match

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by teckwei, Dec 7, 2004.

1. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

HI i am having a badminton match later.... But i wish to seek help from all of ur for ur advice.
    Q1.What should tatics should i play if the opponent is taller than me or shorter than me???
    Q2.What should i do if the opponent smashes is harder than me and he is gaining alot of point beacuse of his smashes???
    Q3.What should i do if my tatics doesn't work on him???
    Q4.What should i do if the opponent is wining me alot of points??

PLz help me thanks!!!

2. WEERADEJ

WEERADEJ Regular Member

sale
    you have to train more and more, and you will understand "HOW TO".:D

3. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

help!

i need more advice....can more experts tell me?

4. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

Hi there... maybe i can help you..
    ok...1st of all, if the opponent is taller than you, maybe you can use v movement tactic, it means you move your opponenet to the front on the left sides, than after that you move him again to the right sides. so your opponent will move like v shape movement. Use the same tactic also when you move your opponent at the back.This tactic is very useful to tall players..

And if the player is shorter than you, you use footwork tactic (thats what i name it:D ). The tactic is like this....1st, you move your opponent to the left rearcourt. but your shot must be until baseline. Then the next shot is you move him to the right frontcourt. This will force your opponent to move fast because the distance is very long and he have short legs. You can also move him to the right rearcourt and move him again to the left frontcourt. Its the same. This tactic is very useful to short players.

2ndly, if your opponent's smash always gain point, dont let him smash. you must play more net shots with him. if you want to move him to the back, you must hit attcking lob or push to the back so that the shuttle is behind him.

3rdly, try and use this tactic first, if it doesnt help, you can add me (sucipto_98@hotmail.com) in msn messnger if you have so we can discuss more about it. if you dun have msn messenger, you can message me here. but try and use my tactic first..

4thly, if your opponent winning you a lot of points already, i think you should be more patient and more focus. dont think that the game is over if he already got alot of points. just play patiently and do not show your anger. if you show your anger, your game will be worse.

That's all i can help you, if u wannna talk to me, add me at msn messenger or contact me...ok chowz~~~~~~~`

5. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

Backhand lob, drop, or smash

Backhand lob, drop, or smash..... The timing sometimes is wrong...I tried alot of backhand smash infront of the net but i juz cannot control....sometimes i miss it or i smash it into the net! So can anyone tell me wat should i do?

6. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    if u are not confident abt your smashes... use defensive strokes instead...try to tire him out.... or dun smash from mid-back court to prevent anymore misses... only smash at the front

7. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    darma sucipto has explained quite well..his tactics are simple and good enough for a beginner or an intermediate to work upon. i hope he brings more variation into his game....like deception etc.

anyways...just for tiring your opponent...read the article at http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/15/35/

focus on the diagram there.

btw sucipto u have read other articles at badminton central?! do read them..some are quite good.

8. viver

viver Regular Member

Just for my curiosity - where is 'hougang'?

9. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Northeastern part of Singapore, thereabouts...

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No tactic is 100% against an opponent so you just have to get used to being able to hit many different types of shot and able to vary your tactics based on how they play.

It comes with experience.

11. viver

viver Regular Member

Thanks for letting me know. :D

12. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

Weakness

and one more question.... how do u find out ur opponent weakness veri fast?

13. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    oh its simple...when you are warming up with him before a match..just do against him various shots...like make him clear from his back hand...or something like this...or make him run around the four corners...make deceptive shots against him...but do remember to try a variety of shots in lesser time to see what shots hes better at...make him smash form his forehand...see how fast it is and can u return it or things like thhis...u just get to know his shots quickly..and what type of shots hes weaker at...for most players it is backhand though..(amateur)

and agian, it comes with experiance..

14. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

pls everyone!! badminton is not so simple :eek: if it is, I'd be world champ by now :D If your opponent is beating you, then he's simply more developed than you, meaning that you need to practice more and learn more from your matches with your coach's aid.

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

correct, it is not a simple game at any level(aprt from picnic badminton). It takes many years to fully get coordination and mental imprinting of footwork patterns/strokework. And until this stage, I believe tactics are of a lesser importance. If you can hit each shot you play into a corner (right in the corner) and have the footwork to move to any corner from your opponents shot, then tactics become important, until however they are of secondary importance.

And remember the better the player you become, the harder you have to work to maintain that level, and even harder to improve it. It is not easy. Even once you have your techniques sorted, then the really hard work has just begun.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

Bingo. Totally agree with you on this. What's the point of talking tactics when say, you always get a weak reply just attacking the backhand. ;)

17. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

backhand

i have one question to ask u all...when during training, my backhand works well but during match my backhand juz seems off...can anyone help me? give me some advice or give me some links to backhand stroke or something like that...thanks

18. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Often, shorter players like to hit drives. I try never to get in a 'drive war' with a shorter player. Taller players mover often cover the court with more ease, but amy have more problems if you jam them. Drives can be one way to jam them. Smashing at their racket arm or at their feet might be effective... it depends on the player. Against a shorter player, you might want to smash away from their body instead.

If your opponent has a killer smash or a very effective smash, then don't allow them to use it very often. Clears should be hit very deep to minimize the effectiveness of a powerful smash. Try to hit attacking clears (instead of high clears) to minimize the time that your opponent has to set up for their smash.

If your strategy isn't working, try something else. Try to make your opponent change directions (from the direction that they are moving) as much as possible. Try to probe for weaknesses. Most players have a weak backhand... try to exploit that.

Don't hit high clears to the backhand corner. An attacking clear to the backhand may prevent them from hitting the 'round the head shot. On the other hand, if they do hit the 'round the head shot from the extreme back corner, then follow it up by hitting a quick (not too high) shot deep to the forehand.

#18 SystemicAnomaly, Feb 5, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  19. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    footwork (chasse) & backhand grips

In paractice, more of those backhands might be more in front of you (between you and the net). I suspect that during the match, shots hit to your backahnd are probably hit deeper so that they start to get past you.

Try to get yourself behind the shot as much as possible for backhands during a match... take your first step diagonally backwards & then use a side-step chasse to keep the shuttle in front of you if at all possible.

If you contact your backhand well out in front of you, then you can employ the thumb-up-the-back grip for solid shots. However, if the shuttle gets the the side of you (or starts to get behind you), then you will have to change your grip. The panhandle grip or other similar grip may work very well for many of these cases (where the shuttle is not in front of you).