User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stringing Advice

Need some opinions/advice from some other stringers on this forum.
    My problem is that my string jobs feels about 2lbs looser then ones from more competent stringers (Mark A) and shops.

I've got the cheapest Pro's Pro Dropweight machine and one of the first things I did was to measure the tension using weighing scales. This resulted in me to ignoring the markings on the machine and pulling 1kg less (~2lbs).

So how am I'm losing 2 lbs?

My clamps do move when I've clamped a string, which I thought was eliminated on the next pull. Base clamps don't move.
    I push the clamps towards the direction of the pull to minimise movement, but sometimes it still moves.

I use Pro or Parnell knot (not sure which...), to tighten knots.

I'm a pretty slow stringer, it takes me about 70 mins on a normal run. I don't string often enough to improve.

Questions I have:
    Do I trust the weighing scales?
    Do I string 2lbs more to recreate other people's tension?
    Is the difference due to the dropweight?

Any suggestions is helpful!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a dropweight machine and I think I might be able to offer some insight. Unless the tension is pretty high (>26), I never really doubted my clamps. Lots of electric puller machines offer pre-stretching. This pulls and extends the string beforehand so the string stretches less after the stringjob.

Really, the most you can do with a dropweight machine is 1) waiting for the string to settle more after it has been pulled or 2) tension twice, clamping the second time

I hope this helps

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Rimano, I also use a dropweight machine and have done about 150 rackets in about 2 years. I only string for friends and myself so am no way as experienced as many pros here but PinkDawg gives good tips which I also employ.

I have digital fishing scales which I used to calibrate my machine and check it often to make sure it is reading as it should. I also made my own scale which I found to be more accurate. I found my earlier string jobs to be poor and I used to practice on low end rackets which I didn't mind if I made a mistake. My early string jobs were poor and the tension was off, due to not bad technique. My time was also on par with your, it used to take me about 60-90 minutes to string rackets as I wanted to go slowly but accurately. I use flying Yonex flying clamps and they work well for me.

With practice you will get faster. Kwun and Mark A have some excellent Youtube videos that helped me when I was learning and there are others out there to. Stick with it.

Now it takes me 30-45 minutes to string a racket from start to finish, which isn't bad for a dropweight.

Good luck!

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll see about doing another video while we're at the All England... my last one was two machines ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my stringing machine for almost 2 years now, so I think it's time for me to admit I'm just slow.

I have done a sub 50 minute job before, but that was only when I had 5 to 6 rackets in a 2 week period. At most, I only get 2 to 3 rackets a month, probably because I play at small social clubs.

I'm already tension the string longer, since I weave the next hole whilst it's being tensioned.

I might do a double pull and see what the string frequency is. My last string job was ZM65 @26lbs and the frequency was 1136.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I'll see about doing another video while we're at the All England... my last one was two machines ago.
    I will say hi if I see you there

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

to the OP.

what weight scale do you use?

when you compare, you need to make sure you compare fresh unused racket. as the first couple of times a new stringjob is used, 2lbs are lost.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rimano View Post
    I might do a double pull and see what the string frequency is. My last string job was ZM65 @26lbs and the frequency was 1136.
    that's not too bad. maybe at most 1lb off.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvincibleAjay View Post
    With practice you will get faster. Kwun and Mark A have some excellent Youtube videos that helped me when I was learning and there are others out there to. Stick with it.

Now it takes me 30-45 minutes to string a racket from start to finish, which isn't bad for a dropweight.
    30mins on drop weight is not bad.

just about more practice and also analyzing your flow to look for places where you can do two things at the same time and look for ways to reduce work. eg. holding onto string ends instead of dropping on the floor. weave while the machine is tensioning.

or just move to a electronic, nowadays with electronic, anything slower than 20mins is considered a bad day. :P

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some opinions/advice from some other stringers on this forum.
    My problem is that my string jobs feels about 2lbs looser then ones from more competent stringers (Mark A) and shops.

I've got the cheapest Pro's Pro Dropweight machine and one of the first things I did was to measure the tension using weighing scales. This resulted in me to ignoring the markings on the machine and pulling 1kg less (~2lbs).

So how am I'm losing 2 lbs?

My clamps do move when I've clamped a string, which I thought was eliminated on the next pull. Base clamps don't move.
    I push the clamps towards the direction of the pull to minimise movement, but sometimes it still moves.

I use Pro or Parnell knot (not sure which...), to tighten knots.

I'm a pretty slow stringer, it takes me about 70 mins on a normal run. I don't string often enough to improve.

Questions I have:
    Do I trust the weighing scales?
    Do I string 2lbs more to recreate other people's tension?
    Is the difference due to the dropweight?

Any suggestions is helpful!
    Try presretch - doorknob method.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    30mins on drop weight is not bad.

just about more practice and also analyzing your flow to look for places where you can do two things at the same time and look for ways to reduce work. eg. holding onto string ends instead of dropping on the floor. weave while the machine is tensioning.

or just move to a electronic, nowadays with electronic, anything slower than 20mins is considered a bad day. :P
    Thanks Kwun,

I will invest in an electronic machine soon, just became a dad 12 weeks ago so don't have much spare cash these days, lol.

Good tips though, will certainly do that.
    @Rimano Try to have some spare low end rackets to practice on whilst you don't have real ones to string some weeks, you can always buy cheap string. Keeping the practice going is what makes you faster and more consistent. I used to find last year when I had a period of a couple of weeks with no stringing to do, I was slow doing the first one back. You tend to lose the rhythm if you haven't done it for a while. Nowadays I average 2 a week which is perfect to keep the rhythm flowing.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.
    Last edited by InvincibleAjay; 01-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    to the OP.

what weight scale do you use?

when you compare, you need to make sure you compare fresh unused racket. as the first couple of times a new stringjob is used, 2lbs are lost.
    Something like this.

The only other reason I can think of is if I ask for 24lbs, do I get 24x26lbs?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like this.

I've got that very scale. Perfect for the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where can you buy that scale? I see so many using that particular one.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay mate and its cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-01Gx40KG...item51c126e57d

If you searching on ebay in your country, type 'digital fishing scales' and they should come up.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i got mine from ebay too. but it wasn't that cheap!!!

i think i paid around US$15 then.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rimano : Do you use B-150? It don't has the option to use fixed clamps. FME your 2lbs lower tension will be produced to using flying clamps. Regardless which flying clamp you will always produce a lower job.
    If you use a different machine with fixed clamps, your clamps or not well made and adjusted well. Some guys here own one clamp which cost the same as a PP machine. So their clamps can't be good, but I have no experience with PP.
    Maybe you don't let the weight drop to an even level. This can also produce a lower job.
    I would recommend manual pre stretch to move the slack out and you your jobs will feel tighter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast