Sea Lion C1101 terribly slow

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by speedy, Dec 11, 2004.

1. speedy

speedy Regular Member

Last week my brother and I participated in a badminton tournament organized by one of the local halls. We're aggresive double players and entered the tournament with high hopes. However, to our astonishment, the shuttle being used is terribly,horribly slowww. I myself thought that the shuttle looked cheap.

But after surfing the net I found out that the sea lion c1101 is approved by IBF and is of the tournament grade. How could this be??? Although it is not up to the standard of International Tournament grade, to me it should only qualify as an amateur training birdie.

By the way it seemed that most sea lion shuttlecocks are slow. Compare with Gosen S-200 which is of the International Tournament grade and claimed to attain a speed of 350 kilometers per hour.

I'm really upset about this. Please share your valuable knowledge regarding this matter.

Thanks

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    each model of shuttlecock have various speed rating. the actual speed that a shuttlecock flies depends on the climate, weather, temperature and altitude of the badminton gym itself. so it is important to choose the correct speed.

in other words, it has little to do with the Sea Lion, but much to do with the organizer picking the wrong speed.

to complain that a shuttlecock model is too slow is like a 200lb guy complaining Levi jeans are too tight when he is trying on a size 28.

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Shuttles perform differently in different circumstances, in some halls they will perform as they should ie. correct speed for that particular hall, maybe this time the organisers chose the wrong speed?

*** Did you check the spped of the shuttle before play?***​

You should firstly have had a warm-up on the court before the game and after that before you decided who was serving first by either coin flip or spinning the shuttle you should have tested a couple of the shuttles to see if they hit the marking lines as indicated on the badminton court. If the speed was ok then it was just your imagination, if the speed was not ok then it is your obligation to point this out to the organisers, the shuttles are required by the laws of the game to be able to be hit underarm from one baseline and should land in between the two indicator lines just before the baseline on the other side!

These are the rules!

You only have yourself to blame in these circumstances I'm afraid :(

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sell those wrong speed shuttles to me :D I need SLOWWWW shuttles. I never played a shutte that i dont need to make adjustment to it. Steaming, testing , adjusting, retesting...... :(

5. speedy

speedy Regular Member

Thanks Kwun and Dill

You're right Dill. It seemed that the mistake was on me for being ignorant of the circumstances

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The last time it happened to me I thought it was down to using new strings, after I came off court to a team I would normally beat easily having lost I never gave it a second thought until someone came up to me and asked if the shuttles were slower than usual.

Because the hall was so warm I had discounted the shuttle because if anything they should fly faster in a warmer hall, that is why I thought it was the strings. :eek:

7. Pball

Pball Regular Member

right on the nose as usual Kwun..

each area has different ball speed requirements usually due to altitude, humidity and temp. Am currently testing several models of Sea Lion (we hope to work with them in the future.) and some China made brands.. even a 1mph difference in rating is a big factor ( one of the models sent by a generic manufacture was the wrong speed, I could actually hit the far WALL! LOL!!!).

On a side bar.. so far so good.. the Sealion cocks are preforming well in terms of flight and durability.

regards

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The gym temperature and humidity lvl could greatly effect the speed of the shuttle. I am also using sea lion shuttles in my club(s). However, 1 gym is much warmer (with heat) than the other (no heat). Therefore, it's very obvious the same shuttle react totally differently in 2 clubs.

My solution is to bring different shuttles (different speed) when i play in these 2 clubs. :cool: