How To Improve Faster???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Darma Sucipto, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

Hi guys..
    I just want to ask how can i improve faster in my singles game other than having a coach. I am willing to spend most of my time training. Can any of you guys give suggestion on what to do in order to improve faster?

2. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Joint a good club maybe Nusa Mahsuri or you may train under Han Jian and enter as many tournament as you can. Make sure you do a post morterm after each game / tournement.

Just my 2 cents advise

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Playing 3 to 6 times per week would certainly help. This should include a lot of drills as well as actual play. Drills should include a lot of footwork practice as well as a lot of 2 corner & 3 corner drills.

How is your stamina? It is good to have a solid aerobic base. However, since much/most of badminton is anaerobic, interval training is very important. The combination of fitness & footwork can do wonders for your singles game.

4. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    You should really practice your footsteps when you were at home so you can get the hang of it

5. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    haha i was in your position about 4 months ago and since then i've been playing about 4 times a week (10 hours) and using 1 of those days just doing drills. its good to start with the basic things such as drop shots and foot work before you go on to smashes... doing that i reckon you would see a lot of improvement as i have seen a dramatic change in my game :)

6. Darma Sucipto

haha okay...actually i practice on the court 6 times a week...;)

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A wise friend once told me...

If you're 16 or older, start incorporating weight resistence into your training routine. Practice more, play less but try to make quality shots in your games. Go 100% when you do play... regardless of opposition calibre. If you have qualms about smashing newbies, focus on shot placement and play a running game to improve on your recovery and strategy. As soon as you established reasonably sound fundamentals, keep up the intensity of training sessions by hitting harder and moving faster all the time. That way you'll find it easier to go 100% in actual games.

8. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    There were/are many kinds of traditional trainings which I have done in Indonesia (when I was young, ofcouse. :D ).
    One of the trainings is very simple.
    Bind a sandbag round you ankels, wear a weight jacket and do practice your footwork.

9. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    oh man.....can u get a video of ur self made when ur playing? see it and spot mistakes.....for example if u couldnt reach a shot..try..erm what reason would be..footwork..err

sorry man..im a lil sleepy....i dont honestly think it would help...i understand that u cant get any couch..so..to..erm train faster..........maybe..u can..err...be more specific? like practise footwork drills for whole two weeks..with no other drills involved...
    then practise some other thing for some time..with only that tihng in your mind and in practise...

10. Werus

Werus Regular Member

practicing with better players than u would certainly help

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    having a good coach will help you improve much faster than what you are able to do on your own.

12. Werus

Werus Regular Member

i don't think that he wants to have a coach... he's self-determined... that's a good thing

13. Darma Sucipto

no, you all misunderstood. Actually i already have a coach and i am now looking for another coach. i love coaching session actually. i just wanna know what can you do to improve if it is not during coaching session...

14. Werus

Werus Regular Member

the best thing is to hit to the wall and try to do this continuously...IMO

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Darma,

Then you should have make it clearer in the first place. I think most of us made the basic assumption that you weren't able to afford a coach since you're a student.

In your situation, practice practice and more practice. Since you have a decent coach, the form you practice will be the proper one. Also, be mindful to have proper breaks in training. Muscles build up when they're at rest.

16. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    I strongly agree with cappy. Without a well defined question, a lot of time will be wasted on clarification. People got vey tired in the stage of just making clear of the questions without the time and resources to help solving.

Hope you will give the best background and clearer Qs next time and the next day a lot of enthusiastic members will share their experiences with you pointing to the hard core of the questions.

Happy training.

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Why don't you ask your coach this question since he/she will know your game better than us :confused:

As far as I have encountered coaches give good honest critical advice when asked!

18. fan

fan Regular Member

Improve faster, all we want but it is the sound fundamentals that get you to the next level.

This applies to any sports at any level, IMO. What and how?
    Do you know what you need to improve, work on?
    Then find a way to improve it.

A good coach should be able to do the both, precisely and effectively.

#18 fan, Dec 13, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Singles is great.

Here are a few things that I did that you can try.

1. Video tape your badminton sessions with the coach. Sometimes you can pick out your errors more clearly on review.

2. Take a notebook and write down important things that the coach says to you be it a technique, or a tactic.

3. Watch videos of singles players. Watch men's and ladies singles. Analyse thier tactics - does what your coach teach you about tactics occur in teh match?

4. Play in tournaments. When you lose, try to write think where you lost the points. Take the ideas back to your coach. People should learn more after losing. When winning matches, you cannot learn as much.

5. Work out your own style of play. Are you a fast player, power player, runner, defensive? You can adjust your game tactics and strokes to suit your style of play.

6. Learn to be a thinker on court! Spot the playing patterns of the opponent during the match. It's a hard skill to pick up but if you can do it, that will help you win an immense number of points.

20. Werus

Werus Regular Member

how do u find the weakness of ur opponent? it's hard for me to spot it out