User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the time , the way we predict the shuttle is out by experience and the way we see how the shuttle was hit. Besides that another indication is our footwork. If we play or practice regularly on the court. We can slightly judge where the shuttle will drop. For example i know that by my footwork i may need to take 2 to 3 steps to reach the baseline at the back. And by the time the shuttle takes flight from the opposition, with the certain height and angle of flight when i look up , i can roughly judge if the shuttle is out or not. ( is this case baseline shots ). If for drives , it will take other kind of experience by looking at the power and flight of the shuttles. Some can already know that the shuttle is out even when they stand in the middle court by just looking at the shuttle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it makes sense. If it takes 3 steps to reach the base line, after 2 steps, and probably I can tell whether I can reach the bird or not. And how dumb I was still trying to hit the bird after 4 or more steps. Thanks for your tips.
    Last edited by Qidong; 12-12-2004 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not that good in this aspect, but I do know I can use my height as a marker. If the shuttle is still flying in a 'normal' straight path (drive) over me on the same level of my ear or higher and I am standing at the middle of the court or further back, it's almost always out.

And if it's a lob, I'd normally move and plant both feet on the front and back baseline and do a quick estimation; if I think it'll fall on my shoulder, perhaps it's gonna be out. In this case I use the rule, 'if in doubt, return'.

One good example of this will be Halim Haryanto doing it in AE2001 Finals vs Candra/Sigit. He moved back, looked up, down then up, then let it fall. It was out by about an inch! I have since done it this way with some measure of success (and some costly miscalculations...).

As for receiving serves in double since I didn't read about this thread being only for lobs to the baseline, a friend once gave me hints that from where you stand to receive it, if you need to overstretch yourself out of normal to get it, it's almost always short. This applies however, to those who don't rush the to the net. I do.

I agree with all here - experience + mental judgement. I have seen Ha Tae Kwon do this a few times in the Olympic SF game vs Sang/Zheng; he just ran backwards and it's out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was told to look for markers at the ceiling, say a pillar, lamp or something.

ie, if a lamp is located at a level approximate the baseline, you will be quite certian that it is out when the bird passed the lamp.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamen
    i was told to look for markers at the ceiling, say a pillar, lamp or something.

ie, if a lamp is located at a level approximate the baseline, you will be quite certian that it is out when the bird passed the lamp.

Hope this helps!
    This may be a good idea as well. However it may be applicable if we are really used to playing in that hall. But its always better to rely on experience and instinct rather than markers. But hey.. if those markers can save me few points.. why not use them as well as part of the learning experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charzord
    My coach teaches the three step rule (the rule that says you should reach any part of the court with only 3 steps). For back court shots, he says that if your are standing in the middle of the court, you do two steps back and a hop and you still cant hit the birdie, it is out. If you are at the fron of the court and you have to do more than three steps and a hop, it is also out. Sidelines, im not too sure , pure experience

Yup, agree with this, plus experince during games and practice. Also when practicing clears.. when you feel the ball is out, don't return the shot, this helps to aovid the habit of hitting the ball when it is out..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

On a lighter note... I wonder if the pros secretly blow air at the shuttle to make it fall out!! LOL!!! With their lung power it would be about an inch out ... c",)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pball
    On a lighter note... I wonder if the pros secretly blow air at the shuttle to make it fall out!! LOL!!! With their lung power it would be about an inch out ... c",)
    Hahah.. thats not allowed! Its illegal. Even if you are trying to blow the shuttle over the net while doing netplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    This may be a good idea as well. However it may be applicable if we are really used to playing in that hall. But its always better to rely on experience and instinct rather than markers. But hey.. if those markers can save me few points.. why not use them as well as part of the learning experience.
    I now make an effort to look at the ceiling whenever i play at a new location. Most of the time, people will give me a stange look thinking that i am mad.

Agree that the best is still to rely on experience and instinct. Also, relying on markers is only applicable to lob or high clear and could not be used for drive or smash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Idea. I think will work. Before starting a game, go to the 2 base lines, look up to the ceiling trying to find something in the ceiling as my own markers. Something I can try also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also look at how high the birdie is from the ceiling... that way it helps as well..

just know how high and how far the bird will go... practice that with a friend of a coach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2