What will you do if your partner keeps coaching you during a game?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Qidong, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If my partner is much better than me, I have no problems with that. But if a mediocre player keeps doing that during a game and you know most of his "advices" are garbages and nonsenses, what will you do to shut his/her mouth?

2. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Treat him with 15:0.

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

I meant my double partner. It did happen to me a few times. It's quite annoying. :mad:

4. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    It sure is frustrating .I have a player who often says "ok now lets go all the way "and as soon as he says that he continues to make error after error on good opportunities.All you can do is take care of yourself but if he/she continues with unsolicited advice and only you are succeeding in putting away rallies then you can mention that he is becoming a distraction towards your best efforts by giving you too much to think about.Alot of mediocre players feel that what works against other mediocre players will work as well for better opponents.Knowing where you are amongst the talent pool is key to your success of learning and growing in the game.I have found an effective key to making people recognize faults and abilities is to videotape them.A good thrashing is also effective but remember that you may face the same fate someday .One thing that often gets me is that alot of these players try to perform shots well beyond their abilities and then get upset that you are not able to recover from their bad execution.Case in point a slow crosscourt high dropshot from the back while off balance.It sure is amazing how well I can play when the partner understands proper rotation and uses the right shots in accordance with the principle of attack.Anyways I am getting off track here.Perhaps if you agree to a simple game plan at the beginning and say that you stick to it so no further discussion is needed otherwise just play your best and let your partner decide his own fate.That is why I love singles but doubles when both players are in sync can be truly rewarding as well but you both have to recognize where each contributes towards the game.

5. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    1 Can you treat him/her a few eggs(15:0) before playing the double?
    2 What other important facts that you didn't give us, like: is she your girl friend?

It sounds irrelevant but it might be the case here: when I was very young and started my first job as junior account, my 1 year elder half grade higher "lady-boss" kept on shouting at me. One day, other females colleage told me that that particular "lady-boss" was actually trying to attract my attention.

You didn't tell us who is he/she.
    1 If it is a female, I suspect that this is a "classical attention seeking". She might be your secrete admirer and create more talk to you.
    2 If it is a male,...

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

No, usually they are the players I never played with before. If I knew them, I would have simply avoided playing with them. Usually when we have 3 people practicing waiting for 1 more to start a double match, he/she will come to join in. And too bad, there are quite a number of mediocre players think they are good enough to coach other people. :eek:

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Sounds like a potential for on-court violence:p! Seriously, just ignore him/her if you know what you're doing (proper grasp of rotation). You could also be more proactive in looking for the 4th player for your group.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You need to do a couple of things, this person might be a good coach but a bad player so think about the information he is giving you.

Does it make sense? Are you learning from it or is it just silly?

Fair enough the place for coaching is not during the game but sometimes my partner does things they don't realise they are doing and I point it out and the game changes and likewise for myself.

The other thing I do is just explain to others who try it without knowing me is to explain that I have my coaching qualifications and am here to play, if they have a problem do not come onto the court with me in any future games, but always in a nice manner.

9. sjhuk

sjhuk Regular Member

:) The best is when my partner told me that the back tramlines were in for serving in a doubles game after I left a long serve. He was also trying to tell me we should always go sides and every time he missed a shot he said it was my shot. All I did was change the teams around within the 4 of us playing after the game, play another game and I just picked on him. He doesn't talk to me anymore:mad:

10. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    If it is a (one-sided) monolgue, it can be quite annoying. However, perhaps your partner is trying to encourage a dialogue... an exchange of ideas or strategy changes for better match results.

The best doubles teams in tennis usually have quite a bit of communication with each other. Tennis doubs is a bit more conducive to an ongoing dialogue after almost every point. I would think that some dialogue between badminton partners can also be very productive.

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Not knowing your exact circumstances, I will have to agree with Dill. You will have to judge for yourself. If the player is giving you reasonable advice regardless of how mediocre, then maybe there is merit. The other thing is that maybe he knows his limitations and level and expect that you being the better player help cover his shortcomings. At my club, we have a ex-HK National player but he's in his late 60's and obviously can't move as well so there will be shots that he will not able to retrieve because of his physical state and slower reflexes.

