train wrist or arm power

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by Cengsc, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Hi Thomas,

Not sure if this question had been asked.
    Anyway, can you help to answer my following question.
    How do you train yr wrist or arm to become more stronger power?
    i always see the TV in any competition, yr arm and wrist power is very strong.
    Just eager to know.
    thks a lot.

ceng

2. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I would be interested to hear this.

3. lee728

lee728 Regular Member

student
    im interest too

4. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hey Guys

About the strengt in my arm or any other arm, it is very important to do weight training with heavy weigths for your arm. You have to train your wrist and the whole arm also the shoulder wich also provides power to you lower arm. It is also important to train with a heavy racket/squashracket so the arm really gets tired and same time stronger. It is always funny to train with a heavy racket and then just afterwards train with the normal racket, then it is so light and you fel great power in your shots.

Try it out.....

Thomas

5. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    oO..yeah currently im doing that too !!! I followed my coach's instruction, btw thomas, is tennis racket ok to train ur wrist power and arm power??? LIke shuttle drills hitting the wall, is it ok to use tennis racket??

6. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi ZhiWeiZ

I would not prefer a Tennisracket because you wont get the same movement in your arm because it is to heavy. You have to workout with the same movement as you would with a badmintonracket, or else you wont get the power in the right movement.

Its like if you only play doubles and suddenly play a singlematch your muscles will get very saw/tired (hope "saw" is the right word) because your muscles are not used to the specific movements.

Thomas

7. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    I get ur meaning, cuz like ur used in playing doubles and the specific movements, then when u play singles, u have to cover the whole court and u have to put in more effort to go for the shuttle, same goes for the tennis racket, i sorta understand already, so i shud go for a squash racket....thx thomas !!!

Is it hard to be a national player btw??? What sorta physical exercises and training u all do normally???:confused:

8. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

To ZhiWeiZ

Yes it is really hard to be a full time player, but it is also a lot of fun. I love doing what i love the most in the wolrd, and that is to play badminton. No matter how hard the trining is i always find the positive in every moment, and that is what the life is all about. We have to be 100 % focused on everything we do in our life, because on this level it is the small things in life that counts. Example: One little wrong mental thought on the court can lose the game for you, so you have to be sharp in every little thing, ALL THE TIME!!!

Thomas

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hay Laybourn, glad to know you on this forum.... i like your style of play expecially when you dive....sorry if this question had been asked before, may i ask you do you train dive during training and which part of our body to train diving...
    hope you can answer my question...thanks

#9 george@chongwei, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  10. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Thank you thomas !!!
    I do enjoy too !!! My wish is to become a national player, but im already 17, will i still be able to make it, and im currently a school level player...
    I hope u can give me some advice...
    thank you !!

11. Jaireh

Jaireh Regular Member

None
    as what I saw on spots unlimited, before the game, they raise their arm holding the racket then moving it to and fro very quickly. they do it for a while. this makes your wrist loose. I have done this and this really helps.
    also what Thomas said that you can do weights as your arm training is good too. when i lift weights, the arm power is increased.

#11 Jaireh, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  12. xdragoon

xdragoon Regular Member

Firstly, the wrist it self does not have muscles to train. If you would like to train the muscles that move them then train your forearm, but this is limiting as the forearm is not very strong of a muscle. If you train your entire arm shoulder, triceps, biceps, AND forearm you will see amazing results.

To produce power of pros arm rotation is required not just wrist power. Fix your technique first and you will see even faster results. Weight training is for intermediate-advanced players looking for a way to get their game to advanced levels. If you play with correct technique you naturally train the correct muscles, thus increasing your power 10 fold.

Example I have encountered - I met a player who found fault in everything other than his technique. He said, "I'm too weak and skinny, that is why I can't produce power." He then came up with the idea that "My racket is not producing power so I need a better racket." He buys a 200$ racket, his accuracy and power decreases as he does not know his new racket and more expensive rackets are made for pros with much higher sweet spot hitting percent and good form. Then I decide to teach him how to actually smash and help fix his smashes - he had amazing power and had to get used to controlling it but now his game has completely changed(this took a matter of 30 mins).

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    So its not right to use Squash racquet to hit with shuttles?

cause it might hurt ur stroke? Should I just use the heavier racquet to do shadow?

14. chriz

chriz Regular Member

Student
    i personally use wrist ball, or maybe called the "PowerBall" i think it is around 15-20 dollars. it helps to build wrist muscle and makes you able to endure longer. of course trainning your whole arm would be very effective. however, if ur wrist is very strong, you can do Lee Chong Wei's Flick Smash. which is more dangerous than a smash, because it is a very quick movement and it is very hard for your opponent to predict. hope that helps!!!

Chriz

15. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    Hi chriz, i am very interested on the method u use on training ur wrist/arm.

But i have nvr heard of wrist ball. Can u show some pictures or link on wrist ball? So that, i can try to find it out on local shop.

Thxx

16. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

It looks something like this...

Attached Files:

17. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

Another view...

Attached Files:

18. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the picture. This is the first time i see wrist ball. :)

May i know where i can find this in malaysia or in jb :confused:

19. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

It should be available at most of the sports shop. Do ask the staff for power ball... The longer you play with the power ball, the faster it spins.. and the tighter and heavier you'll feel at your wrist..

Happy shopping :)

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i never know u like to play with balls! Anyway good way to increase power while having Fun!