Why Am I Sweating A Lot And How To prevent It???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Darma Sucipto, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

Hi There...
    I have a problem. I always sweat a lot when im playing badminton. But I am thin!!!! I dont understand why am i sweating a lot eventhough I am thin??? Even I sweat until my grip and my shorts are very wet already:crying: ..just wanna ask you guys how to prevent this problem???

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

unfortunate to say, but sweating is largely a biological factor. the sweat glands in people play a partial role in how much you secrete, and the rest of it is up to how your body consumes and expells energy.
    and like all energy conversions, energy is wasted as heat, and that will also play a role.

so... in short, blame your parents. ;)

ask your parents or siblings if they feel they sweat more than they want to.
    i'm guessing they might reply to you with a "yes".

however, i don't think you suffer from the condition they call "hyperhidrosis", as it occurs in a very very very very small percentage of the population. so its nothing to go to the doctor about.

what you can do about it, is work out more, and i guess, technique and footwork?
    if your body is in awesome fit and form, you would require less energy and effort to play, reducing the amount of stress on your body, resulting is less sweat!
    i think. :D

#2 chickenpoodle, Dec 9, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

if i say: i belong to that 'fat' category and yet barely sweat :D... you're bound to think then that there is some correlation between the two. :D :D but there isn't. what made you think so? ? !! i don't know of any way to prevent those excessive sweat... if i were you, i'd be thankful!!! HERE i am trying to burn all those calories.. :( :crying: :( but if you were to blame any[one] it's your hyper-active sweat glands! :D

4. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

I also sweat a lot, and looked it up on the net and found a condition called hyperhidrosis, I think. (I think it's also related to high blood pressure)

I don't want to self diagnose, but I don't think I suffer from this - I just sweat a lot.
    I started wearing climalite or climacool material which dries very quickly, and it has made playing badminton a lot more comfortable.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Climacool = Coolmax = Dri-fit?

I heard that it makes little difference if the person sweats too much. The wickering material would be too drenched to get rid of the moisture fast enough:(. Might as well have a change of clothes.

6. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Yes, it can't cope if you soak it, but when I wear normal cotton shirts, I get big sweat rings under my arms , and big "V's" in the front and back(going almost to the bottom of the shirt)
    With this climacool stuff, if I play social, I don't get any sweat accumulation. If I play intensively for about an hour, I get a sweat patch down the front. It's not perfect, but a lot more comfortable.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, seems that Coolmax material is becoming more common for athletic wear. I think a few months from now, the price will drop so much that we could all afford to get coolmax shirts by the dozen:). Thus far, all my coolmax shirts cost at least $15 and above... still a long way from the price of a cotton T-shirt:(.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Darma,

Do you play intense all the time? Cuz only once where I managed to drench my Tees to the point where I could wring it and sweat starts flowing like a faucet. No matter how much or how hard I play now, it doesn't happen to me anymore. That's way before I started wearing Coolmax shirts regularly. What's your level of play?

For perspiration control, you should bring a huge thick towel with you to wipe off... like what the pros usually do during a break between points. Bring a spare change of clothes with you. Coolmax shirts could help your conditions too, but if you sweat too much... might as well save money and buy more regular T-shirts:D.

9. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Sweat! Purely biological basic instinct. Most importance thing is whether you smell or not. Might consider using deodorant. Bring a few extra T-shirts and shorts.

When I watched International Tennis Competition, I often saw the players carry a few extra-Ts.

10. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    i sweat a lot to, only after my game not during my game. :p

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I sweat a ton too. I can wring my headbands/shirts after I play at an intense level for an hour or so. I heard that the more you sweat the better shape your in... not so sure thats true, but its what I've been told. Also my left hand gets cold sometimes while im playing... dunno what thats about, seems to happen if I haven't been keeping myself well nourished.

12. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Its all in the style of play.. When I play doubles I rarely sweat but I do notice my partner is sweating like mad. Maybe I cover too little court :) He seems to be in better shape than I am but I like to think I have more efficient footwork.

Sweating is your body's natural mechanism to cool down as your body temperature rises too high. There isnt much you can do to prevent it except slow down and improve your footwork or develop better shots so you make yoru opponent run and you just stay in one spot hehe. One more way is wear the short badminton shorts..... :)

13. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Sweating - body temperature correlation

I am also one of the players sweating a lot and there is no problem with my fitness. I was always wondering wheather excessive sweating can have something common with average body temperature. My avg temperature is below 35.5. Once I have over 36 I do not feel well at all. Question for other sweaters - what is your avg body temperature? Maybe we will find some correlation and help medical science to develop...

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

That's also the case for my non-racquet hand (right). Am I correct in assuming that you're a righty and it's your non-racquet hand that went cold as well? I have never notice that until a few months back when after a game my opponents were commenting on it after shaking my hand. My non-racquet hand's pretty active as a counterbalance so don't know what caused it:confused:.

#14 cappy75, Dec 21, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  15. chickenpoodle

i believe it would be due to poor circulation...

16. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I sweat a lot. I don't see a problem. i think it's good. You will feel great after you sweat. I think many people go to a sauna to have that feeling.

17. chickenpoodle

i just noticed my non-racquet hand was also relatively cold... and i've come to the conclusion that its not the rediculous notion of poor circulation that i mentioned earlier.
    your body is more active with your racquet hand, so your body will naturally put more blood in your active arm, so more for the left hand, means less for your right hand!
    less blood = colder!

18. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    same here, thin but i sweat heavily. i normally change shirts twice in 4 hours of playing and waiting. the used shirts are always drenched, i can wring them of sweat.

it doesnt bother me much tho, sure i look like i just stepped off a shower after each game but i feel damn good. :D

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    another point

Another point to mention is that there have been a number of studies showing that athletes actually sweat more when they get more fit and get better stamina. So generally speaking You will sweat more the more trained you are!!

Of course, as mentioned the amount of sweating is different from person to person, but a person that starts intense training generally will start sweating more once his fitness level rises.

And of course you can't say that a person is fittter because he breaks more sweat :). It would only be likely that he would start sweating more not less when getting into better shape.

Cheers,
    Twobeer

20. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well i do the same moslty around 4-5 hours of play but i wear larger shirts this way it doesent get soaked as fast. but thats why i hardly wear tight shirts to play, if i were to wear a tight shirt and play in it would probally be soaked in less than 1hour its weird though i mean i sweat so much but its not like im getting tired or anything cause most ppl sweat when they are having a good workout right, it actually does make me feel better playing like that and its rather interesting when your opponent thinks that their wearing you down cause your sweating to much little do they know it is not the case.