Shuttlecock speed

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by pelican, Dec 9, 2004.

1. pelican

pelican Regular Member

hi

i recently bought and used aeroplane shuttlecock (red label) for the company's game. Some commented that the shuttlecocks seems to be slower. i asked some shop owners and players, they said that the faster shuttlecocks are for students who weaker. is this true?

regards

2. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

Actually it is the opposite, faster shuttlecocks is more for tournament play while slower shuttlecocks are for practice because it is easier to hit. Take for example RSL tourney 7, it flies very slow, making it ideal for beginners learning to hit the shuttle.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A range of shuttle speeds are manufactured to suit different playing conditions. A shuttle will fly at different speeds depending on the temperature and humidity, so that players in Malaysia will typically have to use slower shuttles than players in Canada. Even in the same climate, different venues may require different shuttles.

You can also, of course, deliberately choose a slower or faster shuttle, but I think this is normally a bad idea.

4. Melvyn

Melvyn Regular Member

Professional Coach
    Hi roquejo & pelican,

I think both have your point.

"Slower shuttlecocks are easier to hit and faster shuttlecocks are for whose weaker player"

Depend on room temperature, air density, etc... Different speed of shuttlecocks will be tested by the Referee to select a correct speed shuttlecocks used during tournament.

You can refer to LOB 3.1 & 3.2, Testing A Shuttle For Speed.

Melvyn

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even the same model of shuttles, u should check the speed before purchase. For aeroplane, I believe they use the "48/49/50" system. If you think the shuttle is too slow in ur gym, then, purchase the ones with higher # next time.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    given the climate and altitude of the court, there should only be one speed in which the shuttle travels. that speed should allow you to hit an underhand from baseline and lands on the doubles baseline on the other end.

there are variations in speed of the shuttle because of the climate and temperature change, and not because of whether one is beginner or not.

here is the official law:

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Do you know I can hit forehand and backhand clears baseline to baseline and corner to corner but have never once been able to hit the same shuttle the full required distance for testing, they seem to land well short :confused:

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You have a point there. I understand the factories in China that make the shuttles grade shuttle speed by actually testing each and every shuttle with a machine. I was told that testing the shuttle the required distance requires skill and technique. In some shuttle factories, the best tournament grades are also hand tested to fall within the required distance.
    I am surprised you have never been able to hit the shuttle the required distance. I do shuttle testing sometimes. Although most of the time I couldn't reach the distance, I do sometimes hit the shuttle to land between the two markers, although it is more often closer to the nearer marker.

9. Pball

Pball Regular Member

confused??

Guys pardon the ignorance.. but am confused with the wording of 3.2.

"A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530mm and not more than 990mm short (?) of the other back boundary line"

... so the shuttle should not land shorter than 530 mm and also not shorter than 990 mm? Am a bit confused. How can their be two minimum distances...??

thanks in advance.

10. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    In plain English, it should land between 530mm and 990mm short of the back boundary line. If it lands less than 530mm to the baseline, then it is too fast. If it lands more then 990mm from the baseline, then it is too slow. Anywhere in between those two values is acceptable speed.

11. Pball

Pball Regular Member

tHANKS Annab...