Bad Stringing?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by chobo, Dec 12, 2004.

1. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    I have purchased two racquets from tads sporting goods in vancouver, and they are both strung with 22 main, and 24 crosses. when I look at other people's racquet, they all have 22 main, and 22 crosses; one even had 21 crosses only. i don't think anyone needs the 2 extra cross strings and they also make the racquet head look a bit weird sometimes. does this mean that the guy at tads is a bad stringer? also, does anyone know any place in coquitlam to get restringing done at a reasonable price?

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

theres nothing wrong with it. it doesn't mean whoever strung it is terrible either.

stringing practices depend on stringer habit, recommendations from manfucaturer and customer.

theres recommended patterns for particular racquets and such, and there are standard patterns for others.

3. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    but i dun think any racquet has a recommendation of 24 crosses..? anyway, to be specific, the racquets are cab20ms and at700. i dun think anyone gets those strung with 24 crosses

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Tad's practice of the 24 cross is to improve durability of the string as most mis-hits are near the top of the frame.

5. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    well is it possible to ask for a 22 cross stringing, or does the stringer at tads only do 24? i have heard from this guy i know that less strings (like fewer crosses or mains) gives you more power, is that true?

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Where are the two extra crosses located? If they are at the top, bottom, or even one top one bottom, wouldn't these extra strings form a much narrower gap with their respective adjacent strings? Would look a bit funny, wouldn't it?

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    More strings improves durability, while less improves rep. power. However, as long as the # of strings are within a reasonable range, the effect is quite minimal. ;)

8. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    there is one extra string on top and one more on the bottom. and yeah, they do look a bit odd...

9. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    o yeah, and i asked for a 26lbs on my at, and he gave me like at most 22lbs (i checked with other ppl). so my conclusion of the stringer at tads is that he is a horrible stringer and i'm probably never getting stringing there again:confused:

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You might be right, as you just get caught with a relatively un-experience stringer. However, there might be other factors:

1. Machine type / setting: Different machine has its own "method" due to different configuration. That's why it's always good to stick with 1 stringer, as the tension guideline is more accurate.

2. Different string: Usually, thinner string feel much more tighter than thick ones, once 1st strung. To my own experience, BG85 @ 23lb feel as tight as BG65 @ 25lb. :rolleyes:

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Private stringers will be a much better choice if you ask for AT at 26 lbs. I think whoever strung your racquet at Tad's intentionally lowered the tension to avoid problems. I had plenty of horrible experience with Tad's techniques up to 30 lbs. The guy uses an awl pathfiner and your racquet will probably get damaged.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Chobo,

I think there's more than one stringer working at Tad's so maybe the stringer who strung your racquet is new there. I have never had any problem with them beside the problem PeteLSD mentioned (using an awl to hold the last string for knot tying). Good luck finding a private stringer, there are many out there and most don't string higher than 23lbs. Ask around where you play and try to inspect the handiwork of the stringer in question before seeking him/her out.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If the strings at the top and bottom are very narrow this could infringe on the rules of stringing pattern density. The stringing pattern density in particular shall not be less dense in the centre than in any other area. In your case the centre is now less dense than the top and bottom. :cool:

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, the extra strings are okay. The problem with this shop is the use of pathfiner awls and the indiscriminate application of tension on the last cross string before typing the knot. The grommet is usually damaged - pulled and flattened - by the pathfinder awl and tension applied. The graphite surrounding the grommet is dented in as well.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If the extra strings at the top and bottom do make these area's stringing pattern more dense than the centre, then it is an infringement of the IBF rules. It maybe okay to play.

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Even without those extra strings, I think there are already areas of the racquet that infringe that rule (if we take it literally)