Badminton is a thinking game as the game is fluid in nature and it's more likely that a good partnership of mediocre players could beat a bad partnership of advanced players.

Obviously there are players who are legends in their own mind and will give you advice regardless. Recognize this and know that they will never change so you have two choices (a) ignore them and just focus on your game (b) kick their butts :D :D

There are obviously more choices than that.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    We have an infamous player in our club with a twist. The guy will bitch whenever his partner makes a mistake. What do we do with him? (a) ignore him and focus on our games (b) avoid him altogether :D

13. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Sometimes it's good advice, however, if it was first time playing with him, I'll just nod, then I won't play with him the next time.

14. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    Of course, I don't know the entire cirumstance, both of your personalities and playing levels but...

Maybe he's just trying to be encouraging?
    Or maybe it's wishful thinking aloud?
    Or maybe he wants to impress you?
    Or maybe he needs encouragement/advice from you and this is his way of creating a discussion?

Lots of possibilities here but I am just listing some positive ones. We all know the negative ones :)

Anyway, if it isn't any of the above or if this guy is what we Filipinos call "feeling" (kind of like "star complex"), then deliver a dozen eggs.

#14 annab, Dec 11, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  15. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    ive had the problem before i mean ive had really good players give me advice and i dont mind that because most of the time it does work for me but then there are a few of the beginners that think there so good that they can tell me what to do and try and give me helpful advice even though it wont work or its just stupid. well this might seem a bit harsh but i have two ways of dealing with this if its during a doubles game i will just tell him/her ok you know what your advice is not going to work and im sorry to say it but you dont know what your talking about sometimes its not as nice as that though but thats in the extream case. the second way which i handle this problem is to play them a 1 vs 1 and well just teach them a lesson and kinda rub it in as in why arnt you using your own advice now i know it can be looked at as being a bit harsh but thats if they really get to me. if there not being to annoying about it and i can just block them out for the rest of the gamei might just let it slide sometimes and well not play with them again.

16. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

I've the same experience before, he knows I'm a better player but he just can't help telling me what to do. He can't even hit from base to base with his forehand. When we start loosing, he will put all the blame on me and told me "You're hopeless". I've decided to follow with the rest of the players in the group and not to partner with him anymore. He left the group eventually.

17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I agree with Dill, the whole idea of "taking what is useful" out of the whole experience.

To relate how this is always true, even in the opposite situation:

I know a fellow baddy player who I sometimes play one on one against, who can beat me, and who I sometimes play partnered with. The problem is that he's got a big mouth-- he tends to say things beyond "useful". He won't particularly put you down and say that you're worthless, but he does tend to "overcoach".

Simply, he's a bad coach-- but a good player. A point to add in is that english isn't his primary or even secondary language, so messages get a little harsher sometimes. A lot of my friends have expressed that they don't like him, because he seems so bossy... but if you were to sorta ignore the bad parts, what it really comes down to is "is this person saying these things purposely to make me feel bad?" or "is this person saying these things because he/she is actually frustrated with their own playing?"

And if the questions answer is a "no", maybe it's just a "communication problem" or something; andit would be in our best interest to rise above it maturely, so that we learn things where normally, our sense of pride or deffensiveness might just dismiss anything the person said to us.

On that note, even people who talk too much might be doing so without realizing it, not really meaning to be annoying, maybe they just lack the concious self-awareness or they're too caught up in teh heat of the game. The best way is to correct their communication problem by communicating with them and telling them "hey, you know, you have a problem... of course, I mean that in the nicest possible way." :rolleyes:

18. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Well, since it is just a social situation and not a tounament, I would probably play even worst and get him/her more riled up... hehe. Or I would give "for sale/give away shots" if he is at net and let the opponents smash to their heart's content.. evil I know.. tsk tsk...

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    NASTY! heheheh.... thats a great idea :D :D i think i'll follow suit until he shuts :( up and :crying:

hehe

jug

20. kenlmw

kenlmw Regular Member

IT
    Introduce him Badmintonforum.com and see this thread :p